Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Will this put you off buying a new car?

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Interesting, what is Germany's take on this? And in France does it adjust for summer/winter speed limits and when it rains? And why is the UK speed limit lower than the EU if we're adopting their laws and didn't some of you vote to stop this woke nonsense?

My Land Rover has a laser speed limit function where it reads road signs and adjusts accordingly, one day on the motorway cruising at 70 it misread a sign as 20 and slammed on the brakes. CODE BROWN!

stewardxxx

Oct 7, 2008
Brighton
I had this in a rental - worked out that if you push the accelerator down until you initiate the turbo that it switches it off so wasn't a problem for me. It is a useful feature for city driving though to avoid speeding fines

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Interesting, what is Germany's take on this? And in France does it adjust for summer/winter speed limits and when it rains? And why is the UK speed limit lower than the EU if we're adopting their laws and didn't some of you vote to stop this woke nonsense?

My Land Rover has a laser speed limit function where it reads road signs and adjusts accordingly, one day on the motorway cruising at 70 it misread a sign as 20 and slammed on the brakes. CODE BROWN!
I guess on German roads with no speed limit it won’t be a problem?

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
I had this in a rental - worked out that if you push the accelerator down until you initiate the turbo that it switches it off so wasn't a problem for me. It is a useful feature for city driving though to avoid speeding fines
But it resets every time you start the car, how fecking annoying would that be? Well it would be to me anyway. I am happy for Waze to give me one low beep to alert me if I am speeding, I don’t want a car giving long loud alarms…as I gather is the way it works?

How irritating was the alarm in your rental car? Also presumably the car logs misdemeanours?

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Classic England.

1717516107981.png

stewardxxx

Oct 7, 2008
Brighton
But it resets every time you start the car, how fecking annoying would that be? Well it would be to me anyway. I am happy for Waze to give me one low beep to alert me if I am speeding, I don’t want a car giving long loud alarms…as I gather is the way it works?
I agree, it is annoying. In my car, the stop/start feature was always on each time I started it - I hate this feature and wished the car would remember my preference.

Eventually, I bunged a mechanic mate a crate of beer to plug his computer in and change the default to off. So, I imagine this will be possible with the speed limiter too..

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Personally i’d make it mandatory for all drivers if their vehicle has a port to have a black box fitted with reduced insurance next year if you haven’t driven like a **** or increased if you have!

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Personally i’d make it mandatory for all drivers if their vehicle has a port to have a black box fitted with reduced insurance next year if you haven’t driven like a **** or increased if you have!
So if you exceed the speed limit you are driving like a ****?

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
No, not really. Unless you drive in the middle of the night its hard to get above 40mph anywhere with our UK roads resembling a car park throughout daylight hours.

It's almost an achievement to get done for speeding these days due to the sheer volume of traffic.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I always thought it daft that manufacturers kept making cars that would go at ridiculous (relative to the speed limit) speeds. I remember back in the day occasionally reading a motoring magazine, and how damning the reviews could be if the top speed was 'only' xxx mph. I guess the fact is (soon to be 'was' I suppose) that they didn't build cars with a top speed of 70mph was because nobody would buy one (except 2CV owners!)

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
I always thought it daft that manufacturers kept making cars that would go at ridiculous (relative to the speed limit) speeds. I remember back in the day occasionally reading a motoring magazine, and how damning the reviews could be if the top speed was 'only' xxx mph. I guess the fact is (soon to be 'was' I suppose) that they didn't build cars with a top speed of 70mph was because nobody would buy one (except 2CV owners!)
:lolol: I have a 1977 2CV and a Sports car. Both are a completely different driving experience, you never have to slow down in the 2CV on a clear road!

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
:lolol: I have a 1977 2CV and a Sports car. Both are a completely different driving experience, you never have to slow down in the 2CV on a clear road!
I had a 2CV years ago - loved it. Money was short, 2CVs were cheap, and before that I'd only had old second hand cars that maybe could go faster - but not for too long at a time; they had to be 'nursed' on longer journeys - and stop every couple of hours so as not to overheat. The 2CV could be just pointed at the motorway, 70mph (almost!) and just go all day. It was bliss!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here