Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will Middlesbrough park the bus?

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Mowbray has got a tactical headache I reckon. They haven't won in 5 and now have 3 consecutive games against challengers (Brighton, Cardiff, Hull) and still have SCC to face after that. There's a good argument to say this is a must win for him given their run in, and going away with yet another draw isn't going to help their cause at all.

I reckon they'll go for it and set up to attack us

Pbseagull

Sep 28, 2011
Eastbourne

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Scouting Report v Middlesbrough

Mowbray has got a tactical headache I reckon. They haven't won in 5 and now have 3 consecutive games against challengers (Brighton, Cardiff, Hull) and still have SCC to face after that. There's a good argument to say this is a must win for him given their run in, and going away with yet another draw isn't going to help their cause at all.

I reckon they'll go for it and set up to attack us

Yep, Middlesbrough need wins. If Middlesbrough were capable of it, I think they would like to spring a surprise, like attacking from the start (in the 20 minute period when each team is feeling each other out) and then parking the bus.

Players to watch:

Marvin Emnes

Rhys Williams

Lukas Jutkiewicz

Jason Steele

Julio Arca

Merouane Zemmama

That is six players to watch. With some teams, it is hard to find two and others like Leicester who have lots of players that have been dangerous in the past.

In my prediction I tipped Ipswich to beat Middlesbrough. And the Albion as well sending Middlesbrough down amongst the also-runs. But I tipped previous "outsiders" Leicester to beat Forest by a single goal and now they have blown their long shot.

Middlesbrough are a much better team than their recent results indicate. I was surprised when they were in contention early on as I did not expect them to among the leaders (I expected Leicester and Forest). I still don't think they are better and I would expect them to cause the same sort of problems as Leicester and Forest,, i.e. we need to be on form to win.

On paper and from past experience, they seem to have the players to cause a considerable amount of problems for our defence. Despite their relatively low scoring (less than the Albion), it is their attack from midfield that seems dangerous. This is much truer away from home with 26 goals.

Last team:

Middlesbrough
01 Steele
02 Hoyte
03 Bennett
04 Bates (McMahon - 17' )
15 Hines (Jutkiewicz - 46' )
10 Bailey Booked
11 Hammill
17 Robson
18 Arca
33 Smallwood
09 Emnes (Thomson - 85' )
Substitutes
29 McMahon
05 Zemmama
08 Thomson
16 Ogbeche
30 Jutkiewicz

Last edited:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
If we play like we did at Forest you can expect Middlesbrough to change their game plan and go for the jugular.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I don't mind them parking the bus, we've had some recent experience against teams doing just that, so more chance of breaking them down. Although it was us equalising near the end, I thought Cardiff were lucky to get a point against us. We just look better going forward than defending, so go ahead, park that bus.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Every game Vicente makes the difference, but his class and vision could be the absolute distinction between 0/1 or 3 points.

ETA: I'm going for 2-1 Brighton. 'Boro to go ahead in the first half, before a CMS equaliser in the second half in the last 10 and a Vicente free kick in stoppage time to send us into ecstasy. Here's hoping.

Last edited:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
The Albion winger will be interesting. Kazenga might run into a bit of trouble against Justin Hoyte. About the only defender in the Championship who might not be beaten for sheer speed. I think one of out troubles if we play Vicente we always pass to him as he wants the ball and is the best, but the other side can see it coming. Whether they can do anything about it is a different matter. I am not so sure who is best for a creative outlet as well? Noone could play on the right hand side, but I don't like that. Dicker could play but I think he is too right-footed and predictable. Sparrow is still suspended. Razak might not be experienced enough? Assulin is too much like Vicente. Buckley is not a complete midfielder. Harley is too lightweight. Vincelot is a defender.

I think Dicker might be for a chance of a place? So might Painter?

Middlesbrough may pack the midfield like Sunderland. Arsenal failed miserably against them in the FA Cup, but Everton got at them by attacking with gusto rather than any subtlety. If we played Buckley wide right we might be able to stretch them if Vicente makes himself enough space. But with a massed midfield space will be at a premium. With Middlesbrough strong on their right hand side defence I think we might have to have a player who can pass/dribble the ball out of our defensive midfield as Middlesbrough will press space. Razak ?

It is likely to be one of our most difficult games. Navarro to start for the Albion.

Last edited:

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I did'nt think I would ever get the same feeling of excitement and apprehension that I had back in the seventies when we were in with a chance of promotion to the old league 1 under Mullery.
The run in that season was (amongst a few others) the most exciting times for me as an Albion fan and now they have returned.
Win this game and we are in with a great shout of the playoffs, but whatever happens in the run-in, I am just so pleased for all the fans that were not around back then, that they can now experience the same exciting times,that we had back then at the Goldstone but with the added bonus of the Amex.
I did not think we would be in this position, in our first season, it really is very heady days. Im just going to enjoy it.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Boro will counter-attack which is not the same thing as parking the bus - it is much more dangerous and they have a very good record away from home playing that way, largely because it gives a side with limited imagination a bit more freedom than they enjoy at home as their opponents are forced to be more attacking. The fact that we don't really play that way is reason enough not to change our normal line up for this game so keep Navs and Bridcutt and go with one winger/one striker/one playing deep. Trying to play a freer-flowing game than we are used to against Boro will be playing into their hands. The only exception I would make would be if they really are struggling for first choice centre backs come Saturday in which case I might be tempted to put Vokes and CMS together with the latter specifically playing Barnes' deeper-lying role but perhaps able to use his extra pace to advantage.

