Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will Liverpool FC Ever Recover ?

life on mars 73

Oct 19, 2010
I remember just a few weeks after Hillsborough, Liverpool lost to Arsenal in that epic title-decider game, and it seems to me that they've never been quite the same power since.

Will they ever get back to their former greatness, I wonder ?

Or is the weight of the Hillsborough tragedy going to weigh them down forever ?

tweenster

Oct 16, 2009
Lincoln
Football tends to be cyclical. It may be 5 years, 10 years or 30 years, but they will come back. I can remember Man Utd being relagated to what was then Div 2, won the Div 2 title the following year and have been in Div 1/Prem ever since. Being relegated gives them a chance to clear out the over paid dead wood and come back fresh. Maybe ...

Stumpy Tim

It's got nothing to do with Hillsborough. They were a force until Benitez lost the plot. Dagleish has now f***ed them financially, and poor old Rodgers has to put the pieces together. They'll end up mid-table this season, unless they find a goalscorer from somewhere

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
No, not for some time.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Yes, eventually. Still one of the top brand names in football, and their time will inevitably come again.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Interesting question, personally the ghosts of the past and weight of expectation will always haunt them at Anfield, I think to move forward the club needs to move to a new stadium.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Liverpool looked very good in the first half, Joe Allen once again was outstanding in his deeper lying role letting Gerrard hit his 50/50 long balls the commentators rave over. Until the red card, they were all over United and it was a very impressive snapshot of how they'll be playing by the end of the season.

Even Gus Poyet's Brighton wasn't built in a day, you can't take a bunch of cloggers and sloggers and turn them into a footballing team immediately, it will take time for Rodgers to weed out the players who either aren't mentally able, or aren't technically capable of playing his way. And getting players in won't be easy either, because being Liverpool they'll expect world class players but for the time being, they aren't going to be an attractive proposition. Gylfi Sigurdsson turned them down for Spurs in the summer, the powershift from Liverpool to Tottenham has been completed and it's going to take a lot of hard work, patience and shrewd transfer business to turn it around. Given the time, Rodgers will turn them around but it's going to take this season of 11th-14th to set the bench mark he can then build from. They still have wildly inflated ambitions, in the stands atleast.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Interesting question, personally the ghosts of the past and weight of expectation will always haunt them at Anfield, I think to move forward the club needs to move to a new stadium.

It seems that a new stadium is off of the agenda, 400 million to develop Anfield into a 60k all seater, not a penny from anywhere Merseyside apparently.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
It seems that a new stadium is off of the agenda, 400 million to develop Anfield into a 60k all seater, not a penny from anywhere Merseyside apparently.

Seems pointless to me that stadium is totally ill-equiped for modern day football.

They had probably the three greatest managers in the UK in Shankly,Paisley and Fagin yet broke the mould from shaping a manger from within hence the chronic underachieving.

What is so hurtful about this is that they were the greatest European team for quite a while pnce.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
I remember just a few weeks after Hillsborough, Liverpool lost to Arsenal in that epic title-decider game, and it seems to me that they've never been quite the same power since.

I think they will, domination at the top of the football league runs in cycles Manure are coming to the end of theirs.The Americans have ruined the financial stability at the club and the sweaty sock is on his last legs another club will fill the void when united implode, it could be liverpool it could be the arse

life on mars 73

Oct 19, 2010
Yes, and I seem to recall when they were at the peak of their greatness during the 70's and 80's, they were generally liked and admired by the average football fan, in a way that Man Utd never have been over the past 20 years or so.

Or is my memory playing tricks on me ?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Yes, and I seem to recall when they were at the peak of their greatness during the 70's and 80's, they were generally liked and admired by the average football fan, in a way that Man Utd never have been over the past 20 years or so.

Or is my memory playing tricks on me ?

No it is not, everyone would support a British club then in any European Final be it Liverpool, Forest, Spurs, Villa etc

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It's got nothing to do with Hillsborough. They were a force until Benitez lost the plot. Dagleish has now f***ed them financially,

to be fair, im not sure the fees paid are down to Dalglish, the hand of Comolli as director of football was involved there. i dont know if Dalglish selected the targets or not, but Comolli was also on the tiller for the Carroll deal where they substantially over paid.

still, thier fall hasnt anything to do with Hillsborough.

Last edited:

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing

I really can't see why the tragic events of hillsborough has anything to do with the demise of Liverpool FC. Wasn't it only a few years ago they won the champions league ?

Maybe the Man Utd fans were singing always the victim never your fault to all those Liverpool fans who believe the demise of their club is to do with Hillsborough and not mis management of the club by its owners ?

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
In my lifetime they were the best football playing side that I have seen in the flesh.

That was a year or two ago now and unfortunately they let their grip slip away, and I don't think they'll ever get back to where they were 30 years ago. Football has moved on and they have not.

An era is over and one day, maybe one day, we could have a bit of the success that they have tasted! Who knows?

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Thought they were terribly unlucky today. If they keep faith with BR I think they could be back in with a shout in the next couple of years.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here