Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will you be supporting England in the world cup?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I was born in England to an English father and a Welsh mother (and lived in a house with Welsh grandparents).

I've always been split between England and Wales and solved it by supporting England at football and Wales at rugby. That's always been the case and always will be the case.

I like to see the Welsh football team do well (not that they ever do) and I was cheering hard for the English rugby team in the WC, so I have no problem with split loyalties.

Skintagain 1983

And Smith Did Score!
I too was born in Englandshire to English parents. But over half my life (22 of my 42 years) and all my adult life (well from 20) has been spent in Scotland. This alone does not tip the balance against me supporting England.

I have never recovered from the 70's when Peter Ward was left on the bench against Luxembourg and England didn't qualify. :eek: :eek: :nono:

I was close to returning to the England fold with Bobby Zamora being included in the U21's... But as soon as McGoo arranged for Adam McVirgo to get into the Scotland future team, that was my loyalty to Scotland, my adopted nation, sealed again. :clap2:

So I'll be supporting Scotland at the World Cup, along with the Tartan Army... Jason Scotland and Trinidad & Tobago.
:clap2: :clap2:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Who cares, theyare Welsh and have no idea what it's like to play in a World Cup unless they are very old. I don't support Scotland or Ireland if England aren't there. I actually dislike Wales the most of all of them though and LOVE it when we beat them at rugby, we always beat them at football anyway :lol:

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
England 100 per cent

have some welsh, irish and sweaty, yes sweaty ancestry, but it means nothing

its only ever been England

Come on you England

Jambo Seagull

Jul 18, 2003
The Athens of the North
ATFC Seagull said:
Can't agree with that part. It all depends on the way in which you're brought up. For example, my father is Irish, my mother is mostly English, and I was born and brought up in Brighton.

I've been raised as an Irish citizen and sports fan by my dad, never got a say in that. I don't hate England or the English, its a great country which I've been lucky to live in. Do I always want England to lose at football? Yes, cos I'm not an Englishman or an England supporter, and its fun to take part in the traditional rivalries, for the same reason I like to see Palace or Rangers lose.

I don't think it goes beyond that for a lot of people these days - its fun.

Not dissimilar to me except that I was born in Scotland and spent my formative years in Brighton. I am 100% Scottish despite having a Brighton accent. I had no choice in the matter and have absolutely no desire to be English. I live in a town up here which has about 30% English. The banter during Euro 2004 was fantastic. I see no reason why I should support England at football. It's like asking me to support Palace in the FA cup final or Hibs in Europe. It's purely a footballing rivalry (I actually support England at cricket) but God do I hope England get stuffed.

Jambo Seagull

Jul 18, 2003
The Athens of the North
Dougal said:

Majority of Rangers fans are actually supporting England BTW according to Talk Sport

Which is one of the reasons why every non-Rangers fan in Scotland hates Rangers. Many of them don't even regard themselves as Scottish but British. Likewise a majority of Celtic fans regard themselves as Irish.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here