Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will Pompey fold? (merged threads)

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Appleton's attitude just beggar's belief; and I find it astonishing that he's even got £1.5M to spend. I would wager that many of Pompey's creditors would accept a fraction of that sum. Utter, utter madness and the sooner Pompey ceases to exist in its current form (and in League 1) the better.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Anyone still want to do fans united for these jokers?

It's not the fans doing this, it is a very very out of touch manager, and a bunch of bufoons running [sic] the place. We had season after season with next to nothing to spend on players, but good management, and good directors ensured we picked up free agents, and free transfers, not to mention bringing through youngsters into the 1st team.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Welcome to the world of most teams in League 2, this quote is priceless:

"If the budget is what is being reported at the minute then it makes the job very, very difficult. Those players I've recruited, a lot of them I won't be able to sign because we won't be able to afford them.

"The problem you've then got is trying to find players to fit the new budget. All the best players will be gone and all you're left with are players who aren't good enough for that level."

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Are they talking about transfers or wages to bring players in on.

I feel he is talking about the wage structure, i don't think for one second he would have 4-5million to spend on a squad.

NickBHAFC18

Feb 24, 2012
Brighton
Welcome to the real world Pompey! Probably expecting to sign Defoe and Owen on £30K a week.

Still, they can afford a nice pre season in Spain.

Jack Daniels

Aug 25, 2011
Buggers Hole
It's not the fans doing this, it is a very very out of touch manager, and a bunch of bufoons running [sic] the place. We had season after season with next to nothing to spend on players, but good management, and good directors ensured we picked up free agents, and free transfers, not to mention bringing through youngsters into the 1st team.

When was the last protest by pompy fans about this?..............

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Whilst I agree £1.5m is stupid money for a club in their position I think he was getting at the fact he was told it was £4m and planned signings around that only to be told it is now £1.5m a day before the season starts. Which is pretty unprofessional! Thats how I read it anyway.

However a budget of £0 should have been given to begin with.

and this came as a surprise to him? Is he quite thick?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
To be fair to Appleton, he does have a point. A properly run business (ok, we know that's not Pompey) gives a manager a budget to spend on recruiting a new team, whether that is getting a sales team together, or staffing a nightclub, or bringinging footballers in, and that manager will work to that budget. To then have the goal posts moved so dramatically at such a late stage is indeed "unprofessional".

Surprising? No. Understandable in their current situation? Yes. But that doesn't stop it being an "unprofessional" way to run a business.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Anyone still want to do fans united for these jokers?
I always thought fans united was for fans.

Welcome to the real world Pompey! Probably expecting to sign Defoe and Owen on £30K a week.

They didn't pay for preseason in Spain, it was the Gibraltar FA and a Pompey fan between them.

I did think there was a transfer embargo on Pompey. Has that now been lifted?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts

That was paid for by a fan apparently.

I'm inclined to agree with you there, they need to do somthing right now, I think they have been doing some stuff, but it obviously isn't being effective. They need to tell this manager to wake up, and understand they are in League One, and in League One you don't have money to buy players. Needs to get off his arse and find some players on frees. Just like all a large number of the other teams will have to.

The Fifth Column

Lazy mug
Nov 30, 2010
Hangleton

The fact that Pompey fans have remained largely silent on their ongoing problems makes my sympathy levels for them register at zero. This club needs to fold and cease to exist, they represent everything that is wrong with football and are a blueprint on how not to run a football club. I hope they get caned every week in L1 and get relegated the earliest any team has ever been in the history of the football league. Pompey are a malignant tumour on the football leagues arse and should be cut out and thrown in the bin.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
To be fair to Appleton, he does have a point. A properly run business (ok, we know that's not Pompey) gives a manager a budget to spend on recruiting a new team, whether that is getting a sales team together, or staffing a nightclub, or bringinging footballers in, and that manager will work to that budget. To then have the goal posts moved so dramatically at such a late stage is indeed "unprofessional".

Surprising? No. Understandable in their current situation? Yes. But that doesn't stop it being an "unprofessional" way to run a business.

Maybe he's angling for the sack and some compensation? He might get lucky on one front there

Oct 25, 2003
you'd have to be pretty desperate as a player to sign for them, there's a pretty good chance that you won't get paid

i guess if they're still chucking ridiculous amounts at wages then they become a bit more attractive than a sensible club, but still

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here