Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will it be possible to run the 100 metres race in one second?

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I appreciate the estimation, but 100m in 1 second is naturally averaging 100m/s. Let's assume constant acceleration so maximum speed 200m/s at the finish line, which is 450mph - less than the speed of sound :thumbsup:

I need to get out more...

Bugger, should have divided. Big over estimation on my part, so no bang or smell of burning. But pushing against the air pressure still holds and it would get a bit warm.
Even if it was possible the Americans would be trying and failing as well. We would then give them the technology to make it possible, which they would then adopt and call their own, without even a word of thanks!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Why the thread ? it is frankly ridiculous

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Without performance enhancing drugs, of course.

If so, how many years do you think it will take before top athletes achieve this?
:lol: Did you write 9 seconds, and a cheeky mod change it to 1 second?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
:lol: Did you write 9 seconds, and a cheeky mod change it to 1 second?

Nope. I did put one second! That athletes will eventually get under nine seconds seems hard to dispute. Athletes running 100 metres in one second is much harder to imagine.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Why? There was probably a time when running 100 metres in less than ten seconds for a top athlete was considered an incredible achievement if not impossible. Now it's quite a standard thing to do.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Why? There was probably a time when running 100 metres in less than ten seconds for a top athlete was considered an incredible achievement if not impossible. Now it's quite a standard thing to do.

No i agree-lunacy Goldstone,be easier to fake a mission to the moon,actually it would be easier for man to fly to the moon..

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Nope. I did put one second! That athletes will eventually get under nine seconds seems hard to dispute. Athletes running 100 metres in one second is much harder to imagine.
:lol: harder to imagine, you're clueless.
Indeed.
Why? There was probably a time when running 100 metres in less than ten seconds for a top athlete was considered an incredible achievement if not impossible.
Really? When was that then, because 10 seconds was broken in the 60s, before people had full diet/training programmes. Since then, in over 40 years of development and drug taking, only 83 athletes have beaten 10 seconds, and the time has come down by less than half a second.

Do you understand that athletes have been training full time for decades and improvements on the current records get ever harder? There's a fair chance that 9 seconds will never be broken by someone without selective breeding. 8 seconds will never be broken. To consider that times like 1 or 2 seconds could be possible by a human shows stupidity beyond NSC's wide spectrum.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Sensible estimates of the limit of human performance for 100m are currently around 8.9s - 9.0s ...

Dec 29, 2011
I think 9.0s will be broken eventually. I imagine our legs can only travel up and down a certain amount of times due to muscle constraints, which means the next generation of athletes will be very tall (6'7, maybe taller) but with very fast twitch muscles. This means they need many less strides to reach the finish line.

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
I think it'll be 8 point something by the next Olympics personally.

Southwick_Seagull

Oct 8, 2008
I think 9.0s will be broken eventually. I imagine our legs can only travel up and down a certain amount of times due to muscle constraints, which means the next generation of athletes will be very tall (6'7, maybe taller) but with very fast twitch muscles. This means they need many less strides to reach the finish line.

Would extra height be an advantage? I read somewhere that in theory Bolt was too tall to a sprinter at 6ft 5 and that's why his starts are pretty average compared to most of the top class sprinters.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
I think it'll be 8 point something by the next Olympics personally.

I think Bolt could do 9 seconds flat if he gets a good start and sprints all the way.

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
I think Bolt could do 9 seconds flat if he gets a good start and sprints all the way.

It'll be Bolt to break it again IMO.

I'm quite excited to see how Yohan Blake gets on in the next couple of years, he's beat Bolt a few times, came second today and he's only 22. Him and Bolt train together all the time as well.

Southwick_Seagull

Oct 8, 2008
Yes, less strides needed to run the distance. It's a long way off and would take a massive change in thinking, and probably a change in start technique, but I think its the most plausible way 9.0s will be broken.

If Bolt had an unbelievable start he would surely be close to doing it now. I think the problem is (and i'm only going by this article as I'm no expert) was that his legs are too long and basically get in his way and he can't get them out and into stride as quickly as the shorter guys.

As with all records sports science and methods will mean that eventually they will be broken. All down to the rate of progress.

Last edited:

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
If evolution takes over and all humans end up growing to the height of a skyscraper you could probably complete 100m with one stride.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
If evolution takes over and all humans end up growing to the height of a skyscraper you could probably complete 100m with one stride.

Takes over what?

:jester:

John Bumlick

Banned
Apr 29, 2007
here hare here
i wonder if a man will ever be able to stuff the entire moon up his arse? you may think that's crazy but there was a time when man landing on the moon was considered impossible...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here