Calderon v Hamill? Not too worried to be honest. Hamill is quite tricksy and often beats the same man twice or even three times but he doesn't tend to be overly direct or want to pass the ball quickly. I would back Dunk or elAbd to look after Jutkiewicz but think Emnes would pose us bigger problems as he is mobile and has pace and can shoot from anywhere. Maybe we will be lucky and he won't be fit :thumbsup:

Certainly a crucial game for both sides. Would I take a draw? Right now probably - reluctantly - ideally we need a win but what we definitely don't want to do is lose this one.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that they have to park the bus and as time goes on they may get a little more adventurous. A draw will suit us but not them and neither side can afford a defeat so I expect them to be tight and try to catch us on the break. The first half will be boring I would think.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Must play with at least 1 winger. The lua lua & Vicente show would be nice. Perhaps Buckley starting as well. If we start with a line up similar to the Cardiff game, it will be a struggle to break them down. Attack them with pace & skill from the off is what I say.
Spot on, Cardiff played super defensive but our starting line up helped them do that, with Assulin the main creative player who wanted to come inside and play in front of them (we also missed Calde as Assulin would bring his fullback inside creating a huge gaping space down the flank and Jara didn't run into it).

Of course now we have Vicente, assuming he's fit, and hopefully one of LuaLua or Buckley will start too.

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
Everytime i have seen extended highlights of Boro this season they have been poor. Having said that, they are where they are. I really don't think they will get anything at the Amex though. Need El-Abd back for this 1

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Yep, Middlesbrough need wins. If Middlesbrough were capable of it, I think they would like to spring a surprise, like attacking from the start (in the 20 minute period when each team is feeling each other out) and then parking the bus.

Players to watch:

Marvin Emnes

Rhys Williams

Lukas Jutkiewicz

Jason Steele

Julio Arca

Merouane Zemmama

That is six players to watch. With some teams, it is hard to find two and others like Leicester who have lots of players that have been dangerous in the past.

In my prediction I tipped Ipswich to beat Middlesbrough. And the Albion as well sending Middlesbrough down amongst the also-runs. But I tipped previous "outsiders" Leicester to beat Forest by a single goal and now they have blown their long shot.

Middlesbrough are a much better team than their recent results indicate. I was surprised when they were in contention early on as I did not expect them to among the leaders (I expected Leicester and Forest). I still don't think they are better and I would expect them to cause the same sort of problems as Leicester and Forest,, i.e. we need to be on form to win.

On paper and from past experience, they seem to have the players to cause a considerable amount of problems for our defence. Despite their relatively low scoring (less than the Albion), it is their attack from midfield that seems dangerous. This is much truer away from home with 26 goals.

Last team:

Middlesbrough
01 Steele
02 Hoyte
03 Bennett
04 Bates (McMahon - 17' )
15 Hines (Jutkiewicz - 46' )
10 Bailey Booked
11 Hammill
17 Robson
18 Arca
33 Smallwood
09 Emnes (Thomson - 85' )
Substitutes
29 McMahon
05 Zemmama
08 Thomson
16 Ogbeche
30 Jutkiewicz

Erm I think you have to watch every player.

Does anyone ever read these posts? Thought I'd give one a go and just lost a few seconds of my life :(

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
phpFxuRdm

Hopefully the bus will be as robust as this one!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
When teams come and attack us like Ipswich and Derby we look comfortable. When they sit back but then counter-attack we are uncomfortable. If I was Mowbray I'd set the side up to frustrate in the first half and then blitz us for 15 mins at the start of the 2nd.

At home our worst period is often that 46-60min window; we often spend the first half dominating possession but having little to show. It then appears Gus says something along the lines of "same again please" whereas the opposition manager makes fundamental changes so the away side comes out with a Plan B that puts us on the backfoot.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
When teams come and attack us like Ipswich and Derby we look comfortable. When they sit back but then counter-attack we are uncomfortable. If I was Mowbray I'd set the side up to frustrate in the first half and then blitz us for 15 mins at the start of the 2nd.

At home our worst period is often that 46-60min window; we often spend the first half dominating possession but having little to show. It then appears Gus says something along the lines of "same again please" whereas the opposition manager makes fundamental changes so the away side comes out with a Plan B that puts us on the backfoot.

Wise words. Cardiff is a case in point. We couldn't find a way through their very deep defending in the first half, then didn't know what had hit us in the 2nd. I hope Gus has learned from that - it was the first league match at Falmer where I felt he had been out-thought by the oppo manager.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here