Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will it be possible to run the 100 metres race in one second?

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
All this talk about sub 9 seconds is ridiculous. Bolt's WR could stand for years. After all what incentive is there for him to break it and there is no guarantee that he is going to be fit enough to do it.
Jesse Owens ran 10.3 in 1936, with basic running shoes, no starting blocks and on a cinder track. It took until 1968 for Jim Hines to break the 10.0 barrier and 44 years on Yohan Blake runs 9.75 on one of the fastest surfaces in the world. Thats just over 2/10 of a second in nearly half a century.
Given all the developments of today and transported forward 76 years, Jesse Owens would be running as quick as the top guys today.
IMHO, somewhere between 9.25 and 9.40 is as fast as a human is ever going to achieve.( and its going to be a long long time in the future ! )

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I appreciate the estimation, but 100m in 1 second is naturally averaging 100m/s. Let's assume constant acceleration so maximum speed 200m/s at the finish line, which is 450mph - less than the speed of sound :thumbsup:

I need to get out more...
not sure about your maths there old chap. I make it 1500 mph.

misterspatch

Oct 16, 2011
Horsham
All this talk about sub 9 seconds is ridiculous. Bolt's WR could stand for years. After all what incentive is there for him to break it and there is no guarantee that he is going to be fit enough to do it.
Jesse Owens ran 10.3 in 1936, with basic running shoes, no starting blocks and on a cinder track. It took until 1968 for Jim Hines to break the 10.0 barrier and 44 years on Yohan Blake runs 9.75 on one of the fastest surfaces in the world. Thats just over 2/10 of a second in nearly half a century.
Given all the developments of today and transported forward 76 years, Jesse Owens would be running as quick as the top guys today.
IMHO, somewhere between 9.25 and 9.40 is as fast as a human is ever going to achieve.( and its going to be a long long time in the future ! )

Did they not say 10 seconds would never be broken. Sub 9 seconds will happen, 1 second will do as well but both will take time and a lot of drugs

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
The rest of the field came in together and it seems around 9.8 is about as fast as they can do.Bolt is an exception but he gave it his all and never broke his record.i know he never had the best of starts but like someone above says,his record could stand for years.I would be surprised if it gets below 9.5 in my lifetime but it will never get below 9 seconds.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I wonder if a boy will ever be born, that can swim faster than a shark.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Without performance enhancing drugs, of course.

If so, how many years do you think it will take before top athletes achieve this?

You are Mad Mike Parry and I claim my £5.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

I make it 223.2 mph.

regardless, 1500 mph or 223 mph, it will never happen for any animal-man included. Unless we become like some of the species on Star Trek.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton

200 meters per second * 3600 seconds in an hour is 720,000 meters per hour.
720,000 meters per hour/1600 meters per mile = 450 miles per hour.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
i wonder if a man will ever be able to stuff the entire moon up his arse? you may think that's crazy but there was a time when man landing on the moon was considered impossible...

Good shout, unlikely..... but more probable than a man running the 100 Metres in 1 second.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
200 meters per second * 3600 seconds in an hour is 720,000 meters per hour.
720,000 meters per hour/1600 meters per mile = 450 miles per hour.

The mathematical genius that is Jnr. Skipper is now sitting next to me. After thumping my calculator and sighing a lot, he looked it up on Google, which says 232.something. :shrug:

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
The mathematical genius that is Jnr. Skipper is now sitting next to me. After thumping my calculator and sighing a lot, he looked it up on Google, which says 232.something. :shrug:

NSC kagbakijfhg.png

:shrug:

And apparently it's 1609.3 metres in a mile, learn something new every day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here