Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will you still feel the same if Bennett stays

MrShaun15

Aug 28, 2010
if he stays yes, why not? hes still in blue and white, and he will still be fcking dynamite :D

Sergei Gotsmanov

Russian international
Jun 3, 2007
Hove
I feel like you would if your wife came home and said "i've had fun being with you but even though i told you last week that i will love you forever I have decided that i'd like to leave you for someone else" and that someone is not really any better than you just and little bit more mature and more established but you know that you will be capable of more than them i the next few years...then her dad stepped in and told her that she'd better not leave so she ended up staying with you.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Slightly disappointed but not surprised. But he's young and Norwich have probably waved megabucks under his nose in terms of wages, and he has the chance to possibly fast-track his career.

That said, I have every confidence that if we manage to hang on to him, he will flourish under Gus' tutelage and be twice the player for us in the Championship next season.

And I don't feel any different about him: he's a top player who deserves 100% backing while he wears the stripes.

cjwoolven

Jun 4, 2008
Anybody is entitled to look elsewhere to better themselves. All Bennett has done is exactly what 99.9999% of people on here would do. He has had a chance at making more money playing for a team that is currently better placed. Given that a professional footballer's career is nowhere near as long as most people's and the fact that one injury can end it for good I have no complaints. I would be sorry to see him go but I cannot see why people get so upset, the bloke just wants to better himself. You can bet your bottom dollar if he was one of our lesser players doing the same thing nobody would be very bothered.

This is exactly how i see it. the majority of people would do exactly the same in his position. one challenge can end a career, or one pull up in training, and you dont get another chance. He's a brilliant player who i dont want to see go, because he's very important for us, but you can't blame him for trying to better himself and get to play better football for more money.

However the way he has done it, (or agent, I dont know) is disappointing. He was potentially leaving us 3 days to find a replacement.

He's backed 100% by me and many others i presume, but the manner in which it has come about has quite obviously left a sour taste in some people's mouths.

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
Will I feel different - Absolutely.
I will feel like my club have finally moved to a new level and no longer get bullied into selling their best.

That's how I read this question.

Will I feel different about Bennett? As long as he's professional and continues to produce for the team - not really. For me though, the most important aspect of this is whether the club steps up to that next level - and tells others to go do one, we're building - not selling.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
But you were talking about Calderon. Look at what you quoted.

But calderon didn't agree to a deal with southampton, he just wanted to speak to them to hear what they had to offer before signing with us.

Besides, my point was more about the fans loving a player after he has handed in a transfer request but ultimately decided to stay (Calderon didn't do that, did he? He had fulfilled his contract with us, agreed terms on a new deal, then was informed of interest from saints and wanted the chance to hear wheat they had to say before signing with us. That's completely different to Bennett, who is under a current deal with us and put in a trransfer request, which has more in common with Murray, who was also under a deal with us when he handed in his transfer requests, and has turned it around and is now loved by almost all our fans (hitman excepted)).

Also the zero to hero thing would fit with the whole not clapping the fans and how allmost all the fans have forgiven him and now embrace him as a albion legend in the making.

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i see it as just part of the process. probably told to by his agent, maybe so that he can officially hear first hand what they have on offer. Murray handed in a request (couple of times?), he's still going strong. we should judge Bennett on his actions, if he stays and gives 100% then its no bother. if he stays and looks uninterested, give him some stick. if he goes, good luck to him, he's gone about everything the right way.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I haven't had a great attachment to any particular player in yuears. I don't know if it's an age thing or if there just hasn't been a player I've connected with, but because of this I don't think I feel so betrayed when a player considers or wants to move away. I actually find some of the vitriol towards him in the other threads quite embarrassing.

So yeah, I'm going to feel just the same.

Absolutely 100% THIS. Players come and players go. If a player wants to leave, then I wish them the best, forget about them and carry on supporting the team. In a few cases, I may take a slight passing interest in the rest of their career (like BZ for instance), but for the most part, when I hear of them or see them on the telly my only reaction is Oh, he used to play for us.

If Bennett stays then great, but if he goes, then f-eh

maidstoneseagull

Jul 21, 2004
Maidstone
If he stays and plays then Poyet thinks he is capable of doing a job and he should be backed like any other player. It's a shame that he wants to leave but can you blame him, a chance of Premier League football, more money etc. Personally I think he could have left it to the summer, but then a lot can change in 4-5 months.

On the Murray request he was not right personally so I think it is unfair to compare the two requests.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
All the time he is wearing our shirt he should be a hero as one of the best players here. Whatever has gone on for the last few weeks will be forgotten quickly if he carries on playing as he has been and gets us promotion

FalmerforAll!**

NSC's Most Intelligent
Oct 26, 2005
Burgess Hill
But calderon didn't agree to a deal with southampton, he just wanted to speak to them to hear what they had to offer before signing with us.

Not true.

Wouldn't like to quote my source (it's reliable, blah blah etc) but from what I've been told, he had agreed to join Southampton, only to be told by them that they didn't like his medical and as a result, he was let go. He's very injury prone, something to do with either his back or his knee, I can't remember which. Either way, Southampton turned him down and then we offered him a contract with revised details, which basically meant that if he was to try to leave again, or if his injury forced him into retirement, he'd only get paid a very small percentage of his contract.

Never got the Calderon love in, he wanted to leave, Gus said he'd never play for the club again. How he's managed to captain the side this year I'll never know.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here