Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will McGhee gamble on Gatting?

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Billy the Fish said:
Haven't seen him play so can't comment properly but do we really another Robinson on our hands. By that I mean he's overhyped to the point where people expected him to get a bag full of goals this season and then slag him off when he doesn't do it. Better to ease Gatting in gradually to learn his trade rather than throw him in at the deep end and watch him publicly sink.

Indeed.

The way Robinson was overhyped by certain persons, was a joke and meant that people expected him to be another Owen.

If Gatting makes it then great, the early signs are good, but then our youth system seems to churn out defensive style players, which is no bad thing when the Beggars then pay over the odds for them.

BensGrandad said:
Rather some of the sugestions that are put on here are so ridiculous that you couldnt possibly believe them so it does suprise me that the anti McGhee mob havent suggested a TRIED and TESTED ENGLISH manager (at Youth level)

Presumably that should have read

"with his brother a TRIED and TESTED AND FAILED ENGLISH MANAGER and PLAYER as his assistant.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
The Large One said:
Watching the game last night, I would say Gatting is nowhere near ready.

He looked good and sharp and a handful. But it's one thing scoring 23 goals in the junior levels, but there is a MASSIVE difference between the youth team and the first team. Point in case, look at who we beat last night. However, if we are talking about this season, he COULD be the kind of player to bring in once we are safe from relegation for the last 15 minutes or so of a match, just for the experience.

Sadly he is better than Mccammon

The Large One said:
Watching the game last night, I would say Gatting is nowhere near ready.

He looked good and sharp and a handful. But it's one thing scoring 23 goals in the junior levels, but there is a MASSIVE difference between the youth team and the first team. Point in case, look at who we beat last night. However, if we are talking about this season, he COULD be the kind of player to bring in once we are safe from relegation for the last 15 minutes or so of a match, just for the experience.

Yes, he had a very vibrant opening 15 minutes, then got relatively little change out of the Chelsea youth all night afterwards. On that evidence, not ready. But given our options, he has an outside chance of getting an opportunity.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I think we should save him until next seasons warm-up games. Perhaps the odd sub appearance this year but I don't think we should rush him.

Stumpy Tim

If we play him now & he doesn't score in the first couple of games he will be completely flamed on NSC & by the crowd & be branded SHIT.

I think we should give him a little more time before that happens

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
i think MM may be forced to use him from the bench if we dont get anyone in. It wont do him any harm to be involved with the travel and all other aspects of being with the first team. Hopefully he can be used towards the end of the season heaven forbid we know we are safe but somehow i cant see that :nono:

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
I wonder what Saints fans first thought of the decision to play Theo Walcott in the first team?

I bet there were some who said he is not ready or too young!

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Stumpy Tim said:
If we play him now & he doesn't score in the first couple of games he will be completely flamed on NSC & by the crowd & be branded SHIT.

I think we should give him a little more time before that happens

:jester: most definetly.We know how to shoot players down

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Take time with him Robinson started playing first team football far to early but sadly it was needed.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
brightonfan_86 said:
The way Joe Gatting played on Tuesday, I think he deserves to be on the bench for Sheff Utd. What about this for a great strike partnership? Jakey and Joe Upfront, well worth a try.

Not really that great no.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here