Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will you be supporting England in the world cup?

D

Deleted User X18H

I intend to piss of most of my Neighbours with my over zealous support for England at all hours of the day, especially the one next door but two who told me last week he was going to the Old Stien I said what as in Rick he was the same one who said he did'nt like driving over the SIX dials.

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: OI COCKNEY f*** OFF:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :censored: :censored: :censored:

Last edited:

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
ATFC Seagull said:
Can't agree with that part. It all depends on the way in which you're brought up. For example, my father is Irish, my mother is mostly English, and I was born and brought up in Brighton.

I've been raised as an Irish citizen and sports fan by my dad, never got a say in that. I don't hate England or the English, its a great country which I've been lucky to live in. Do I always want England to lose at football? Yes, cos I'm not an Englishman or an England supporter, and its fun to take part in the traditional rivalries, for the same reason I like to see Palace or Rangers lose.

I don't think it goes beyond that for a lot of people these days - its fun.
Yeah it's a fair point (as is Uncle Buck's) and to be honest you're not really the type I was having a go at, I know West Indians born and bred in England who have been bought up in their own tradition. I was more aiming at the people who are largely English but have a drop (often no more than that) of some other blood, usually Irish, and use that as an excuse to loudly support whoever England are playing.

Most of the time I can live with it as it is just a harmless bit of posturing, If someone thinks they're Irish just because their Grandad was born in Dublin (as mine was) then fine, but not when the wheels are coming off another English World Cup bid.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Uncle Buck said:
But then have you ever lived in Ireland and do you hold a British or Irish passport.

Like Brovian I have the usual heinz variety ancestory, but was born in this country and support them and want to see the others fail.

Include me in there.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
This weekend, the JJB Sports Cross of St George will be making its appearance at Chateaux Wilcock in Mile oak.

Van up the road will no doubt be supporting his country of birth - Holland

Mile Oak is very cosmopolitain:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I always find the whole should we/shouldn't we support the other home nation debate really interesting.

For my part, I always used to support the other home nations when they were playing. For instance, when Wales so narrowly failed to qualify for the world cup in '94 I was almost as disappointed as I was with England's abject failure. The reason I supported the other teams is because, most people in England have Irish, scottish or welsh ancestry. So many of my friends had a parent or grandparents from one of those countries, and so many neighbours and acquaintances did too, that it was easy to consider them as one of your teams. We do, after all, all(apart from the Irish...) come from the same country, or 'union' so why wouldn't I support them when they were playing a 'foreign' team?

Now, however, I am ambivelant to the successes or failures of all of them. Why? Because I've got bored of all their constant harping about how they hate the English and want whoever we are playing to beat us. If they win or lose I don't really care(oh, alright, I did snigger a little when the Scots failed to beat the faeroe Isles. Twice.) I can't even bring myself to see them as real rivals either, they've all been crap for a long, long time.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Trufflehound said:
Personally I can't stand the fruit beers - far too sweet for my liking.

Try dipping into the wondrous realm of the trappists, in increasing order of greatness: Chimay, Westmalle, Achel, Orval, Westvleteren, and finally Rochefort (the beer on the left of the Duvel in my avatar is a Rochefort 10 - the world's greatest beer bar none :bowdown: :bowdown: ), and the planet will never be the same again... :thumbsup:
Good lord, lunch consisted of two Leffe Bruns (absolutely lovely and on draft) and a Rochefort 8 - sorry but an 11% beer at lunchtime when there's work to be done in a rush is a bit too cheeky - was hugely enjoyable. As with all strong, natural beers, I don't feel drunk but I'm in no mood to operate heavy machinery either. And sadly no Westvleteren to, ahem, talk of.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Man of Harveys said:
Good lord, lunch consisted of two Leffe Bruns (absolutely lovely and on draft) and a Rochefort 8 - sorry but an 11% beer at lunchtime when there's work to be done in a rush is a bit too cheeky - was hugely enjoyable. As with all strong, natural beers, I don't feel drunk but I'm in no mood to operate heavy machinery either. And sadly no Westvleteren to, ahem, talk of.

:clap2: Rochefort 8 is the discerning drinker's quaffing beer - lovely stuff. The 10 is more of a late night, last-one-before-falling-face-down-onto-the-table sort of drink.

NewtownRoad

Mar 3, 2006
Hove
Trufflehound said:
I like a lot of it, particulalry Dusseldorfer Altbier, and Kolsch.

I will be in Cologne next week and am looking forward to drinking both of these, providing I can find a bar/ pub/ brauhauser etc.

