Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will The Amex Credibility As A Gig Venue Be Sunk By Sunday Morning?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I can't help feeling the concert promoters are also culpable. You'd think - with this being the first concert at the stadium - they'd have done their homework with regards to ensuring there was enough transport to cope with the volume of punters.

I do not agree. Reading between the lines the promoters feel let down by both Southern and the BTP's attitude. Personally I really do not think it is too unreasonable to expect scheduled trains to run. This is primarily what most are asking for.

As I mentioned, given the promoters are paying over 50k for transport (the main plank of this is between 50-60 buses continually shuttling between the city centre and the AMEX) hiring a few extra Southern goons to man the gates is a drop in the ocean. I understand the maximum load for the trains will be small but something is better than nothing.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
The trains being an issue has actually made me evening MUCH better.

Whereas before me and my 7 compatriots would have been worrying at the end of the gig about the following hassle at the station and getting home, we are are now safe in the knowledge that a taxi is booked for 11.30, meaning we can watch until the end, plod into the concourse for a drink, plod down to our pick up point and get back to the coast with ease.

Bliss.

:smile:

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
In answer to THPPs original question, no I don't think it will be detrimental to the Amex as a future concert venue. One of the considerations in the build of the stadium was for concerts, OK only 2 a year at the moment, but that is expected to change. Assuming the stadium puts on an excellent show regarding quality, sound, view, facilities etc, then the reputation will be built on that, not the travel. For example, the Ricoh Arena was built with the same considerations, now it is regarded as a 1st class live music venue by the acts themselves, and the Ricoh has rubbish transport links.

Spot on. Getting back from the Ricoh is a sheer nightmare but hasn't stopped them putting on some huge concerts there over the past few years.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Hmmm, I'm home and sober tonight. Wonder if I should chance my arm as a taxi driver?

I reckon there will be loads of taxi drivers hoovering up punters. Personally, it will not affect me as I will probably walk into town with my chums. But, this is not the point.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Spot on. Getting back from the Ricoh is a sheer nightmare but hasn't stopped them putting on some huge concerts there over the past few years.

Is it that bad? I went to the football there a few years back and parked in the car park next to the motorway junction which some kind chap advertised on here. A 20 min walk to the car and I was on the motorway within 1 minute. I was home in doors in Hove before 8pm.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I do not agree. Reading between the lines the promoters feel let down by both Southern and the BTP's attitude. Personally I really do not think it is too unreasonable to expect scheduled trains to run. This is primarily what most are asking for.

As I mentioned, given the promoters are paying over 50k for transport (the main plank of this is between 50-60 buses continually shuttling between the city centre and the AMEX) hiring a few extra Southern goons to man the gates is a drop in the ocean. I understand the maximum load for the trains will be small but something is better than nothing.

But bearing in mind you would have a large number of people DESPERATE to be one of the lucky ones jumping on a train, you're creating a problem there in itself. If you give out the message that there is "an extremely limited number of places available on trains back to Brighton", you'll have people clammering for those spaces (and the ones needing a connection from Brighton to London will be kicking heads to get to the front of the queue).

With the small numbers involved, something would NOT be better than nothing, It'd just create havoc.

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
Is it that bad? I went to the football there a few years back and parked in the car park next to the motorway junction which some kind chap advertised on here. A 20 min walk to the car and I was on the motorway within 1 minute. I was home in doors in Hove before 8pm.

In terms of public transport it is awful. Driving is not so bad but there tends to be massive queues after the big gigs there. Football is not so bad as they tend to get tiny crowds now anyway!

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
I'd be interested to know the reaction of the board when the found out that the station was going to be shut. I expect they were fuming, and rightly so. This won't exactly boost ticket sales for the next concert will it?

If rolling stock really is the issue could they not have leased some from another TOC, e.g. their sister company Southeastern?

Given that Southern and Brighton and Hove Buses are both owned or partly owned by Go-Ahead (and Southeastern too) to me the suspicion is that they have worked out that laying on a fleet of buses is cheaper and easier (for them) than providing a strengthened train service.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'd be interested to know the reaction of the board when the found out that the station was going to be shut. I expect they were fuming, and rightly so. This won't exactly boost ticket sales for the next concert will it?

I would presume that the Albion are NOT the promoters of the concerts, and that ticket sales are not their concern.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
I would presume that the Albion are NOT the promoters of the concerts, and that ticket sales are not their concern.

Well that may or may not be so, but it's hardly going to encourage promoters to put on events in the future is it?

Closing the station can only be to the detriment of the club.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts

Exactly, a 20 minute walk from the Amex and you're in access of buses, street parking etc, so it shouldn't be that much of a hassle, everyone has to do some research into their own personal transport arrangements, here, and anywhere. I've been to the O2 when the Jubille Line was closed, had to make alternative arrangements, the Ricoh is a shocker, I understand after concerts it's a free for all in every direction, but people just get on with it.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Exactly, a 20 minute walk from the Amex and you're in access of buses, street parking etc, so it shouldn't be that much of a hassle, everyone has to do some research into their own personal transport arrangements, here, and anywhere. I've been to the O2 when the Jubille Line was closed, had to make alternative arrangements, the Ricoh is a shocker, I understand after concerts it's a free for all in every direction, but people just get on with it.

How are you travelling to the Amex Phil?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I suspect that assumptions were made, at the early stages of planning this, that there wouldn't be an issue with the trains. And nobody took into account the fact that Derby Day and the special events connected with the Golden Jubilee celebrations would put extra pressure on the railway - with far more travellers attending those events than will fetch up at Falmer.

I seem to recall that previous big events in Stanmer Park have also seen Falmer Station closed (as, for example, Preston Park station closes on Pride Day).

A lot of the blame should be directed at the person who had the calendar at the planning meeting and/or the person who should have talked to Southern Rail when a day was decided.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
How are you travelling to the Amex Phil?

If I was going I would have probably booked a parking space, sadly I had to sell my tickets due to unforseen circumstances so won't be going. If you're curious as to what I'd do if I wasn't parking at the ground, I'd have to drive in from where I live, I'd park somewhere like Varndean/Preston Park area or maybe in the Florance Road area and either get the 46 then 25 bus to the Amex, or if London Road station is open get 46 to the station and then get the train.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
If rolling stock really is the issue could they not have leased some from another TOC, e.g. their sister company Southeastern?

rolling stock is a distraction, theres still the fundemental problem of capcity on the line - exactly the same problems as we face after games. there is not reduction of service along the line, just noone can get on at Falmer or Moulsecoomb.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here