Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will there be a bird of prey to chase shitting birds off the rafters of the Amex?

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
At the SCFA ground at Culver Road, there's a replica owl (plastic? wood? stuffed? dunno) on the end of the pole that supports the netting which stops the high balls from wrecking the neighbours greenhouses. Being stupid stupid buggers, I bet the birds fall for it.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I saw a guy at the Oracle in Reading last week with some sort of bird of prey. I don't suppose he's there constantly, just every so often to remind the local pigeons not to get too confident.

At the SCFA ground at Culver Road, there's a replica owl (plastic? wood? stuffed? dunno) on the end of the pole that supports the netting which stops the high balls from wrecking the neighbours greenhouses. Being stupid stupid buggers, I bet the birds fall for it.

As a yacht owner (a couple of times) and having managed my own business in marine affairs, those owls have been used by MANY hopeful sailing folk.
I watched the seagulls sitting on the owls and crap running down them on the way to the decks below.
There's also a device that makes an occasional noise emulating a hawk feeding its' young - raucous croak and then the hungry squeekers. Not known to impress the seagulls either, once they get used to the lack of a hawkish physical presence (another own goal from the hawk, one might say).

The lack of food at an inland building will be more likely to bother the gulls - but I'd worry more about pigeons and other nesting birds that might seek a shelter. That'll be up to the groundstaff to keep after, I reckon.

Btw, I understand a fake SNAKE can work well, as long as it moves every so often.

This chap can offer a better explanation though;
[yt]0BKRZTalEys[/yt]

Last edited:

Gangsta

Jul 6, 2003
Withdean
When I lived in flats a neighbour put up one of those replica owls, but the pigeons just used it as a roost.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here