Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Winter Olympics in Beijing 2022

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm going to have to brake with protocol regarding Jutta Leerdam.

As much as I try not to be a filthy creep, every once in a while I'm forced into being 'that bloke'.

Jutta was the silver medalist into today's 1000m speed skating.

Anyhoo this is she

6bd24d5c6e5a537f4b4bd792effe580c.jpeg

Stunning.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hopefully they'll show the final,.on the concourses, on Saturday.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Great news. The drug cheating ROC ice skater ended on her arse, in tears and out of the medals.

Good to know that cheats don't always prosper.

You can think ‘drug cheat’ and celebrate her tears.

Or consider that a supremely talented CHILD, cynically exploited by her nation’s system, is the victim here.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Pleased the curlers are bringing some medals home, but you'd be forgiven in this country for thinking half the events on show were this one sport.
The BBC only have rights to show two live events at once, and it seems they always have curling on, and the other channel is shared by absolutely everything else.

Medals or no medals - show something else from time to time FFS.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
You can think ‘drug cheat’ and celebrate her tears.

Or consider that a supremely talented CHILD, cynically exploited by her nation’s system, is the victim here.

I will always celebrate a drugs cheat getting caught - and hopefully punished. I will always celebrate when their cheating fails.

You can't make excuses because of her age. The murderers of Jamie Bulger were 10 years old. Let them off because they are "only children" should we?

Yes, I am absolutely delighted she failed to win a medal. I have seen too many clean British athletes deprived of their moment on the podium by drugs cheats only to be awarded their medals some years down the line.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I will always celebrate a drugs cheat getting caught - and hopefully punished. I will always celebrate when their cheating fails.

You can't make excuses because of her age. The murderers of Jamie Bulger were 10 years old. Let them off because they are "only children" should we?

Yes, I am absolutely delighted she failed to win a medal. I have seen too many clean British athletes deprived of their moment on the podium by drugs cheats only to be awarded their medals some years down the line.

Do you think as a 14 / 15 year old she knowingly sought out PEDs herself? And was able to make an informed decision?

And to compare it to a pair of lads who knowingly led away a toddler to a horrific murder is a terrible analogy - a theme of this forum recently it seems

We've also seen many British athletes - as recently as the Tokyo games steal medals (British 4x100M relay) off other countries so lets get our own house in order before we start throwing 15 year olds under the bus

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Oh do **** off! What an utterly ridiculous, offensive, bit of false equivalence.

In both cases, youth is a factor that should be considered - that is as far as any comparison goes.

In one example, a toxic combination of immature minds, acted out unspeakable horrific events, all of their own volition.

In the other, a young child (her development will have been under the control of the state system since she was very much younger than she is now) has done nothing more 'evil' than follow her sporting dreams, and is probably guilty of no more than naively (not that she'll have had any choice) taking whatever 'supplements', and 'vitamins' her coaches and nutritionists handed to her.

There's no argument from me, that anyone found to have taken banned substances, needs to be stripped of any medals / rewards, to protect the integrity of the sport. That is a given. But it doesn't always follow that the young athlete is the actual baddie of the story, and sometimes they have my sympathy, as their years of dedication count for nought, due to the cynical actions of others.

Being pleased that she didn't win a medal is fair enough. Celebrating the tears of a devastated child, isn't a great look.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Oh do **** off! What an utterly ridiculous, offensive, bit of false equivalence.

In both cases, youth is a factor that should be considered - that is as far as any comparison goes.

In one example, a toxic combination of immature minds, acted out unspeakable horrific events, all of their own volition.

In the other, a young child (her development will have been under the control of the state system since she was very much younger than she is now) has done nothing more 'evil' than follow her sporting dreams, and is probably guilty of no more than naively (not that she'll have had any choice) taking whatever 'supplements', and 'vitamins' her coaches and nutritionists handed to her.

There's no argument from me, that anyone found to have taken banned substances, needs to be stripped of any medals / rewards, to protect the integrity of the sport. That is a given. But it doesn't always follow that the young athlete is the actual baddie of the story, and sometimes they have my sympathy, as their years of dedication count for nought, due to the cynical actions of others.

Being pleased that she didn't win a medal is fair enough. Celebrating the tears of a devastated child, isn't a great look.

I was thinking of making a post. There’s no need; the above captures exactly what I would have said.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Do you think as a 14 / 15 year old she knowingly sought out PEDs herself? And was able to make an informed decision?

And to compare it to a pair of lads who knowingly led away a toddler to a horrific murder is a terrible analogy - a theme of this forum recently it seems

We've also seen many British athletes - as recently as the Tokyo games steal medals (British 4x100M relay) off other countries so lets get our own house in order before we start throwing 15 year olds under the bus

It is clear to me that she has been told what to eat, drink and do by her controller/coach since she was very young.

It may be harsh but perhaps the only way to stop drug abuse in sport is much tougher bans and if a country such as Russia (and possibly China) has a history of continued abuse, they should be banned from Olympics and World Championships etc as a nation.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
It is clear to me that she has been told what to eat, drink and do by her controller/coach since she was very young.

It may be harsh but perhaps the only way to stop drug abuse in sport is much tougher bans and if a country such as Russia (and possibly China) has a history of continued abuse, they should be banned from Olympics and World Championships etc as a nation.

Russia has been banned as a country but, ludicrously, is allowed to compete as the Russian Olympic Committee or under the Olympic flag.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here