Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wimbledon this year, and tennis in general

Boris Yeltsin

MR PRESIDENT to you, mate
Feb 13, 2008
Moscow
Is anyone going to watch the Mens Final on Sunday at the cinema in 3D? Cineworld tickets are £11. Bit too steep for me, I'll watch it normally on telly.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Is anyone going to watch the Mens Final on Sunday at the cinema in 3D? Cineworld tickets are £11. Bit too steep for me, I'll watch it normally on telly.

Tickets for the final for currently going for £10k a pop I hear today. Definitely watch it at home.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Has men's tennis ever been as exciting as this? What a shame women's tennis is so shithouse, tempered by the presence of a few absolute hotties I suppose which is not much consolation for female tennis fans I suppose.

I was watching the excellent "Pardon The Interruption" US sports chat show the other night and Tony Kornheiser was lamenting the state of US tennis. He made valid points that once the Williams Sisters down rackets there's absolutely no Yanks left in the women's game, and that now Roddick's on the wane there are no men either. He dismissed Mardy Fish as never having made a grand slam semi before, and cited the fact young kids in the States are playing other sports like golf, soccer and basketball.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I was watching the excellent "Pardon The Interruption" US sports chat show the other night and Tony Kornheiser was lamenting the state of US tennis. He made valid points that once the Williams Sisters down rackets there's absolutely no Yanks left in the women's game, and that now Roddick's on the wane there are no men either. He dismissed Mardy Fish as never having made a grand slam semi before, and cited the fact young kids in the States are playing other sports like golf, soccer and basketball.

They are only bothered about their own players, in their minds if they're not topping the world rankings at a sport, then it doesn't exist. It wouldn't surpise me if 50% of Americans thought Wimbledon was in Florida.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
They are only bothered about their own players, in their minds if they're not topping the world rankings at a sport, then it doesn't exist. It wouldn't surpise me if 50% of Americans thought Wimbledon was in Florida.

They are parochial but they still respect winners and Federer vs Nadal is regarded even there as unmissable television.

Tony Kornheiser totally dissed the Haye vs Klitschko fight. This is not big news over the pond.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
This lad Tomic is the story so far, it's like The Balkan War on a tennis court

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Talking about USA Tennis players - Great doubles match on Court 2 Bryan Twins serving to save the match at 11-12 in the fifth set

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Tsonga takes the third and now trails 2-1.

Amazing set really - after Tsonga broke, he had to work hard to hold every service game whereas Fed breezed through his. Damage was done though, and Tsonga won it.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Tsonga breaks Federer in the 4th set. COME ON my smiley Frenchman take it to a 5th set

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Tsonga is suddenly on FIRE.

Federer doesn't look quite so COOL and SUAVE now, innit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here