Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Windows 7 first impressions

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
Anyone else given it a go yet?

I have been trying to get Ubuntu working on either my laptop or desktop so as I can do away with Windows for the most part but having so far failed to get it into any sort of workable state I thought perhaps I'd try Microsoft's latest offering. After all, can't be any worse than Vista...

And I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised for the most part. I've gone for a dual boot on only a small partition of my laptop's hard drive and it runs remarkably well. Looks nice, seems capable. Only gripe I have is that the scroll feature of my trackpad doesn't seem to work which can get a bit frustrating but I'm sure this won't be forever.

I'm not generally a Microsoft fan but I have to admit it's so far so good with Windows 7. It's as if they've just released the version of Vista they should have in the first place, and tidied it up a bit having learned from their mistakes.

Remarkably simple, straightforward and quick to get it going. And here I am.

Horsham Gull

H Block Offender
Dec 4, 2006
Horsham
ok thanks i might wait anyway as there is an offical public beta coming through the offical channels soon :)

Today, however, Microsoft stuck to its earlier vague timetable. "The Windows 7 public beta is still expected in early 2009," a company spokeswoman wrote in an e-mail. She declined to respond to questions about what actions Microsoft would, or could, take against BitTorrent sites that list the pirated build.

Windows 7 is scheduled to ship late next year or in early 2010, according to statements made previously by Microsoft.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
This is the public beta. They've just leaked it so that millions of eager users will test it for them early

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
one of the beta testers accidentally on purpose leaked it on a torrent site and now its available to download from several sites. Microsoft know that it will be beta tested in far greater numbers than in the control group it originally released it to. Windows 7 is supposedly a superior mutation of Vista and will enable XP users to confidently upgrade to an operating system that works properly.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
Won't it be funny if DSG goes bust because PC sales fell through the floor because no-one wanted to buy one because it had Vista on it just before the release or W7.

I can tell you that Dsgi never made any money on Pcs.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I don't understand the hate for vista. I haven't had any problems with it. I'm not a pc nut who does all the technical stuff with it. I play music on it, I surf the net, work (writing stuff) and once in a while play round with movie maker.

What is the big problem with it?

Sonic

Spiky little bugger!
Jul 6, 2003
Patcham
I don't understand the hate for vista. I haven't had any problems with it. I'm not a pc nut who does all the technical stuff with it. I play music on it, I surf the net, work (writing stuff) and once in a while play round with movie maker.

What is the big problem with it?

Compatibility is the issue. Nero doesn't work properly unless you find a botch for it, and my Anti Spyware program which I purchased a year licence for prior to anticipating an upgrade to a laptop with Vista isn't supported, so I can't download updates. Even the educational software my son got for Christmas isn't supported, so one disappointed little boy who can't use the present his Auntie bought him. Bunch Of Arse!!

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
I've got Vista on a Dual Boot and since installing it and having a fiddle about for a few weeks I've not returned to it once (6months ago roughly), WinXP does everything I need it to do so dont see the need to make a permanent switch. Now with Win7 on the horizon I'm gonna just delete my Vista section and probably get the Win7 Beta so have a play with.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
You should Marc. I'm really enjoying it. I've suprised myself

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
You should Marc. I'm really enjoying it. I've suprised myself

I've only just got Vista, and to be honest I'm not sure what the hate is all about. Barely notice much difference from xp, and everytjing I've tried works fine.

How easy is it to upgrade to 7? not a total reinstall from scratch is it?

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
Nah you can upgrade and it's pretty straightforward as I understand it.

However I've gone for a fresh install so as not to lose my XP just in case

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I've only just got Vista, and to be honest I'm not sure what the hate is all about. Barely notice much difference from xp, and everytjing I've tried works fine.

How easy is it to upgrade to 7? not a total reinstall from scratch is it?

Did you not notice the little bit where it doesn't work with anything, takes over your entire pc and runs like a piece of shit??

You must have a dodgy copy mate :jester:

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
Did you not notice the little bit where it doesn't work with anything, takes over your entire pc and runs like a piece of shit??

You must have a dodgy copy mate :jester:

Works better than xp ever did for me!

But then, I do have a new computer so it's probably that the makes the difference...

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I hope it stays that way! But I can promise you XP on a new machine has less issues and runs better than vista.

But if it's all going well for you I can see why you might like it.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Got vista on a new computer last year and was total horse shit untill I re-installed everything after resetting to manufacturing settings.

I think a lot of the problems are retards at pc world and car phone wharehoouse who cluelessly install stuff thats out of date etc.

Works well at the moment and haven't even bothered with firefox yet.

Oh and as the other dude asked, is it ok to install windows 7, after backing up Shitsa that is.:)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here