Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Will the Unions bring everyone to their knees?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2719
  • Start date

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
We no longer have conductors which is a major problem with disabled access, and security on the trains.
I explained this in my post 204 when the ticket machine at the station wasn't working, we wanted to pay on the train, but no conductor.

Not at all?

We do most of the times, though sometimes not (and in those cases I obviously wish I wouldn't have bought a ticket at all...). Not been allowed to pay on the train for 15 years though.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Not at all?

We do most of the times, though sometimes not (and in those cases I obviously wish I wouldn't have bought a ticket at all...). Not been allowed to pay on the train for 15 years though.

No, which has been my point all along. Some companies do have a second person on board but they aren't qualified to put detonaters the line in the event of an accident.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The Trainline phone app can do this for you with its "Splitsave" feature - I can get FAV-VIC return down to £40.40 for specific trains, or £42-43 for several others; is that about what you pay?

https://www.thetrainline.com/apps/get-a-link

Cheers. It depends what time of day I'm travelling. I Can't recall the exact prices. I just went on the trainline website and can't see how to buy concessions. I am 4/10 when it comes to navigating web pages and have never been able to get the prices I can get in the ticket office (albeit with only one of the staff there till I showed the others how to obtain the cheaper option).

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
No, which has been my point all along. Some companies do have a second person on board but they aren't qualified to put detonaters the line in the event of an accident.

Really ? Conductors are always on trains I’ve been on. Albeit sometimes ‘hiding’ but still get off to do a visual check at every station.

I did not think they were allowed to run trains driver only

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Ok. It will be worked around somehow.

In Denmark they've also removed all ticket offices and they also don't usually have conductors, not sure what the system is over there really - obviously they buy tickets online but not sure what they do to prevent people from dodging the fares. Could be random crews doing ticket controls. Either way, ticket offices will be a thing of the past in the UK as well - sorting that part of it online is working in lots of countries meaning it could also work in the UK.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Really ? Conductors are always on trains I’ve been on. Albeit sometimes ‘hiding’ but still get off to do a visual check at every station.

I haven't seen one for a long time, either on the Victoria line, west line to Pompey nor on the Newhaven to Brighton line. A second person isn't necessarily qualified which is what the big dispute five years ago was over.

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...eached-to-end-strikes-over-driver-only-trains

While GTR had previously offered to always roster a safety-trained second crew member, the company wanted to reserve the right to run trains with only a driver in times of disruption or exceptional circumstances – a caveat rejected by the RMT union, which represents conductors and launched a series of strikes from last April.

However, Aslef appears to have agreed a set of circumstances in which no second crew member would be required, as part of a package of measures to address concerns about DOO trains on the network.

GTR and the Rail Safety and Standards Board argued that DOO was common practice on much of the rail network, including on Southern’s sister service Thameslink.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Ok. It will be worked around somehow.

In Denmark they've also removed all ticket offices and they also don't usually have conductors, not sure what the system is over there really - obviously they buy tickets online but not sure what they do to prevent people from dodging the fares. Could be random crews doing ticket controls. Either way, ticket offices will be a thing of the past in the UK as well - sorting that part of it online is working in lots of countries meaning it could also work in the UK.

How do the Scandinavian railways cope with disabled passengers in wheelchairs?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
How do the Scandinavian railways cope with disabled passengers in wheelchairs?

If you're in a wheelchair and book your ticket you have to pick one of the wheelchair places on the train (available on like 90% of all trains). The lift machine getting you inside is quite simple (and I'm guessing you have similar ones?);
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rr1MRX6IuxA

And can/is allowed to be managed by anyone, but if you still need help, you need to order it 24h before and a person in a yellow vest will show up and help you get on the train.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If you're in a wheelchair and book your ticket you have to pick one of the wheelchair places on the train (available on like 90% of all trains). The lift machine getting you inside is quite simple (and I'm guessing you have similar ones?);
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rr1MRX6IuxA

And can/is allowed to be managed by anyone, but if you still need help, you need to order it 24h before and a person in a yellow vest will show up and help you get on the train.

