Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Will the Unions bring everyone to their knees?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2719
  • Start date

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
On the swing-ometer, we have swung so far left with the unions, it's gone off scale!

I agree with the fact that you remember the 70s well Hazza. The rest we can talk another day on.:lolol:

Haha, Katie Price smashes and union searches.:lolol:

https://trends.google.com/trends/trendingsearches/daily?geo=GB

Because a certain breed of people love to moan until the cows come home?
Roll your sleeves up and get on with the job or do one, my same therory goes out to those who still whinge about Brexit.

You’re trying too hard MB

3/10 for effort especially for the swing o meter.

Have you stopped whinging about your daughter’s shirt yet?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Roll your sleeves up and get on with the job or do one, my same therory goes out to those who still whinge about Brexit.

are you entirely unaware of the history of your nation?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
On the swing-ometer, we have swung so far left with the unions, it's gone off scale!

I agree with the fact that you remember the 70s well Hazza. The rest we can talk another day on.:lolol:

Haha, Katie Price smashes and union searches.:lolol:

https://trends.google.com/trends/trendingsearches/daily?geo=GB

The Trade Unions came in to existence because of things like the gross injustices of wealthy landowners cutting the wages of agricultural workers in places like rural Dorset when they were on worse than subsistence pay already: try looking up and reading about the Tolpuddle Martyrs, who were wrongly convicted of illegal assembly, deported to Australia, and then brought back after the huge public outcry about the injustice of it all.

There was a big Church involvement in all this as well. The Church of England was on the side of the Landowners, while five of the “martyrs” were Methodists, three of them being Methodist Local Preachers. I have been at the Tolpuddle Festival in July representing the Methodist Church many times over the years and twice have heard members of the Anglican Clergy apologising for their Churches part in it. The second time it was the Bishop of Salisbury doing the apologising. I have also heard Tony Benn twice from the stage at the same event say that the Trade Unions wouldn’t exist had it not been for the Methodist Church, who taught the Martyrs to read and write.

The Trade Unions came out of religious and faith convictions about justice and fairness, the same as much of what is going on at the moment if people were only to look at or listen to the detail of what is going on. Without them, even today, the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
something i've learnt following this dispute is all Sunday service is done on overtime. one of the modernisations is to bring Sunday into the weekly rostered hours.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Ooh it’s a corner;10301521 said:
Great start to my morning H!

Is it any wonder that most of the great BB’s most powerful songs are from the era when dark times once more covered the UK? The Unions HAVE to fight because those in power have contempt for ordinary people.

They're not the only ones with contempt for ordinary people. You only have to read some of the posts on this thread.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020

I agree. Roll your sleeves up. Get on with the job. Or do one.

But wait. Hang on a minute. Wouldn't there be a problem if everyone followed your advice?

What if all the rail workers 'did one'? Who would run the railways?

Would you then advocate a P&O exercise, replacing all the strikers with lower paid agency workers? What if all the agency workers 'did one'?

I have it on good authority that Brexit will result in a high wage economy anyway. I know this to be true, because I heard it from Boris.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
something i've learnt following this dispute is all Sunday service is done on overtime. one of the modernisations is to bring Sunday into the weekly rostered hours.

I always thought that Sundays were one of three different statuses on the railways but they are all rostered

Inside Normal Working
Outside Normal Working (Voluntary)
Outside Normal Working (Committed)

and were different by company and role within company (and history of how you were employed !). I'd be interested where you got your info from if I've been wrong all this time,

Last edited:

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015

Forcing people to work weekends is not 'modernisation' - it is a regressive step that attempts to push working back decades (France, for example, banned Sunday working in 1812 and made Sunday a mandatory rest day in 1906 - indeed there were laws on the Frence statute books preventing Sunday working going back to 1388).

Any change results in Sunday working not being voluntary - and a pay cut for the workers.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I always thought that Sundays were one of three different statuses on the railways but they are all rostered

Inside Normal Working
Outside Normal Working (Voluntary)
Outside Normal Working (Committed)

and were different by company and role within company (and history of how you were employed !). I'd be interested where you got your info from if I've been wrong all this time,

thats more specific info than i have so you're probably right.

Forcing people to work weekends is not 'modernisation' - it is a regressive step that attempts to push working back decades (France, for example, banned Sunday working in 1812 and made Sunday a mandatory rest day in 1906 - indeed there were laws on the Frence statute books preventing Sunday working going back to 1388).

Any change results in Sunday working not being voluntary - and a pay cut for the workers.

thats nice except the public want to use the railway at the weekends. people often complain about poor service to Falmer on Sunday matchdays, now we know why.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I am in support of the industrial action.
However, working in the railway industry and demanding Sunday’s as overtime is ludicrous and should have been stopped years ago. Like other public facing operations.

Personally I’d make Sundays compulsory but at an enhanced rate. That’s fair.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Roll your sleeves up and get on with the job or do one

That's worked well for sectors where the workers have decided to 'do one' e.g. airline crew.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
That's worked well for sectors where the workers have decided to 'do one' e.g. airline crew.

I read somewhere over the weekend that all the airline staff are threatening action about is to get the 10% pay cut they took to get through the pandemic reinstated. They’re not even going for an increase.

I get the impression that there is an awful lot of misinformation going round about the rail strike as well, quite possibly stirred up by the government.

I actually appreciate the Boris noises about stoking inflation - there’s not much about him I appreciate - but they’ve been taking the pi55 for far too long. Maybe he should get Lord Brownlow to finance the stocking of a few foodbanks!

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
I agree. Roll your sleeves up. Get on with the job. Or do one.

But wait. Hang on a minute. Wouldn't there be a problem if everyone followed your advice?

What if all the rail workers 'did one'? Who would run the railways?

Would you then advocate a P&O exercise, replacing all the strikers with lower paid agency workers? What if all the agency workers 'did one'?

I have it on good authority that Brexit will result in a high wage economy anyway. I know this to be true, because I heard it from Boris.

Stop Press..

Hardline Boris Johnston supporter declares craven support (and a cunning 'therory') for a man who wanted someone else to buy him a £150,000 tree house but advises rail workers to live within their means.

Last edited:

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Yes, but he had his finger on the pulse of the nation and nailed their feelings. He doesn't just take in local bubbles such as Brighton and London.

Really?

Did the bloke next door tell you Farage had his finger on the pulse of 'the nation'? I don't remember that........

Now if you said that he 'misled' the nation with simplistic prophesies and false promises that would be a different matter......

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Stop Press..

Hardline Boris Johnston supporter declares craven support (and a cunning 'therory') for a man who wanted someone else to buy him a £150,000 tree house but advises rail workers to live within their means.

Glad to see you spotted my mischief making and edited your post! P.S. He awarded the contract for the treehouse to a Mr. M. Hancock.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here