Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wimbledon Men's tennis - better or worse now?

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Watching the Fed steam over a hapless Frenchman last night I was still struck by how long the rallies are now in general. The serve/volley game seems to have totally disappeared , compared to what I saw in the 1970's and 1980's. Rallies then would often only last 3 shots, if that.

The ball has apparently been made heavier to slow up the speed, but also the grass has been changed too. But service speeds still seem high.

Interesting though to wonder how a guy like Clark Graebner who used to virtually rely on his service and then another Yank in the 1980's - who was it? Roscoe Tanner but there was another one - would cope now.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Was that indoors, having the roof closed has slowed the ball down slightly as well as there is more moisture in the air which is absorbed by the ball

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
thought they were saying the grass courts are slower, didnt know about the balls themselves. apparently the new babolat balls at the french open played quicker than the old ones.

also the pros arent using new racket technology, mostly older models/pro stock and are only using newer strings, so i would say the quality of the mens game has got better in terms of quality rather than putting it down to technology

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Was that indoors, having the roof closed has slowed the ball down slightly as well as there is more moisture in the air which is absorbed by the ball

Yes it was. I take it once the match has started with the roof closed, they won't open it up again. Whereas if the roof is open and then rain comes, they close the roof to allow the game to gon, but then do they open it again?

An article in "The Times" (I think) said the balls are heavier now at Wimbledon than at other tournaments. And fluffier...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Difficult to compare any sports across generations - personally I would say the mens world top 10 is possibly relatively the strongest it's ever been.
It's funny listening to PTI (US sports talking heads) they are really down on tennis as there's no American in the top 10.
'Tennis needs someone to step up'
'Women's tennis needs a strong Serena and Venus'.

Perhaps they are just talking US tennis needs ..., but you know without it they'll only be talking tennis for 2 weeks of the year. Like we used to (and to an extent still do).

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
It's funny listening to PTI (US sports talking heads) they are really down on tennis as there's no American in the top 10.
'Tennis needs someone to step up'
'Women's tennis needs a strong Serena and Venus'.

Perhaps they are just talking US tennis needs ..., but you know without it they'll only be talking tennis for 2 weeks of the year. Like we used to (and to an extent still do).

The Beeb interviewed Pat Cash a couple of nights ago about the decline of Aussie tennis, even more devastating if (like me) you remember the Rosewall/Laver/Emmo/Newk/Roche/Stolle days.
Aussie tennis is now down to hoping Leyton Hewitt can get back something of his former grit. Some chance.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's a brave new world out there.
Is tennis the most/best internationally represented sport, for the elite athletes.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
The Beeb interviewed Pat Cash a couple of nights ago about the decline of Aussie tennis, even more devastating if (like me) you remember the Rosewall/Laver/Emmo/Newk/Roche/Stolle days.
Aussie tennis is now down to hoping Leyton Hewitt can get back something of his former grit. Some chance.

But where the US and Aussie have fallen behind, all the other countries, particularly Eastern European have caught up an overtaken - China will too before long (Li Na has in the ladies). I would say the ladies is not as strong as it has been, partly becuse Venus and Serera have been so much better than everyone else, even if they play little tennis. Bring back Steffi !!!

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
It's a brave new world out there.
Is tennis the most/best internationally represented sport, for the elite athletes.

Football surely SB. After football probably athletics, you do not see many African/South Asian tennis players.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I mean there are only really 4 men competing now and then odd freak result but there few and far between

True to an extent, particularly in the slams, but the top players plan their season around the big 4 events. However, you have the likes of Soderling. Tsonga,
Del Porto (a slam winner), Ferrer, Berdych etc. who are all terrifc players.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
But where the US and Aussie have fallen behind, all the other countries, particularly Eastern European have caught up an overtaken - China will too before long (Li Na has in the ladies). I would say the ladies is not as strong as it has been, partly becuse Venus and Serera have been so much better than everyone else, even if they play little tennis. Bring back Steffi !!!

Yes she was (is) gorgeous. I lived in Germany when she and Boris were both World No. 1 - the matchmaking that went on in the German media! Almost like they wanted a Superkind.. Boris was born in Leimen outside Heidelberg and Steffi in Bruhl near Mannheim so they were virtually neighbours then.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Yes she was (is) gorgeous. I lived in Germany when she and Boris were both World No. 1 - the matchmaking that went on in the German media! Almost like they wanted a Superkind.. Boris was born in Leimen outside Heidelberg and Steffi in Bruhl near Mannheim so they were virtually neighbours then.

Yup, I'm not surprised. I played against Boris, once upon a time.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
right now we have the 2 greatest players of all time IMO in Feds and Nadal.

I mean there are only really 4 men competing now and then odd freak result but there few and far between

Not really, but I suppose if you're the sort that doesn't really follow tennis except when it's on TV it may appear that way.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK

As someone who plays a lot of (bad) tennis and has been a tennis club convenor on and off for some 19 years I can state catagorically that men's tennis is currently at an all time peak which we should admire while it lasts. Not only do we have the greatest ever player in Federer we have the greatest ever clay court player in Nadal and a supporting cast who would, in former eras, have been World number 1. The reason it is so strong is that it is so competitive. Journeymen tennis players have to play 50 weeks a year just to maintain their year on year points , which drop off in 12 months time on a rolling programme. I love the men's game no;, power, speed, lots of elegant skill and with video technology being so available, small weaknesses are exploited and render players vulnerable.
The ladies game on the other hand is poor. Bland, not very quick and a lot of grunting.

As for the Americans they are not strong at the moment and can moan as much as they like, I suppose a bit like their current golfing performances. As for the Australians the boy Tomic will be very good, I think he is only 18?

I recommend anyone to take the game up. Keeps you fit and a good fun sociable game, well it is so here in Scotland, can't speak for the Southern game. I seem to remember tennis Brighton as being a bit of a snooty game.

TNBA

TTF

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Football surely SB. After football probably athletics, you do not see many African/South Asian tennis players.
Obviously, your right about Soccerball.
I was going to add a load of long winded caveats, that would eventually exclude football!.

My next train of though was athletics, but discounted that what with the variation between shot put and a marathon.

Plus I thought Morocco, et al, had some decent tennis players, not to mention China coming onto the scene.

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
Off on a tangent here but tune into centre court on the red button. Azarenka has the most ridiculous grunt ever . She is still grunting when the other bird hits it

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Unfortunately, I just can't get that excited about tennis these days. There is no doubting the ability and fitness of the top players but what is lacking are the myriad of characters from the old days that you cared about. As a youngster Wimbledon was essential viewing to watch the likes of Borg, McEnroe, Nastase, Connors, Lendl, Villas, to name but a few. And late evening you could always depend on a great doubles match.

Ask the man in the street to name the top 20 men's players and they will struggle.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think the Top 4 players in Men's Tennis are as good as any quartet in any previous era. There's just not the same charisma - the golden age for that was Connors, Nastase, McEnroe.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here