Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will 'marriage' one day be a thing of the past?

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
It will be interesting to see what the Tory tax breaks do for marriage.

...turn off people who might otherwise vote for them, but who have different domestic arrangements, and object to people being given tax incentives purely due to wedlock!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I know divorce stats are bad,but 'partnership' stats are infinitely worse.....result,more and more kids brought up without father figures and all the problems that brings!
Suggests to me that marriage isn't just a 'piece of paper' after all.Perhaps some of those partners who can't commit to marriage,can't really commit to each other and should think twice about having kids,which after all is a mighty big committment!

first off, i dont beleive there are any decent "partnership" stats as its very difficult to track. secondly it seems to me that the importance of a father figure is about being in the childs life, not married to the mother.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I have always thought that the most important thing about any relationship is how you both treat each other, that you remain faithful, supportive and monogomous...I wouldn't need a marriage certificate to prove that, it is just how I am.

I have an aunt who married her partner a couple of years ago, they had been together for over 25 years but wanted to avoid the complications that can be faced by unmarried couples when one of them dies, thus for them marriage was more to avoid future problems than anything else.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Its a Public declaration of commitment and exchange of promises in front of strangers, friends and relatives. Harder to break.

Marrage has better longterm prospects atm than secularism imo

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I agree with some of what ytou are saying but you seem to suggest that not committing to marriage is not commiting to one another. Surely you can commit to someone without a bit of paper. To me, buying a house together or having a child together is more of a commitment than a signed document?

Not sure about the house purchase.....mates or strangers buy houses together sometimes;but having a child is obviously a huge committment.Yes,of course,you can commit without a bit of paper,but the stats say that far more 'partner parents' break up than married parents which suggests several things ..one of which MAY be that those who are prepared to commit to the 'public statement' of marriage and all that goes with it may actually be more committed than those who merely live together.I reckon that 'marrieds' are more likely to work thro' any lows or problems in a relationship than 'partners' are, and the stats suggest I am correct!

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
first off, i dont beleive there are any decent "partnership" stats as its very difficult to track. secondly it seems to me that the importance of a father figure is about being in the childs life, not married to the mother.

There are plenty of statistics concerning the break up of married and non married parents.
Yes ,it is important that the father figures in the child's life and I think most people would agree that it is preferable if those parents live together as a family unit...not apart.All I am saying is more unmarried parents break up than do married parents!....That is all.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Slightly unfair IMHO to suggest that ALL women want the big day, dress etc.

I have friends who snuck off abroad to get married without the family knowing, or who had small registry office ceremonies. They're all still together years down the line.

Personally I don't think I could do the whole church thing simply because I don't attend church myself, and it looks terribly hypocritical to me when people who haven't been since they were kids wheel up at the altar, mumble along to hymns that only the elderly relatives know the words or tune to, just to have a set of nice photos at the end of the day.

Not against marriage at all, but the grand gesture thing just doesn't appeal to me.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Slightly unfair IMHO to suggest that ALL women want the big day, dress etc.

I have friends who snuck off abroad to get married without the family knowing, or who had small registry office ceremonies. They're all still together years down the line.

Personally I don't think I could do the whole church thing simply because I don't attend church myself, and it looks terribly hypocritical to me when people who haven't been since they were kids wheel up at the altar, mumble along to hymns that only the elderly relatives know the words or tune to, just to have a set of nice photos at the end of the day.

Not against marriage at all, but the grand gesture thing just doesn't appeal to me.

Same for me, do not like the big grand gesture thing and I too would find it hypocritical getting married in a church.

BTW Edna, I did not say ALL women. Read the first post again :p

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Also started in "partnership" but married when the kids were small.For our marriage we pitched up at the Registry Office and coopted a couple of passers by for our witnesses.It was a small "do" followed by a very good meal in an excellent French restaurant in a small provincial town.Families were a bit miffed ,though.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Same for me, do not like the big grand gesture thing and I too would find it hypocritical getting married in a church.

BTW Edna, I did not say ALL women. Read the first post again :p

Not you, someone else did :)

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Ah, so they did. Out of interest, do you feel any social pressure to be married or have kids as a female (knowing we are both of the same age)?

Hmmm, I don't think so particularly, or maybe I just don't notice it :lolol: My married-with-kids friends all seem to spend half their time complaining that they never get the chance to go out or have fun, so it seems the grass is always greener, whichever side you're on.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
Is it though Laura because you want a nice dress and wedding rather than actually being married? The reason I ask is because surely you can have love, romance, companionship, children etc without a certificate?

Just interested like :wave:

No, I honestly want a marriage. I want to call someone my husband, and to be called "wife". I want a certificate.

Of course I'd want the wedding too! :)

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
All I am saying is more unmarried parents break up than do married parents!....That is all.

and im say ing i dount there are decent stats to back that up. who tracks unmarried partners with children? how accurate are the married stats which are tracked, when you consider all the astranged marriages. fact is you can walk out the door just as easy with a marriage certificate as without.

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
Does this include arranged marriages?

I would be prepared to bet that they have been on the rise in the last 20 years and that numbers will continue. Any takers?

That 'expert' can stick that in his secularist pipe and smoke it.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
That 'expert' can stick that in his secularist pipe and smoke it.

Errr, he isn't anti-marriage at all, he is a married man that happens to be making a prediction, a hypothesis. Do not really understand your reaction.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Does this include arranged marriages?

I would be prepared to bet that they have been on the rise in the last 20 years and that numbers will continue. Any takers?

im sure there has been a infintesimally small national increase in arranged marriages that might affect 4% of the population. did you have a point?

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
Errr, he isn't anti-marriage at all, he is a married man that happens to be making a prediction, a hypothesis. Do not really understand your reaction.

Errr, you start a thread and invite views from NSC on an 'experts' view on marriage being on the decline with one of the main reasons for decline being the rise of seclarism. Yes?

Well then my view was that seclarism is not on the rise per se and in fact across the demographic faith groups are on the increase. Some of these practice arranged marriages, not forced marriages of course although apparently these happen as the Department for Children's website confirms.

Latest 2009 figures show that the majority of reportings to the FMU involve families of Pakistani (70 per cent), and Bangladeshi (11 per cent) origin, with smaller percentages of those of Indian, Middle Eastern, European and African origin. Victims in 14 per cent of cases are male, 33% of all assistance cases are under 18 and 14% are under 16 years of age.

So if these communities are increasing due to immigration so will arranged marriages (not forced marriages).

Hope this is clear enough for you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here