Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wimbledon this year, and tennis in general

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Has men's tennis ever been as exciting as this? We are witnessing one man who is touted as the greatest tennis player who ever lived, another who is apparently the greatest tennis player of the day, and incredibly neither player can be sure of winning it, thanks to the presence of the brilliant Djokovic (unbeaten in 2011 until last month) and an increasingly consistent Murray buoyed by home support. And then you've got players like Soderling, Del Potro, Malisse and this Aussie kiddie Tomic, who would probably all be top 4 players themselve if they had been playing at another point in history.

Even in the days of Connors/McEnroe, Lendl, Sampras and Agassi, there were rarely more than 3 or 4 players who could consistently challenge for top honours.

What a shame women's tennis is so shithouse, tempered by the presence of a few absolute hotties I suppose which is not much consolation for female tennis fans I suppose.

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Agree about the standard of play being very high at the moment in the mens but I think the womens Grand Slams are exciting because it's not easy to pick a winner. I think anyone of the quartet of Maria Sharapova, Victoria Azarenka, Sabine Lisicki or Petra Kvitova all stand a chance and are decent young players.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Has men's tennis ever been as exciting as this? We are witnessing one man who is touted as the greatest tennis player who ever lived, another who is apparently the greatest tennis player of the day, and incredibly neither player can be sure of winning it, thanks to the presence of the brilliant Djokovic (unbeaten in 2011 until last month) and an increasingly consistent Murray buoyed by home support. And then you've got players like Soderling, Del Potro, Malisse and this Aussie kiddie Tomic, who would probably all be top 4 players themselve if they had been playing at another point in history.

Even in the days of Connors/McEnroe, Lendl, Sampras and Agassi, there were rarely more than 3 or 4 players who could consistently challenge for top honours.

What a shame women's tennis is so shithouse, tempered by the presence of a few absolute hotties I suppose which is not much consolation for female tennis fans I suppose.

I've said on here several times recently that I think the current mens top 10 is probably stronger than at any tme before - that I can remember, anyway, and I loved the Borg era. Certainly Rafa and Fed are above every one else, Djok and the Jock are just behind, but the others are fantastic players too. The quaity of tennis is quite amazing at times, I don't think you can appreciate on TV just how hard they are hitting the ball and how fast they move around the court.

Shame the same can't be said of the womens game, it's not so good at the mo - I now find it practically unwatchable anyway now, with the ridiculous grunting .... something the authorities should have stamped on ages ago - pure sportsmanship.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Sabine Lisicki

She has had a brilliant tournament, putting out Li Na was a great achievement, she was 15:40 down facing two match points and served 4 unreturnable first serves to win that game. That effort is one of my most memorable from this year. All of this and this time last year she was having to learn to walk again after a bad injury. Shame she german really.

She also has a very good chance in the doubles teamed up with Stosur

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Gamesmanship :)

Of course, I was caught between unsportsmanship (that didn't sound right, especially for the ladies) and Gamesmanship (which once I'd said it 5 times in my head, didn't sound right either). Trust Lilly Law to pick it up - I'll come quietly gov.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I watched Lisicki vs bartoli yesterday and thought it was decent enough entertainent. Agree about the grunting though, sharapova really takes the piss and I can only stand about 2 minutes of watching her

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I just turned on the telly to catch the latest Wimbledon goings on and yet I find Bargain Hunt on BBC1 and live coverage from the House of Commons on BBC2.

Where's the tennis?

And for what it's worth I'm going with Fed to equal Sampras' record this year

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I just turned on the telly to catch the latest Wimbledon goings on and yet I find Bargain Hunt on BBC1 and live coverage from the House of Commons on BBC2.

Where's the tennis?

And for what it's worth I'm going with Fed to equal Sampras' record this year

The mens doesn't start til 1.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton

Where's the tennis?

Coverage doesn't start until midday each day.

I've been thoroughly enjoying it this year

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
the quality of mens tennis atm is phenominal.

i also dont think people realise just how difficult it is to make a go of being a professional tennis player. it really must be the hardest sport to break into, which makes watching the game so much better when you can appreciate just how good they are

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Agree with all you are saying about the Mens game....quality in depth. I have watched tennis since the 60's and this is so good right now. Fed and Nad get in my all time top 5 ( + Laver + Borg + Sampras ) and they are playing at the same time!
The womens game, however, is an embarrasment. I find it unwatchable. The screaming has gone beyond a joke and fans should now vote with their feet and stop going. It is going to kill the womens game and the authorities just ignore it.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
The screaming has gone beyond a joke and fans should now vote with their feet and stop going. It is going to kill the womens game and the authorities just ignore it.

In some ways the time wasting has gone the same way in the men's game but the umpires are too scared to give a point penalty. Nadal and Del Potro the other night were averaging 26 seconds each between the end of one point and the start of the next

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Fed smashing Tsonga at the moment - he's raced into a 3-0 lead in the first set.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Tsonga fails with a break point that would have taken it to 3-2 but instead it's business as usual and 4-1.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Tsonga is no mug - Thought this one would be closer than it is so far...!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here