Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Will Lewis Dunk be secretly relieved...

5Ways Gull

È quello che è
Feb 2, 2009
Fiveways, Brighton
I couldn't believe how we persisted with Pickford's long kicking 🤦🏼‍♂️.
In those few minutes after we scored we had Spain pinned back. By their corner flag, Walker with his throw in didn't see enough movement (should have thrown it short to Palmer 🤷🏼‍♂️...but probably coaching) and threw it back to Stones who under pressure put it back to Pickford.
Pickford kicked long of course, and we lost possession and momentum.
I thought in that moment that we'd lose...it was England in a nutshell.
Think Shearer mentioned this a number of times on BBC commentary last night. Our transition from defence to offence was ponderous. We had a player in the squad whose club had excelled at that for the last season and a half which he was a fundamental part of, and he saw precisely 0 seconds of action. We should have made it harder for Spain for more than that few minutes after Cole came on.

Ok I admit I am a bit biased.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Its such a shame that Dunk hasn't been given the chance in the England side. It is surely too late for him now, with a new manager looking ahead beyongd the WC. I think we will see a big change with the older players giving way and the new manager concentrating on a new core to the squad

Arguably Dunk should have been picked and played the last WC and two Euros, he was at his peak and would have possibly been for England what he is for Brighton. I cant see him anywhere near any future squads unfortunatly, not because he isnt good enough now , but simply because the new manager will be concentrating for the next "generation"

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Its such a shame that Dunk hasn't been given the chance in the England side. It is surely too late for him now, with a new manager looking ahead beyongd the WC. I think we will see a big change with the older players giving way and the new manager concentrating on a new core to the squad

Arguably Dunk should have been picked and played the last WC and two Euros, he was at his peak and would have possibly been for England what he is for Brighton. I cant see him anywhere near any future squads unfortunatly, not because he isnt good enough now , but simply because the new manager will be concentrating for the next "generation"
I agree. New manager likely to be looking at players under 30, which I understand.

Personally I think Dunky will be happy for the experience, but regretful not to get on. But the bloke is a team player and a proper pro. He'll put that aside and get on with what comes next

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I agree. New manager likely to be looking at players under 30, which I understand.

Personally I think Dunky will be happy for the experience, but regretful not to get on. But the bloke is a team player and a proper pro. He'll put that aside and get on with what comes next
Agreed

Dunk will definitely see it as a good experience, as an England fan, not as a professional.

His England career is now over, which is good news for us.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Think Shearer mentioned this a number of times on BBC commentary last night. Our transition from defence to offence was ponderous. We had a player in the squad whose club had excelled at that for the last season and a half which he was a fundamental part of, and he saw precisely 0 seconds of action. We should have made it harder for Spain for more than that few minutes after Cole came on.

Ok I admit I am a bit biased.
And I think I saw Stones bring the ball out of defence into midfield once yesterday (maybe it was more and I've blanked out the game!)...and the Spanish backed off, felt threatened by it. Stones is great at that for City...and yet Southgate won't use that skill 🤦‍♂️

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
On the plus side, at least it won’t take him long to unpack.

IMG_5117.jpeg

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I'm not sure what Dunky could have done if he had got on. With Pickford launching it over his head straight to the opposition, Rice taking it off his toes and no midfielder coming short for the ball on the turn, I suspect he may have found it extremely frustrating. Just a tragedy that his peak footballing years coincided with Southgate's England tactics :shrug:

Still head and shoulders Albion's GOAT :thumbsup:

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Be interesting to see how he does with our new manager. If he gets the ball and is asked to drive forward a few questions could come Southgate’s way. But I guess that’ll be history soon.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I'm not sure what Dunky could have done if he had got on. With Pickford launching it over his head straight to the opposition, Rice taking it off his toes and no midfielder coming short for the ball on the turn, I suspect he may have found it extremely frustrating. Just a tragedy that his peak footballing years coincided with Southgate's England tactics :shrug:

Still head and shoulders Albion's GOAT :thumbsup:
Well he'd have put away those simple headers that Rice and Guehi missed at the end for a start!

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Stones and Dunk would have been an ideal partnership. Ironically Konsa probably the best option as 3rd CB if going back three too. Walker nowhere near for me and Guehi very much a bench option all be it a welcome one squad wise.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Stones and Dunk would have been an ideal partnership. Ironically Konsa probably the best option as 3rd CB if going back three too. Walker nowhere near for me and Guehi very much a bench option all be it a welcome one squad wise.
Unfortunately the one thing Guehi has that Dunk doesn’t is pace. Although that was somewhat negated by how low we played under Gareth.

theboybilly

Guehi has been excellent, you can't lay anything at his door. The upside is that he won't be at Palace next season.
Had an easy ride where that defence was largely protected by a hard working Rice. Saying that there were troublesome times against Serbia, Switzerland, Holland and Spain where luck was on our side. I'm still fuming that Guehi couldn't manage to play the Spaniard offside or even get near him to tackle. He really wasn't all that

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here