Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will McGhee gamble on Gatting?

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Should McGhee fail to bring in any strikers during the transfer window, and lets face it we are struggling.. Do you think Joe Gatting is worth a punt?

Not sure what his talley is.. maybe about 15 in 9 or something? I understand that he is playing no where near Championship level, but all he can do to prove he is good enough is keep scoring untill he gets a chance. He looked strong and quick against Che£ski and allthough we don't want to over hype him, he may be worth a go.

It may ruffle the feathers of CKR and Robinson if another young player is looking to break into the first team squad and that can only be good right?

If McGhee fails to bring in any strikers, and Turienzo, McCammon, Robinson, Kasim-Richards arn't cutting the mustard then maybe play Gatting and Hart upfront?

Only an idea.

Rather play Gatting than pay wages of a new striker who isn't good enough.

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
Gatting looks to be well ahead of the average youth player physically. Good strength and pace. I think he can handle the step up if he has some experience up there with him. Harty sounds like he does a great job leading the line and revels in the mind games so they might be worth a punt as a partnership.

The fact that he's made his debut already shows Magoo as him in his plans.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Haven't seen him play so can't comment properly but do we really another Robinson on our hands. By that I mean he's overhyped to the point where people expected him to get a bag full of goals this season and then slag him off when he doesn't do it. Better to ease Gatting in gradually to learn his trade rather than throw him in at the deep end and watch him publicly sink.

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
y2dave said:
Gatting looks to be well ahead of the average youth player physically. Good strength and pace. I think he can handle the step up if he has some experience up there with him. Harty sounds like he does a great job leading the line and revels in the mind games so they might be worth a punt as a partnership.

The fact that he's made his debut already shows Magoo has him in his plans.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
sir danny cullip said:
No way, he "wont be ready" for at least another year and a half, just like robinson.

:nono:

Thats why Robinson has not been the star we all thought he would be, because he 'was never ready' or 'still too young'

Gatting should start against Sheff Utd and have a decent run in the team, not like Robinson who came on as a sub here and there which IMO has affected his confidence today.

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
The Wookiee said:
:nono:

Thats why Robinson has not been the star we all thought he would be, because he 'was never ready' or 'still too young'

Gatting should start against Sheff Utd and have a decent run in the team, not like Robinson who came on as a sub here and there which IMO has affected his confidence today.

That was my point, MM hasnt really shown much faith in jake and he seems to lack confidence now.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think Gatting would be ideal to 'blood' into the side with 10 min sub appearances but people on here will expect him to get a hat-trick.

I am rather suprised somebody hasn't suggested sacking MM and bringing in Dean Wilkins and the youth team for the rest of the season.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
BensGrandad said:
I think Gatting would be ideal to 'blood' into the side with 10 min sub appearances but people on here will expect him to get a hat-trick.

I am rather suprised somebody hasn't suggested sacking MM and bringing in Dean Wilkins and the youth team for the rest of the season.

Was that Sarcasm or not?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
DAMANCLAY said:
Was that Sarcasm or not?

Rather some of the sugestions that are put on here are so ridiculous that you couldnt possibly believe them so it does suprise me that the anti McGhee mob havent suggested a TRIED and TESTED ENGLISH manager (at Youth level) with his brother a TRIED and TESTED ENGLISH MANAGER and PLAYER as his assistant.

As regards the team John Sullivan,Tommy Elphick and Joe Gatting have been subs and Fraser was mentioned as a possible against Southampton. So what about the others!!!!

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
BensGrandad said:
Rather some of the sugestions that are put on here are so ridiculous that you couldnt possibly believe them so it does suprise me that the anti McGhee mob havent suggested a TRIED and TESTED ENGLISH manager (at Youth level) with his brother a TRIED and TESTED ENGLISH MANAGER and PLAYER as his assistant.

As regards the team John Sullivan,Tommy Elphick and Joe Gatting have been subs and Fraser was mentioned as a possible against Southampton. So what about the others!!!!

Thats what i thought you meant!

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
How did you know that?Who were they playing

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Watching the game last night, I would say Gatting is nowhere near ready.

He looked good and sharp and a handful. But it's one thing scoring 23 goals in the junior levels, but there is a MASSIVE difference between the youth team and the first team. Point in case, look at who we beat last night. However, if we are talking about this season, he COULD be the kind of player to bring in once we are safe from relegation for the last 15 minutes or so of a match, just for the experience.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here