Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wimbledon Men's tennis - better or worse now?

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
in terms of upcoming players that Aussies and Americans can get excited about, theres Aussie Bernard Tomic whose looking good, altho think he has a bad attitude, i remember reading somewhere he refused a hitting session with hewitt saying he wasnt good enough!

in terms of Americans they have Ryan Harrison who is currently the only teenager in the top100 (just) and hes looking good. Also his younger brother Christian is meant to be even better than him. Ryan Sweeting is getting better and better too so i dont think they have too much to worry about any time soon.

Wait until Dimitrov gets a bit older, his 1 handed backhand is absolutely SUBLIME

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Unfortunately, I just can't get that excited about tennis these days. There is no doubting the ability and fitness of the top players but what is lacking are the myriad of characters from the old days that you cared about. As a youngster Wimbledon was essential viewing to watch the likes of Borg, McEnroe, Nastase, Connors, Lendl, Villas, to name but a few. And late evening you could always depend on a great doubles match.

Ask the man in the street to name the top 20 men's players and they will struggle.

I'm with you Micky...I don't even tune into the first week now...only get interested at the Semi's and Final.
The womens game is quite dreadful and totally swamped with characterless eastern Europeans. The mens is better but as long as you are six foot eight with a massive serve you will earn a living on the circuit. Serve and volley...you can stick it where the sun don't shine....give me my Borg...give me my Geralaitis ( sorry Vitas if spelt wrongly )...give me that glorious sunlit evening at Wimbledon in 77 when two men played one of the most brilliant and bewitching all-court games of all time.Training partners, best friends but no quarter asked and none given. Show it to every kid in every school in the land and let them fall in love with the game.
Give us our characters back. ( and that applies to most other sports as well ! )
You won't get any better

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here