Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Will the Unions bring everyone to their knees?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2719
  • Start date

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Is it though?
I suspect the majority of the lowest paid, don't actually commute by train to their employment.
Even then, trains are still running and people will have been given the opportunity to make alternative plans.

The idea that this strike action is hitting the lower paid workers more than the shareholders of the rail companies is fanciful.

Shareholders will just increase the cost eventually to cover any loses, which again will hit the public.

Shareholders rarely lose out in the long run, however people that need to get to work/hospital appointments etc will be missing out now.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Nothing to do with outdated labour intensive technology then.

The job market changes we need to adapt to those changes.

Well not really no. Most typesetters I knew, were generally decently educated people.
In most organisations, they would have been the first to be retrained on the new technology.

The union busting of the printers strike, had nothing to do with a change from labour intensive technology at all.
It was primarily about eradicating the terms and conditions of the unionised workers in the Newspaper industry.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Shareholders will just increase the cost eventually to cover any loses, which again will hit the public.
Shareholders rarely lose out in the long run, however people that need to get to work/hospital appointments etc will be missing out now.

Well in that case shouldn't more people be complaining about shareholders bringing the nation to it's knees, rather than the Unions?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Well in that case shouldn't more people be complaining about shareholders bringing the nation to it's knees, rather than the Unions?

Like they do every day, if only people were up for modernising it and trying to make it more efficient to help justify the costs.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Like they do every day, if only people were up for modernising it and trying to make it more efficient to help justify the costs.

Most people are fully up for modernising to improve efficiency and reduce cost/increase safety.

The problem is, that isn't what's happening.
The cash benefits of modernisation are not coming back to the consumer, or going to the workers.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Most people are fully up for modernising to improve efficiency and reduce cost/increase safety.

The problem is, that isn't what's happening.
The cash benefits of modernisation are not coming back to the consumer, or going to the workers.

they'll be going back to rail investment or the Treasury. Network Rail is not for profit public sector org.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yes, without doubt. But still enjoyable to see Mick Lynch’s greatest hits compilation grow. The Centre Left politicians need equivalent balls.

It’s definitely lively, my mischievous sense of humour likens it to the 50’s Sellars movie I’m Alright Jack. A parody or satire of British industrial relations and intransigence.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Can we have a Sticky Thread explaining to posters that there's no need to put a space before punctuation marks? I know it might seem like a minor issue but it drives me mental. Just why? Is it misguided Francophilia? Predictive text malfunctions? Degenerative brain disease?

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Can we have a Sticky Thread explaining to posters that there's no need to put a space before punctuation marks? I know it might seem like a minor issue but it drives me mental. Just why? Is it misguided Francophilia? Predictive text malfunctions? Degenerative brain disease?

Steady on , now.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Let's try you with some basic maths.

If prices are increasing by 10%, (and fuel and energy by significantly more), and the pay increase offered is 3% do you:-

a) get richer
b) get poorer
c) stay where you are

We can’t keep increasing prices by 10% or more to pay for wages matching inflation. It’s a vicious circle we saw in the 70’s.

These are harder times brought about largely by input prices.

My solution. Significant pay rises for the lesser paid, the hit through this storm taken by the rest of us. Those of us on decent income don’t have a god given right for our standard of living to stay the same or increase every single calendar year. It’s the obsession with growth and a nonchalance from increased living standards over 41 years for 10m’s of us.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Pardon !

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I am not playing any games. If you can’t connect the dots of industrial action taking place (because of profiteering at the expense of the working man) regardless of which political party is in power then you are being willfully obtuse. I am also not quite so willing as you to jump in and support a poster who continually posts racist and homophobic content, gets off on football hooligansim and walks away from anything more taxing than one line throwaway nonsense.

Why on earth did you invite a discussion from someone you believe to be a homophobic racist football hooligan?

Willfully obtuse that the government, and 12 years of Tory rule might have something to do with the industrial action. Now that is funny.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here