Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Wimbledon 2024

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
:O

The fortnight of the year where Britain goes absolutely bonkers for Tennis. I love all tennis so The All England Tennis Championships are always a very special time of the year. Polly and Giles have got tickets on Court One tomorrow, as guests of Pat Phillips. I have promised them it will be an absolute hoot.

Last edited:

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Aryna Sabalenka has had to drop out through injury. @Tom Hark Preston Park will be devasted

1719837181094.png

Worth a pic.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Didn't want this to slip under the radar...

Having come through qualifying, Sonay Kartal beat the 29th seed Sorana Cirstea today 3-6 6-2 6-0.

Sonay lives in Brighton, trains at the Pavilion & Avenue Tennis Club and went to Longhill.

If she can overcome Clara Burel in the 2nd Round, she's likely to face Coco Gauff in Round 3. :)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Interesting article in the Sunday Times (well I thought so), about the All England Club looking to expand Wimbledon from its current 42 acres to around 115 acres, including a new 8,000 seater stadium and 38 new grass courts on the site.

To do this, in 2021 they paid Merton District Council around £65m to purchase the land of an adjacent golf course, which still had 20-odd years left to run on its lease. On top of that, they've also had to shell out £85,000 to each and every one of the golf club members (which include amongst its luminaries Ant & Dec, and Piers Morgan). This all without having acquired rubberstamped planning permission for the new development (which Merton approved).

Local residents have objected to the plans, as have Wandsworth Borough Council now, who have a small portion of the land within their borders, on the northern side of the proposed development (sound familiar ?). So its all heading towards a public enquiry.

I expect enough palms will end up getting greased to push this through eventually, but the AEC had planned to have spades in the ground by the end of 2021. Don't hold yer breath, tennis fans. We know how this goes.

medwayseagull reborn

Oct 12, 2022
I was there yesterday having got tickets through the public ballot - No 1 court and a pretty good view. Prenty uneventful apart from the late withdrawal which we hadn't realised until we saw two different players. By the time the Sinner game started it was getting very chilly. Having never been before they employ a lot of people in various capacities but it does make it a pretty well run event.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Interesting article in the Sunday Times (well I thought so), about the All England Club looking to expand Wimbledon from its current 42 acres to around 115 acres, including a new 8,000 seater stadium and 38 new grass courts on the site.

To do this, in 2021 they paid Merton District Council around £65m to purchase the land of an adjacent golf course, which still had 20-odd years left to run on its lease. On top of that, they've also had to shell out £85,000 to each and every one of the golf club members (which include amongst its luminaries Ant & Dec, and Piers Morgan). This all without having acquired rubberstamped planning permission for the new development (which Merton approved).

Local residents have objected to the plans, as have Wandsworth Borough Council now, who have a small portion of the land within their borders, on the northern side of the proposed development (sound familiar ?). So its all heading towards a public enquiry.

I expect enough palms will end up getting greased to push this through eventually, but the AEC had planned to have spades in the ground by the end of 2021. Don't hold yer breath, tennis fans. We know how this goes.
It's been in Private Eye. I think there is common land or similar that they want to develop as part of it. There is something a bit iffy about it anyway

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Draper is annoying me, he is trying to play it safe and being found out by the Swede now. Having a hissy fit with his racket is not a good look.

He needs to take a few risks if he is going to close out this set and the match

Wobbling

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Well played Ymer, you deserved to win that set

If Draper doesn’t up his game, he’s toast

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
He has upped his game and being more aggressive, now don’t let it slip again by trying to play safe like you’re coached by Southgate :lolol:

Last edited:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Cameron Norrie in a race against the light out on Court 3, two games from victory at 4-2 in the 3rd

Also good to see Katie Boulter earlier (and any time) 😍

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here