Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Will you vote tactically today if you think your preferred party cannot win your seat?

Are you a tactical voter?

• Yes - I will go with least worst option that can win

Votes: 54 61.4%
  • No - I will always go with a party that has the right policies for me

Votes: 34 38.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
In a democracy the poor will have more power than the rich, because there are more of them, and the will of the majority is supreme - Aristotle

Ah, Aristotle. What a naive little bugger

https://newsthump.com/2019/12/12/vote-tory-urge-newspapers-owned-by-billionaire-tax-avoiders-2/

Vote Tory, urge newspapers owned by billionaire tax avoiders

The Sun, Daily Mail, The Express and The Telegraph have urged their readers to vote Conservative in the upcoming general election in a selfless bid to protect their owners’ vast wealth.

Linking Jeremy Corbyn to Islamist extremism, The Sun tells everyone to ‘Make sure you vote for the Tories’, which confused its readers who had been planning to vote Conservative.

The Daily Mail uses its front page to implore the nation to ‘vote to save Britain’ and accuses Mr Corbyn of ‘Befriending Britain’s enemies', which in this case are terrorists, not, as they’d previously stated, the British judiciary.

The Express warns ‘Vote for Boris Johnson, or we face disaster’ as it links the Labour Party to an icy polar blast that will send temperatures plummeting to -1000 °C for a period of a million years.

Voter Simon Williams revealed he was delighted that the newspapers were packed with helpful advice.

“I’m not interested in politics because it doesn’t really affect me,” he said.

“But if I can do my bit to ensure we get Brexit done, because apparently that’s the important thing, then I’m happy to do my bit.”

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I honestly cant understand people that want the Tories out but refuse to vote tactically, they will be the main reason they get in.

What is even more frustrating is the Parties refusing to work together even slightly.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I honestly cant understand people that want the Tories out but refuse to vote tactically, they will be the main reason they get in.

What is even more frustrating is the Parties refusing to work together even slightly.

Exactly... They'll get in with 45%..... but the Libdem coalition messed it up big time for those of us who liked switching between Lab and Lib to keep the Tories out... and i will take a long time to resolve. I predict we are going to see seats in Cornwall with the Tories getting under 40% and winning, because the Libdems will be recovering from their shellacking in 2015/2017 but Labour vote won't be falling away quickly enough. Labour are now the challenger in most seats but that isn't the preferred second option for many.... Back pre-coalition days Libdems held all the seats down here.

Scotland will be the same, 4-way splits in some seats...

If... IF.... there is a hung parliament again then they will have to work together or we'll have a May election.... would be good to see.... but I imagine a Tory party given a big majority on a minority vote will rule as if they had some big mandate...

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
No ...

pocketseagull

Dec 29, 2014
So you don't vote with your conscience then? Fair enough, each to their own :shrug:

Personally I think voting for the party best placed to stop a tory majority even if it means you don't get to pick your party, is voting with your conscience.

Country before party and all that.

D

Deleted member 2719

I think you will find that God knows everything.

B*gger

That's because you move in a circle of like minded, insular, selfish people, who couldn't care a toss about their fellow man!

That's where your wrong it's because I care, if you ask anyone that knows me, you will find I am a giver, not a taker.

However, if someone takes advantage of me or tries to stitch me up (in this case Corbyn), I will fight to the death. :D

Watford bloke thinks he is God
regards
DF

Watford's more like Mary.......................Mungo.......................or Midge.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
B*gger

That's where your wrong it's because I care, if you ask anyone that knows me, you will find I am a giver, not a taker.

However, if someone takes advantage of me or tries to stitch me up (in this case Corbyn), I will fight to the death. :D

Watford's more like Mary.......................Mungo.......................or Midge.

Sorry, Jeremy Corbyn has personally tried to “stitch you up”? Care to explain...!

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Of course. Johnson and his cabinet of greedy liars need to be stopped. Do whatever gives us the best chance of that.
And it’s very much voting with your conscience, think of all the Brexiteers and Tory voters we are trying to save from themselves.
Every non-Tory vote that is cast is a gift to the permanently bewildered.

Last edited:

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I’ve kinda voted tactically. As I have voted for a certain main party for the very first time as I want my current MP and his party to change away from their current direction and focus. My issue is the total paralysis in this country and my traditional vote will just cause that to continue. We can’t afford another hung parliament. We need to move forward even if it’s not in the direction I voted for in 2016. My traditional vote has been Labour (partly because of my membership of the unite union). But I am a realist, Corbyn et al are just so unelectable imo. I want us to move beyond this point and then be able to shape our nation from that point on. I am hoping Corbyn and momentum move on and we can have a credible labour leader. I can’t go LD as they want to cause more division in this country by just ignoring the 2016 vote.
Whatever comes of Boris winning a majority, whether it leads to Scotland having independence or whatever else. We need a a change form this current crop of politicians and a change in our politics. I just wish Labour hadn’t gone back to tax and spend and had a more prudent plan. Also they should have had a clear direction on Brexit instead of this crazy new deal idea. So for the first time, I’ve voted blue. Even though I think the Tory candidate won’t get in in my constituency.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Go with your conscience or don't vote at all.

IMHO 'tactical voting' is a vile concept and an abuse of your vote.

Absolute nonsense. The value of my vote does not lie in influencing the number of votes gained by each candidate in my consituency it lies in influencing what can affect my life and that of the nation (i.e. what goes on in parliament).

Tactical voting is voting with your conscience. My conscience won't let me vote for the person who won the seat last time, as the record is abysmal.
I don't agree with everything the second place candidate stands for but it is a way of kicking out the useless winner.

Tactical voting helped the Seagulls party put the wind up Lewes District council in 2007, and cost two of them on the Planning Committee their seats. I think you'll find that had a great effect, even though none of the 4 Seagulls party candidates actually won a seat.
Think it through.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Tactical voting is voting with your conscience. My conscience won't let me vote for the person who won the seat last time, as the record is abysmal.
I don't agree with everything the second place candidate stands for but it is a way of kicking out the useless winner.

Tactical voting helped the Seagulls party put the wind up Lewes District council in 2007, and cost two of them on the Planning Committee their seats. I think you'll find that had a great effect, even though none of the 4 Seagulls party candidates actually won a seat.
Think it through.

I really do think you all treat the majority of the electorate with far too much intelligence - tactical voting - most will just vote for what they know and love... or for what will do them the least damage.

The tactical voting scenario only really works when a candidate for a particular party is withdrawn from an area, so people HAVE to pick an alternative.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here