HAMPSHIRE DAVE

Dec 7, 2004
NR SOUTHAMPTON
I won't be doing the Scottish thing of wearing a shirt of any country who are playing England(Get a life!!) but really don't
GIVE A TOSS WHAT ENGLAND DO!
Hate all these post Euro 96 middle class fake football fans
who appear from nowhere when the world cups on!
"Tell me sir exactly how long have you been a football fan and how many games of your local team pro or non-league have you paid to watch in the last year"???
Answer :Don't go and watch that rubbish down the road unless there playing Chelsea,Man Utd.
"WELL GET OUT OF MY LOCAL PUB THEN AND LEAVE IT TO THE REAL FANS NOT FAKE ONE'S LIKE YOU IN YOU THREE WEEK OLD CHELSEA SHIRT"!!
HAMPSHIRE DAVE:albion:

Last edited:

Brovian said:
Most of the time I can live with it as it is just a harmless bit of posturing, If someone thinks they're Irish just because their Grandad was born in Dublin (as mine was) then fine, but not when the wheels are coming off another English World Cup bid.

And they call the Irish chippy! You sensitive little soul :lolol:

hill 16 southwick

Jun 27, 2004
southwick
Uncle Buck said:
Other than England I want the home nations and the lot across the Irish sea (aka England B) to fail miserably.

World Cups without Scotland are always a let down, who else can Iran, Peru etc look good?

A bit of a lazy quote. Back in the 80's you may have had reason to say England B.

Looking through the Irish team now there are very few players born here. Easy to pick 11 homegrown players....

Given (born in Donegal), Dunne (Dublin), Finnan (Limerick), O'shea (Waterford), S. Kelly (Dublin), Duff (Ballyboden), Miller (Cork), Kavanagh (Dublin), Keane (Dublin), A. Reid(Dublin) and K. Doyle (Waterford)

And I'll be supporting England in the absence of the boys in green

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I shall be a foot-soldier in the Trinidad and Tobago Tartan Army (TTTA) for the first round. Then get behind England as the serious stuff gets under way.

The pattern for me on this issue was set at an early age when my dad used to take me to games at Wembley (my local football ground, could see the twin towers from my bedroom). He would always support Ireland or Norn Iron in the Home Ints, or one of the other Celtic countries, and I would support England, it was establishing a banter rivalry between me and him.

That has remained the case to this day, generally whenever I'm in the company of family or other Irish mates, I will support England to get a bit of banter going. Whenever I'm in the company of mainly English mates, I take up Ireland's cause as a good way of doing the same thing.

It reflects the fact that I'm both British and Irish, not just in terms of identity but also legally - I have passports from both states.

It's the way of the future I think, with globalisation and huge movement of people across largely artificial man-made borders, multiple national identities will become a lot more common in the next 100 years :) :drink:

Last edited:

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
HAMPSHIRE DAVE said:
I won't be doing the Scottish thing of wearing a shirt of any country who are playing England(Get a life!!) but really don't
GIVE A TOSS WHAT ENGLAND DO!
Hate all these post Euro 96 middle class fake football fans
who appear from nowhere when the world cups on!
"Tell me sir exactly how long have you been a football fan and how many games of your local team pro or non-league have you paid to watch in the last year"???
Answer :Don't go and watch that rubbish down the road unless there playing Chelsea,Man Utd.
"WELL GET OUT OF MY LOCAL PUB THEN AND LEAVE IT TO THE REAL FANS NOT FAKE ONE'S LIKE YOU IN YOU THREE WEEK OLD CHELSEA SHIRT"!!
HAMPSHIRE DAVE:albion:

Trouble is mate where do you draw the line? You are always going to get people who jump on the band wagon. Brighton's attendance figure at the play offs would not have been so good had only the die hard supporters gone to Cardiff. I only went to around six home and six away games last year but over the years have been a season ticket holder for 5 years, been to over 30 different grounds and spent loads following The Albion but to some i am a fairweather fan, and as for England i have only ever been to one game.......a B international at the Goldstone!! now does that make me eligible to followmy Country with pride and passion? I think so................I am English and proud of it and will cheer my country on with Gusto

C'MON ENGLAND

HAMPSHIRE DAVE

Dec 7, 2004
NR SOUTHAMPTON
It may have only been six home and about six away but at least you went to football unlike the too many of pricks who only turn-up on a Sunday afternoon or Monday night to watch sky in their local and think that makes them a real fan!!!
ARMCHAIR FANS:I HATE EM!
If watching the Albion is too expensive people should support their local non-league side.
HAMPSHIRE DAVE

Last edited:

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
HAMPSHIRE DAVE said:
It may have only been six home and about six away but at least you went to football unlike the too many of pricks who only turn-up on a Sunday afternoon or Monday night to watch sky in their local and think that makes them a real fan!!!
ARMCHAIR FANS:I HATE EM!
If watching the Albion is too expensive people should support their local non-league side.
HAMPSHIRE DAVE

:lolol: :lolol: Point taken Dave:thumbsup:

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
London Irish said:
And they call the Irish chippy! You sensitive little soul :lolol:
It irritates me! I get members of my own family ringing up and gloating whenever England get knocked out! Some relatives I simply can't stand to be in the same room as if there's football on. I've had 40 years of it and it's beginning to grate. Genuine bona-fide micks, taffs and jocks I'll put up with as they don't have a choice.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here