Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will we get to host the 2018 World Cup?

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
The main television audience and money will be coming in from Europe so giving it to Australia where it would be shown at unsociable hours must be a huge negative. Then again this is FIFA so....

That is the correct answer, the live TV rights would be worth zilch to European markets with the kick off times at Australian hours so no way would Blatter give the WC to the Aussies.

bathseagull

Apr 18, 2004
St. Anmore
This is the Governments' feasability study into hosting the World Cup - quite an interesting read...

Attachments

• world_cup_feasibility[1].pdf
    483.3 KB · Views: 24

Zesh Rehman

Sep 6, 2006
Oxford
Well its got to be in Europe surely, they cant have 3 world cups in a row outside Europe? Then there not to keen on joint bids which rules out Spain & Portugal/ Holland & Belgium (which is a stupid bid anyway). So id say its us versus Russia, thats if Russia applied in the end, i havent read the link yet.

Zesh Rehman

Sep 6, 2006
Oxford
:thumbsup:

I like the idea of Falmer being extended to 30,000 seats in order to host world cup matches!

A more realistic possibility is under-21 England internationals being held at Falmer - the under 21's play at a different venue for almost every match and tend to play in 20-30,000 seater stadiums - Falmer would be perfect :)

Needs to be 40,000 to host world cup

Zesh Rehman

Sep 6, 2006
Oxford
Reckon it will be England in 2018 and Australia in 2022.

Agreed, cant see Indonesia or Quatar getting it. Japan and Korea both only had it recently as did USA so its a stupid idea even bidding. Mexico already had it twice so cant see them getting it again. I reckon its us v Russia this time round, and 2022 between Australia, USA and some Arab country...

Stumpy Tim

At that time of year Australia is one hour ahead of Japan so I don't see that as an issue. It would also be winter in Australia so kick-offs at 12 or 3 wouldn't be too hot to play & would mean 9pm or midnight kick-offs in the UK - hardly an issue. You also know that it would be friggin awesome over there. Look at the shows they've put on for the Rugby World Cup & the Olympics. Obviously I'm biased!

One problem for Australia though is that they have just joined the Asian football federation. This makes it easier for them to qualify for World Cups, but could work against them in getting the tournament as Japan/Korea have recently had it.

I would say it's between England, US & Australia for the two tournaments. Please not the US though

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
Can't see England getting it in 2018 having hosted the Olympics only 6 years before .
I think Russia will get the nod , providing they can assure FIFA that they'll have the finance
in place . Australia , no chance for 2018 as it would be the 3rd Cup in a row held in the southern hemisphere . They'll be awarded the 2022 Cup though .

Oct 25, 2003
Why would they do far better than us? Euro '96 was faultless and we've got fantastic stadiums... Falmer would have to be put up to 50000 to be a contender though!!!

euro 96 was far from faultless........most of the games had empty seats galore from what i remember

and do we have that many great stadiums? you're supposed to spread it around so you could only really use 1, maybe 2 in london, 1 in manchester, 1 of newcastle/sunderland etc.....you need, i think, 12 stadiums of over 40,000 so for it to happen we'd probably have to upgrade a fair bit...plus our transport network isn't great...i think our main weapon is that we invented the modern game

the aussies proved with the olympics that they can host big time events and they already have plenty of quality stadiums already, plus they have the whole 'emerging market' thing going

however, thinking about it, i believe that russia are our main rivals

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
At that time of year Australia is one hour ahead of Japan so I don't see that as an issue. It would also be winter in Australia so kick-offs at 12 or 3 wouldn't be too hot to play & would mean 9pm or midnight kick-offs in the UK - hardly an issue. You also know that it would be friggin awesome over there. Look at the shows they've put on for the Rugby World Cup & the Olympics. Obviously I'm biased!

One problem for Australia though is that they have just joined the Asian football federation. This makes it easier for them to qualify for World Cups, but could work against them in getting the tournament as Japan/Korea have recently had it.

I would say it's between England, US & Australia for the two tournaments. Please not the US though

Tim , you've added 9 hours , not minused them .
12 & 3 pm. k.o. in Oz would be 3 & 6 am. in UK .
All this travelling of yours is giving you Timezone Madness !!

Billy Mays

Aug 14, 2008
Fruit Cove
Hopefully it will be given to the US of A and England will play their group games at Jacksonville Municipal Stadium. If this comes to pass I'll even consider giving certain select NSC'ers a floor to kip on!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
:thumbsup:

more realistic possibility is under-21 England internationals being held at Falmer - the under 21's play at a different venue for almost every match and tend to play in 20-30,000 seater stadiums - Falmer would be perfect :)

Wasn't that idea put forward in the very outset of trying for FALMER.

If England did get the World Cup one thing is certain all games would be a sell out because we have sufficient foreigners from the participating countries here who would want to see 'their' country play.

Last edited:

My question is,does the U.K have the infrastructure to handle that many tourist? It's crowded enough.

You would think with 2012 and the developments around that project, the infrastructure to hold a world cup wouldn't be out of the question.

Could even use the olympic stadium if needs be, as the amount of seating in it is very flexible.

I beleive at least 8 stadiums are needed of 40,000 so discounting Wembley for the Final

Old Trafford
Stamford Bridge
Anfield
Emirates
St James'
Olympic Stadium
Elland Road
Villa Park
Goodison Park
City of Manchester Stadium
Hillsborough (39,000, so could be ok for it)
Stadium of Light

Easily enough grounds for a World Cup. Think Australia for 2022 would be good

You would think with 2012 and the developments around that project, the infrastructure to hold a world cup wouldn't be out of the question.

Could even use the olympic stadium if needs be, as the amount of seating in it is very flexible.

I beleive at least 8 stadiums are needed of 40,000 so discounting Wembley for the Final

Old Trafford
Stamford Bridge
Anfield
Emirates
St James'
Olympic Stadium
Elland Road
Villa Park
Goodison Park
City of Manchester Stadium
Hillsborough (39,000, so could be ok for it)
Stadium of Light

Easily enough grounds for a World Cup. Think Australia for 2022 would be good

You can only use one per city though. That is why (for example) the City Ground in Nottingham had Euro 96 games.

Wembley
Old Trafford
Anfield
Villa Park
St James' Park
Stadium of Light (if this is allowed)
Elland Road
The Riverside
Hillsborough
Pride Park

Something like that I'd imagine

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
You can only use one per city though. That is why (for example) the City Ground in Nottingham had Euro 96 games.

Wembley
Old Trafford
Anfield
Villa Park
St James' Park
Stadium of Light (if this is allowed)
Elland Road
The Riverside
Hillsborough
Pride Park

Something like that I'd imagine

Possibly also give a game or two to somewhere like the Millennium Stadium?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here