Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will you still feel the same if Bennett stays

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
But Glenn Murray seems to be doing ok.

That was reported to be due to family/settling issues not based on money which we can assume is the case here. I can't remeber the instances of when Glenn handed in requests but I doubt they were 3 days before the close of the transfer window.

TheBlueAndWhiteStrips

May 27, 2009
Huntingdon
If he plays for Brighton I will back him and give him my full support. I can't blame a man for wanting more. Norwich stand a good chance of getting to the Premiership. The lure of playing away to clubs like Liverpool, Chelsea and Manchester United would be hard to resist for any 22 year old. Who wouldn't want that chance.

To not back him is frankly childish.

Mammoth

Kickin' back
Jan 28, 2011
Manchester Ship Canal
Hope he stays and does well but.... lingering suspicion he's wearing delia's yellow undies beneath the blue and white

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
No change really from me. It's not like we sing loads of songs about our players so as long as people don't boo him then I can't see anything changing at games.

I really hope we don't boo him

Sep 14, 2006
Philadelphia
I think the young man has made a mistake. He is under contract and should have asked Mr. Poyet and Mr. Bloom to share under what circumstances they would let him go and make sure his agent understood those terms clearly. Putting in a transfer request on the eve of a big game and on the 28th January is bad form. If it was Arsenal, then no one is holding him back, but Norwich? Lest we forget that a certain Mr. Murray did ask to leave and is still here and much loved? If EB puts his head down and continues to play well and doesn't create a cloud over the club, I imagine this all blows over. We get promoted, his contract is "improved" and love continues. I hope this is how the story ends. Young men makes mistakes, even some of us older ones do to. Let's see what he does with his boots on.

AMEXican Wave

AMEX Ruffian
Sep 21, 2010
No, the romance is dead. I hope he stays for the rest of the season just because we can't replace him in two days, but once the Notts County away match is over he can f*** right off.

Absolutely. If he had handed in his transfer request at the beginning of the transfer window, fine. We could have told him we'd look for a replacement, and if we can get one, he can go for the right money. But his timing is disgracefully selfish and shows no regard for the club.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
On the Murray request he was not right personally so I think it is unfair to compare the two requests.

That was reported to be due to family/settling issues not based on money which we can assume is the case here. I can't remeber the instances of when Glenn handed in requests but I doubt they were 3 days before the close of the transfer window.

I can't remember the exact dates either, but the transfer requests, coupled with his not applauding the fans led to him getting a lot of abuse. Yes, there were some on here pointing out his circumstances, but generally he came in for a lot of unqualified abuse, and now he is viewed as our best player and essential to the team. Which is more the point. Bennett handing in a transfer request has made him drop in a lot of people's opinion, and there have been a lot of people saying some nasty things. The question was raised over whether it was possible for the fans to forgive him and feel for him again the way they used to. I would argue the low feelings people had of Murray after the Brentford game for not applauding, compounded by the history of transfer requests, were worse than the feelings people have for bennett at the moment and see how they have turned around for Murray? They can turn around for Bennett, too.

Not true.

Wouldn't like to quote my source (it's reliable, blah blah etc) but from what I've been told, he had agreed to join Southampton, only to be told by them that they didn't like his medical and as a result, he was let go. He's very injury prone, something to do with either his back or his knee, I can't remember which. Either way, Southampton turned him down and then we offered him a contract with revised details, which basically meant that if he was to try to leave again, or if his injury forced him into retirement, he'd only get paid a very small percentage of his contract.

Never got the Calderon love in, he wanted to leave, Gus said he'd never play for the club again. How he's managed to captain the side this year I'll never know.

Fair enough, I'm basing my understanding of the situation on what the parties said publicly. Either way, the point remains he had fulfilled his contract to us, and had not signed the new one, so wasn't our player.

I'd also argue that most people have forgiven him. Most would agree he hasn't found the top form of last year, but I don't see sly digs at him, no clear bias in the player ratings, no questioning of his loyalty or dedication after poor games, etc.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
No, the romance is dead. I hope he stays for the rest of the season just because we can't replace him in two days, but once the Notts County away match is over he can f*** right off.

I wish you would hand in a transfer request.

If we do get promoted how do you think we are going to cope in the Championship without player like Bennett? Man up for gods sake and stop acting like a child.

tubaman

Nov 2, 2009
I won't feel the same about Bennett but he will still get my support. What I can't understand is why he has put a request in now only 2 days before the window closes knowing that the Chairman won't let him go. What does it achieve? As TB said , nothing has changed.............so why? Is it just to wind us up and see how many enemies he can make??

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Anybody is entitled to look elsewhere to better themselves. All Bennett has done is exactly what 99.9999% of people on here would do. He has had a chance at making more money playing for a team that is currently better placed. Given that a professional footballer's career is nowhere near as long as most people's and the fact that one injury can end it for good I have no complaints. I would be sorry to see him go but I cannot see why people get so upset, the bloke just wants to better himself. You can bet your bottom dollar if he was one of our lesser players doing the same thing nobody would be very bothered.

This. Could not agree with you more.

If I got offered another job, earning substantially more money, with a company that had a possibility of winning a new multimillion pound contract (meaning further increased wages and reputation) then I would jump at the chance. Yes its sad to leave things behind especially when you are enjoying where you currently work but if you look at it from an employment point of view its an fairly easy decision.

As long as Bennett acts well in the wake of his request being turned down I see absolutely no reason to not support him like every other player.

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
I remember that feeling of euphoria when I clicked on The Argus link that told us Calderon had signed his contract; and that after he'd supposedly walked out on us.

I'm hoping to have a similar feeling in the next few days

ps - when does the actual window close? I seem to remember there was an extension last year due to bank holidays or something . . .

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
If Benno stays he will still be an ace player , Muzza wanted to go and is still here and we have forgiven him.

TheBlueAndWhiteStrips

May 27, 2009
Huntingdon
I remember that feeling of euphoria when I clicked on The Argus link that told us Calderon had signed his contract; and that after he'd supposedly walked out on us.

I'm hoping to have a similar feeling in the next few days

ps - when does the actual window close? I seem to remember there was an extension last year due to bank holidays or something . . .

Apparently it's Monday 31st at 11pm.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
load of rubbish, you cant blame him for wanting to be in there squad, their pushing for premier league this season, if he stays wicked - hes really important to the club

100% backing from me

and will be chanting him on tomorrow

Sorry but that English is fecking terrible. :lol:

krakatoa

Jan 21, 2010
HOVE
I've never quite understood the near hero worship some on here have had for Bennett. He's certainly a hard-working asset to the team at this level, but if he went to Norwich and they got promoted, I'd be amazed if he could cut it in the premiership.

pal4life

Sep 6, 2008
I'm sure it's a money thing and it would be a logical way to get a better wage. I really hope we keep him as he is such a class player.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
for me as probably already said its the timing if he said at begining of month than at least you knew where you stood .with three days remaining dont sound or feel very helpful

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
He will get my 100% backing, a quality player who has a massive future ahead of him. I just hope the next few years are with us. If Gus can resist the opportunity of Championship football with another club then the players should have the same belief that they can get us to where Gus wants to take us.

No booing or backlash from this fan

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Originally Posted by The Complete Badger

I wish you would hand in a transfer request..

:lolol:

bhamex1901

Dec 20, 2010
My feeling will never quite be the same for him however even if he leaves ill still respect his skill and drive for the time he was with us. Personally the goal at Oldham last year was his best for us - in the moment it left his foot. He leaves me with some good memories.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here