Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will The New Stadium????

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
'Vast majority' might be pushing it. Majority, maybe, but I'd suggest that there is a higher proportion of Brighton fans* than would be at other clubs who would not go to the stadium to have a drink if the Carling/Tetleys of this world were only allowed to serve their gaspiss. Me, for one.

And encouraging fans to come early and stay late is - or at least ought to be - one of the club's marketing strategies for the stadium.

* not backed up with hard and fast data - more anecdotal evidence.

You think? I would have thought clearing fans from the stadium quickly would be a priority - for stewards and police.

Anyway, you can't think of Falmer in terms of a few beardy types. It has to be set up for the general public/the mass market. I can't imagine punk hits over the Tannoy either...

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
You think? I would have thought clearing fans from the stadium quickly would be a priority - for stewards and police.

Anyway, you can't think of Falmer in terms of a few beardy types. It has to be set up for the general public/the mass market. I can't imagine punk hits over the Tannoy either...

The last thing that they want is for everyone to leave together, the trains just couldn't cope. If they don't serve decent beer at the stadium, I'll stop off at Lewes on the way.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Why are so many people obsessed with what alcohol will/won't be available?

Could you not just go to, y'know, watch the game without feeling the need to drink?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

The 'fans' bar' will be in the Teletubbies Stand, not part of the main stadium.

As far as I was aware, the club were looking at making the Falmer day experience one where they carefully picked your pocket from 12.30 onwards, in the form of beers, decent food, watch the match, beers and maybe a meal afterwards etc. It's something I would probably have no problem with, providing they serve something I want.

The police will not necessarily want the area cleared. In fact, a staggered exit would probably work much more smoothly.

Central Brighton has a decent number of good pubs and bars to drink at before and after the game, and the club would need to entice me rather than assume I am going to drink at Falmer. They cannot take my patronage for granted.

I would see it as a major opportunity lost if we found that the running of the stadium, and the whole matchday experience was the same as so many other grounds - antiseptic.

(I say 'I' and 'me' because I can only assuredly speak for myself, however, in this manner, I do know I'm not alone in this - not the majority, but definitely part of a sizeable minority).

As I understand it, there are two main camps at the club - one who wants the stadium for the fans, and one who want the stadium to take lots of corporate dosh. It's a fascinating tussle, but for those who had seen Attila's rant at Dick a few months ago - a rant that Dick fundamentally agreed with - when it appeared that there would be no 'fans' bar', they will be in no doubt where the old lush Dick's ideals lay.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD

Could you not just go to, y'know, watch the game without feeling the need to drink?

You are an unusual young man sir. :)

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
How would i know?I'm pissed.

DON'T BE DAFT.......ANAESTHETIC IS CRUCIAL:drink::drink::drink::drink:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
hopefully will be Grolsch and Heineken Export with a tap of John Smiths to cater for the minority of bitter drinkers.

Football - lager lager lager

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
As far as I was aware, the club were looking at making the Falmer day experience one where they carefully picked your pocket from 12.30 onwards, in the form of beers, decent food, watch the match, beers and maybe a meal afterwards etc.

I would have thought the club would be better off trying to get 10,000 fans to each drink two pints of premium lager per matchday - but then I'm not a retail expert.

SICKASAGULL

Aug 26, 2007
Whats the point of discussing drinking arrangements when the credit crunch has delayed the new stadium for a least 2/3 years, in fact it could well mean that Falmer is a no hoper, another season in Div 1 with declining attendances will result in Withdean being a permanent arrangement.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Whats the point of discussing drinking arrangements when the credit crunch has delayed the new stadium for a least 2/3 years, in fact it could well mean that Falmer is a no hoper, another season in Div 1 with declining attendances will result in Withdean being a permanent arrangement.

Moody git. Everything is still going to plan and work commences in 10 weeks.

Padders

Jul 5, 2003
Cheadle Hulme
If barrels are not cost effective, then we should insist on a good selection of bottles of decent beer.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006

It's a bit like you could just watch match of the day on a sunday night without having to guess the colour of the presenters shirt, It's not essential but it adds to the fun.

countrygull

Jul 22, 2003
Horsham
If barrels are not cost effective, then we should insist on a good selection of bottles of decent beer.

How about a beer pipeline from Harveys of Lewes to Falmer - preferably above ground, through LDC's car park and circling Falmer Pond on the way!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here