Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will Liverpool FC Ever Recover ?

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
good question,being in my 40s I can remember Liverpool absolutely dominating in the 70s and 80s.Can't believe they have never won the premiership.how long before they will want Rogers out?.it just seems to be going round in circles there.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
They seem to have a poorer squad than last season ??? They have still got a strong defence.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
good question,being in my 40s I can remember Liverpool absolutely dominating in the 70s and 80s.Can't believe they have never won the premiership.how long before they will want Rogers out?.it just seems to be going round in circles there.

That is the whole point, Rogers is like Poyet to me builds teams in their style which takes a season or two. Liverpool FC will not give him this amount of time.

Last edited:

NickBHAFC18

Feb 24, 2012
Brighton
Apart from Suarez, the rest of the team are average. There isnt many of the current Liverpool squad that would make it into the current City, United, Chelsea or Arsenal side. Financially they can't compete, they have missed out on the Champions League for a few years now which brings in huge revenue. The money they did have, they've spunked it on over spending on average players (Henderson, Carroll etc)

I think they'll be back, but it will take a while and definitely wont happen within the next 4/5 years. If they can stick with their manager and give him time to build a completely new team then they'll be back.

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
Having lived in Liverpool since 1988 (I haven't lost my Brighton accent you'll be pleased to know!) I have witnessed an amazing transformation of one of Britains truly great cities. New developments, business, tourism (new cruise liner dock) in many ways Liverpool is a city on the up, which probably flies in the face of most people's stereotyping of all things Scouse. In footballing terms, my hope is that the two Merseyside clubs work together to get a brand new stadium on Stanley park, which will be good for Liverpool, Everton and the city and could mean both clubs challenging for major honours.

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
Yes, and I seem to recall when they were at the peak of their greatness during the 70's and 80's, they were generally liked and admired by the average football fan, in a way that Man Utd never have been over the past 20 years or so.

Or is my memory playing tricks on me ?

Dont believe they garnered the anyone but united hatred ol red nose has brought on his teams
BUT if you speak to people of a certain age plenty of them seem to dislike the scousers just as much

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Having lived in Liverpool since 1988 (I haven't lost my Brighton accent you'll be pleased to know!) I have witnessed an amazing transformation of one of Britains truly great cities. New developments, business, tourism (new cruise liner dock) in many ways Liverpool is a city on the up, which probably flies in the face of most people's stereotyping of all things Scouse. In footballing terms, my hope is that the two Merseyside clubs work together to get a brand new stadium on Stanley park, which will be good for Liverpool, Everton and the city and could mean both clubs challenging for major honours.

It's weird that the fortunes of the two clubs have dived just as the city has risen from the ashes.

life on mars 73

Oct 19, 2010
Would seem to make sense to ground share, particularly as the two clubs are situated so close together, and there doesn't seem to be an intense hate thing going on between them, unlike, say, Utd and City.

If it's good enough for AC Milan and Inter Milan, then why not for the 2 Liverpool teams ?

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Dont believe they garnered the anyone but united hatred ol red nose has brought on his teams
BUT if you speak to people of a certain age plenty of them seem to dislike the scousers just as much

I think you are right,about half the people at school seemed to support them and the other half hated them.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
I enjoyed yesterday's game and also pleased to see Rodger's attitude to football in an England context. Like Gus he seems pretty determined to do things his way and I love the fact he's not afraid to play a 17 year old and an 18 year old.

If he's given time and does well, would be good for football in this country.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Apart from history, what do they currently have to suggest they are a big club? Their stadium is a crumbling wreck, they are destined for another season outside the top six and with the exception of Suarez I would argue they do not have a single player who would attract a significant transfer fee. I appreciate their history, their five European Cups and their domination of English football at one point, but times move on and they show no signs of advancing with them. If you look at their assets, infrastructure and support, I see no reason for ranking them any higher than clubs like Newcastle, Everton and Aston Villa.

I went to my sons football presentation just outside of Geelong, Australia yesterday and the club who had the most replica shirts on the backs of the kids was Liverpool, by quite a long way too. Even with so many years in the Wilderness there is still a huge worldwide support. This is what continues to make them one of the biggest clubs in the world. (this of course depends on your definition of a big club)

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Apart from Suarez, the rest of the team are average. There isnt many of the current Liverpool squad that would make it into the current City, United, Chelsea or Arsenal side. Financially they can't compete, they have missed out on the Champions League for a few years now which brings in huge revenue. The money they did have, they've spunked it on over spending on average players (Henderson, Carroll etc)

I think they'll be back, but it will take a while and definitely wont happen within the next 4/5 years. If they can stick with their manager and give him time to build a completely new team then they'll be back.

