Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Windows 7 first impressions

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Got vista on a new computer last year and was total horse shit untill I re-installed everything after resetting to manufacturing settings.

I think a lot of the problems are retards at pc world and car phone wharehoouse who cluelessly install stuff thats out of date etc.

Works well at the moment and haven't even bothered with firefox yet.

Oh and as the other dude asked, is it ok to install windows 7, after backing up Shitsa that is.:)

When I get a new PC the first thing I do is uninstall all the stuff the supplier 'helpfully' installed for me.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
When I get a new PC the first thing I do is uninstall all the stuff the supplier 'helpfully' installed for me.

well i took the view if it fucks up i'll fix it, true but time consumming with the amount of f*** ups. Firewall off, Modum software out of date, av software corrupted, safe/running mode conflicts and browser problems about 30 times.

I'll take your approach in future.:bowdown:

moving this on for me.

I have just bought a lap top with Vista already installed plus microsoft office for students and home (free trail)

do I just stick with this or remove Vista and load up XP and the office home profgramme I bought with my PC?

Please advise

LC

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Is it like a really (really) bad rip off of the latest Mac OS?

Vista was.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I don't understand the hate for vista. I haven't had any problems with it. I'm not a pc nut who does all the technical stuff with it. I play music on it, I surf the net, work (writing stuff) and once in a while play round with movie maker.

What is the big problem with it?

I have 64 bit Vista Business. I was going to upgrade my existing PC but the only things left on this PC now are it's mouse and keyboard. Granted I now have a very stable PC but apart from the hardware I have had to upgrade a lot of my software. (Nero 8 works fine BTW). The problem was a lack of compatibility with XP and before plus a lack of drivers.

However, at the end of the day I don't see any benefit over XP.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I have 64 bit Vista Business. I was going to upgrade my existing PC but the only things left on this PC now are it's mouse and keyboard. Granted I now have a very stable PC but apart from the hardware I have had to upgrade a lot of my software. (Nero 8 works fine BTW). QUOTE]

I run 64bit Ultimate, and it is just fine, also, I have no problems with Nero 7 once I had let it run the Nero Vista update. Not really got anything against Vista, but am running W7 on another PC, seems to do the job, but not really tried it on anything tought yet. What is supposed to be so much better on it, looks pretty much the same as Vista to me.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
moving this on for me.

I have just bought a lap top with Vista already installed plus microsoft office for students and home (free trail)

do I just stick with this or remove Vista and load up XP and the office home profgramme I bought with my PC?

Please advise

LC

To be honest LC unless you have any specific need to use XP I would just bite the bullet and keep Vista for now, at least until the final commercial release of Windows 7 is released.

Yes Vista is poor in many respects but if it is already up and running on your new laptop and seems to be running fairly smoothly then I think really it'd be more hassle than it's worth to downgrade.

Newer machines with fresh Vista installs for every day home use are fine for all intents and purposes. It's just a little irritating in places but if you've not got any compatibility issues I'd stick with it.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
moving this on for me.

Please advise

LC

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Is it like a really (really) bad rip off of the latest Mac OS?

Vista was.

What makes you say that, they don't look or act anything like each other. The only thing that a Mac might have in common with a PC is that some Macs use Intel CPUs now.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
Well there are some obvious OSX similarities.

For one thing the transparent taskbar is somewhat reminiscent of the OSX dock, not to mention the fact that programs on the taskbar behave more like they do on the dock, in that it acts as a launcher as well as an app switcher.

Also the resizing of windows, I'm not sure but does OSX behave in the same way in that if you pull a window to the top of the screen it maximizes and if you move it in other ways you can set them to automatically tile or whatever?

I don't have enough experience of OSX but it feels like a very Mac idea to me

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Ok I have a mac and a vista pc. Vista is more like OSX than XP was. It took some of the ideas behind OSX to make windows better. Which I for one am glad for. Windows 7 seems to take that further with the dock idea. I don't blame them I don't think they copy. I just think apple are often the first to do good new things.

Like the iPhone... how many lookalike touchscreens have we seen since it's launch? lots, they're not all complete rip offs, but they have definately followed apples lead.

Oh, and that's not to say that Windows doens't have any of its own ideas... course it does. and I'm actually looking forward to Windows 7!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here