We have ramps which are held by a person, up to the door, but this again is my point. Many stations are unmanned and I've already shown quite a few trains are driver only operation (DOO)

Yes, the disabled people book in advance, but time and time again, I have read of them being abandoned because the request has got lost, or the staff member supposed to be there is sick etc etc.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
We have ramps which are held by a person, up to the door, but this again is my point. Many stations are unmanned and I've already shown quite a few trains are driver only operation (DOO)

Yes, the disabled people book in advance, but time and time again, I have read of them being abandoned because the request has got lost, or the staff member supposed to be there is sick etc etc.

Which is bad but not really related to ticket offices. In the best case scenario, removing the cost of running these ticket offices would free up money and manpower to sort out other kinds of issues. But yeah rarely turns out that way I guess... when they removed the possibility to withdraw or deposit cash in all Swedish banks, they also promised that all other service would improve... which really wasnt the case. Just a way to "save money".

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

I think the agreement is that they do not schedule a train to run driver only, but it can and does happen when staff don't turn up, I think there are some unmanned stations where a driver is unable to move off safely without a second person on board to check that it is safe to do so.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I think the agreement is that they do not schedule a train to run driver only, but it can and does happen when staff don't turn up, I think there are some unmanned stations where a driver is unable to move off safely without a second person on board to check that it is safe to do so.

Lewes has a curved platform where the driver cannot see the rear carriage.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I have a very dim view of the Unions' leadership. I 100% believe in the function of the Union to protect staff's rights and defend their interests when necessary. But the number and severity of strikes for media attention always hurts the cause of their membership. Of course railway workers should be better paid, as should nurses, etc. Of course the rail companies are playing hardball and of course this government are on the side of the business. Strikes hurt the wrong people and they do so in such a way that breaks support for their cause.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Which is bad but not really related to ticket offices. In the best case scenario, removing the cost of running these ticket offices would free up money and manpower to sort out other kinds of issues. But yeah rarely turns out that way I guess... when they removed the possibility to withdraw or deposit cash in all Swedish banks, they also promised that all other service would improve... which really wasnt the case. Just a way to "save money".

In the good old days of British Rail, my uncle was a porter, ticket office man, signal changer, and disabled person helper. He actually lived on the station in a BR house. That line was closed by the aforementioned Dr Beeching in 1963.

Progress eh?

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I have a very dim view of the Unions' leadership. I 100% believe in the function of the Union to protect staff's rights and defend their interests when necessary. But the number and severity of strikes for media attention always hurts the cause of their membership. Of course railway workers should be better paid, as should nurses, etc. Of course the rail companies are playing hardball and of course this government are on the side of the business. Strikes hurt the wrong people and they do so in such a way that breaks support for their cause.

Nobody on here asked for sense. You are not welcome.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

I haven't heard Mick Lynch until yesterday but he is a very articulate man who has demolished the politicians and journalists interviewing him.
A worker has the right (at the moment) to withdraw their labour. It was legally put to a ballot and 89% voted in favour of striking. That's democracy.
A strike is meant to inconvenience people, so they can see the value of the work being done. From what I've seen many people are quite supportive of their actions.

Wait til we get the legal profession striking about the court closures, and legal aid practically removed.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I haven't heard Mick Lynch until yesterday but he is a very articulate man who has demolished the politicians and journalists interviewing him.
A worker has the right (at the moment) to withdraw their labour. It was legally put to a ballot and 89% voted in favour of striking. That's democracy.
A strike is meant to inconvenience people, so they can see the value of the work being done. From what I've seen many people are quite supportive of their actions.

Wait til we get the legal profession striking about the court closures, and legal aid practically removed.

I think this is the first of many walk outs and strikes as the financial pressures start to mount

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
https://twitter.com/aaronbastani/status/1539566923003854849?s=21&t=nAbNzDwf8_FiXqsafHGPUQ

If you do nothing else today, watch this.

I honestly thought it was a parody, but it’s an actual Piers Morgan interview.

And I thought that Megan Markle is the most evil being in the World, according to Piers.

What an absolute belll end.

Edit: Later, an RMT picket line was heard singing “ The Hood, the Hood, the Hood is on fire”

:lolol:

Two posts down from that link

Young Labour social was dozens of young trade unionists chanting “the Hood, the Hood, the Hood is on fire” after Mick Lynch spoke

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here