This is where the problem lies I think, too many people see them in the same bracket as City United et al. For me it need to be a step by step thing. You can't just win the league from where they are. It is going to take a progression into the top four which make take a few seasons and then moving up to challenge which will take a further few years. As you say they do not have the players that the top four have. They should be comparing themselves to the other teams in the top half of the premiership with a long term plan for success. It will take time, there are no instant fixes but I see the green shoots of recovery, they have a good manager and some excellent prospects all they really need is some patience.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Talkshite yesterday were saying that the owners have ruled out a groundshare and plan to expand Anfield to 60k seats.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
I went to my sons football presentation just outside of Geelong, Australia yesterday and the club who had the most replica shirts on the backs of the kids was Liverpool, by quite a long way too. Even with so many years in the Wilderness there is still a huge worldwide support. This is what continues to make them one of the biggest clubs in the world. (this of course depends on your definition of a big club)

I think this is because everyone seemed to support them in the early 80s,now it s their kids !

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
IMO they are 1 top striker away from being a very good side. Skrtel and Agger are a solid pair of CB's, Johnson, Enrique, Kelly are good full backs. They have a strong central midfield and for the first time in a while they have some genuine width. Suarez needs to be deployed as a 2nd striker leaving the fragile Borini up front. Swap him for Llorente for example and they would be very competitive.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Liverpool used to be a club, that kept a manager, for years, now it seems, every 1-2 years they sack the manager, back to the drawing board for them I think.

Following on from that, Liverpool in the 70's 80's had a very good way of integrating players......Gary Gillespie of Coventry was the perfect example....players would e bought and then put in the reserves to " learn" the Liverpool way. Then once they have been thought the way, they were ready to slot into the system...and for years it worked. Then the " boot room" collapsed as teams started to buy foreign players and Liverpool were caught up with this and bought some really bad players who would never get within a million miles of the old side.

Trouble is they have never recovered from this and seem to be lurching from season to season

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Liverpool looked very good in the first half, Joe Allen once again was outstanding in his deeper lying role letting Gerrard hit his 50/50 long balls the commentators rave over. Until the red card, they were all over United and it was a very impressive snapshot of how they'll be playing by the end of the season.

Even Gus Poyet's Brighton wasn't built in a day, you can't take a bunch of cloggers and sloggers and turn them into a footballing team immediately, it will take time for Rodgers to weed out the players who either aren't mentally able, or aren't technically capable of playing his way. And getting players in won't be easy either, because being Liverpool they'll expect world class players but for the time being, they aren't going to be an attractive proposition. Gylfi Sigurdsson turned them down for Spurs in the summer, the powershift from Liverpool to Tottenham has been completed and it's going to take a lot of hard work, patience and shrewd transfer business to turn it around. Given the time, Rodgers will turn them around but it's going to take this season of 11th-14th to set the bench mark he can then build from. They still have wildly inflated ambitions, in the stands atleast.

Yep, that's how I see it. I've a lot of time for Rogers, future Brighton manager ;)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Or is the weight of the Hillsborough tragedy going to weigh them down forever ?
Hillsborough has never weighed them down. Heysel, maybe, but a tragedy affecting your fans unites them and builds history.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
It's got nothing to do with Hillsborough. They were a force until Benitez lost the plot. Dagleish has now f***ed them financially, and poor old Rodgers has to put the pieces together. They'll end up mid-table this season, unless they find a goalscorer from somewhere

Very much this.

Benitez was a good manager, but he ripped the heart out of the club by getting rid of all the backroom staff when he came in. Once he was sacked they no longer had any continuity to pick up the pieces. Kenny wasted all the money and the new owners aren't prepared to thorw what it would take for them to catch up with Utd, Chelsea and Man City. They now have a mid table side and no hope of going further unless a manager comes in and works some magic or they get multi billionaire owners.

It's a different game at the top since Abramovich bought chelsea and the Arabs bought man city, I also think that Arsenal are lucky not to find themselves in the same position as liverpool but for the brilliance of Wenger over the past 5 years.

Liverpool are the new spurs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here