Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will Liverpool FC Ever Recover ?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Well I didn't like them in the 1980s, as a kid growing up round these parts and supporting the Albion it was horrendous to live with half the other kids all wearing Liverpool shirts and taking the piss (despite none of them ever having been within a hundred miles of Anfield).

Someone has said Liverpool were more respected then than (say) United are now, but I think that was just football generally, not because it was Liverpool. An English team got to the European Cup final: English people wanted them to win. I read the other day that Man United fans actually shouted "Liverpool" at some game or other in the 1980s in support of the Scousers' impending European Cup final (granted, the United-Liverpool rivalry wasn't so developed back then). Now if Chelsea or United or whoever gets to a European final, half the country hopes they lose.

I'm more than happy to see Liverpool continue to struggle, long may it continue. Only three places above us in the League :lolol:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Football tends to be cyclical. It may be 5 years, 10 years or 30 years, but they will come back. I can remember Man Utd being relagated to what was then Div 2, won the Div 2 title the following year and have been in Div 1/Prem ever since. Being relegated gives them a chance to clear out the over paid dead wood and come back fresh. Maybe ...

They Spunked 10 million on Borini, not a great transfer, Could have got better.

Longer they are crap the better.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Yep - they really need to be allowed to do the rebuilding thing under Rodgers. Trouble is the demand for instant success means he probably won't get it - or the owners won't give him the budget. I suspect a combination of the latter plus he'll get frustrated by the imposition of this footballing committee over his head.

I too recall the era when Man U got relegated and had to rebuild under a succession of managers. Sometimes its essential to do some serious blood letting to enable a restart. Even Fergie didn't get off to a good start.

I have never flinched from supporting The Albion and certainly never felt any great love for Liverpool but I do recall midweek TV coverage ('Sportsnight with Coleman' etc) of them in Europe in the 70's brighting up many dreary winter evenings because they invariably gave the foreign teams a real battering at Anfield. It was good viewing. You knew that Liverpool could overpower the opposition at any time helped by the thunderous racket made by that surging Kop. Tommy Smith, Emlyn Hughes and Yosser Souness didn't give an inch. Toshack, Keegan, Heighway, Callaghan, Fairclough, Johnson up front. They weren't everyone's favourite players or team but were certainly worth watching. I didn't quite feel the same about them in the Dalglish / Rush eras although it was good to see our 'Lawro' giving masterclasses in defence. Whereas Anfield looks so sanitised these days.

As a neutral I actually felt a bit more interested in Forest (and maybe Villa) during their successful European Cup runs because they were far less fancied and it was fascinating to see how journeymen players could succeed at the highest level when given a bit of motivation, especially by Cloughie. Plus at around that time the Albion had given a good account against various sides that had been successful in Europe.

What made it easier to give them support as English teams in Europe was they were almost always composed of 'British' players. Its just not been the same for the last 20-30 years with more and more foreign players featuring in 'our' teams. Hypocritical to call Chelsea an 'English' club these days.

Ahem, I might have to change my views a bit when the Albion make their European debut........6 Spaniards, a Pole, 2 Scots, an Egyptian, Irishman, Norwegian etc.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
I think the good times will return, but I am not holding my breath.
The likes of Villa and Forest may argue.
Not sure if the present owners have the balls for it, so it may need some real money coming into the club but I hope BR gets the chance. 7 points out of the next 9 are critical.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Referee Mark Halsey was the victim of Twitter abuse following the Premier League fixture between Liverpool and Manchester United on Sunday.

Halsey, who was diagnosed with throat cancer in 2009 but returned to refereeing in March 2010, sent off Liverpool midfielder Jonjo Shelvey for a challenge on United defender Jonny Evans.

He later awarded a late penalty to United which Robin van Persie converted to seal a 2-1 win.

A tweet posted from an account named [MENTION=7807]john[/MENTION]wareing1 read: "I hope Mark Halsey gets cancer again and dies" while another from [MENTION=21338]lfc[/MENTION]john259 read: "Mark Halsey should've died of cancer."

Both tweets were met with outrage from other users of the social media site.

The post from [MENTION=21338]lfc[/MENTION]john259 was deleted and the [MENTION=7807]john[/MENTION]wareing1 account was removed completely.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Referee Mark Halsey was the victim of Twitter abuse following the Premier League fixture between Liverpool and Manchester United on Sunday.

Halsey, who was diagnosed with throat cancer in 2009 but returned to refereeing in March 2010, sent off Liverpool midfielder Jonjo Shelvey for a challenge on United defender Jonny Evans.

He later awarded a late penalty to United which Robin van Persie converted to seal a 2-1 win.

A tweet posted from an account named [MENTION=7807]john[/MENTION]wareing1 read: "I hope Mark Halsey gets cancer again and dies" while another from [MENTION=21338]lfc[/MENTION]john259 read: "Mark Halsey should've died of cancer."

Both tweets were met with outrage from other users of the social media site.

The post from [MENTION=21338]lfc[/MENTION]john259 was deleted and the [MENTION=7807]john[/MENTION]wareing1 account was removed completely.

sick fuckers... i want liverpool to get relegated... would make my season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here