Votes: 4 3.3%
  • Sold On

Votes: 30 24.4%

• Total voters

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
I rate him as a good finisher but he clearly does not fit into Gus's bigger picture. We need to clear out the average players and start to place with quality. Hoskins will just be the tip of the iceberg in Gus's Summer Sale.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I rate him as a good finisher but he clearly does not fit into Gus's bigger picture. We need to clear out the average players and start to place with quality. Hoskins will just be the tip of the iceberg in Gus's Summer Sale.

I hope so ... the team news article on club website implies Painter is very much a part of plans and (with no disrespect) I can't see how we progress with players of his calibre. But I guess they'd hardly say we need to get him fit to sell him

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Never seemed capable of shaking off those little niggles from the start, and was never given a run in the team when fit.

Oh well, it was only half a mill.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
I rate him as a good finisher but he clearly does not fit into Gus's bigger picture.

Why buy him then? or has this picture just started to be formed? (genuine question)

As rugrat said... Gus and him must have had a fallout and Gus is too stubborn to let him back. Shame as i also would have liked to see what he could do for the last two games of the season.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Why buy him then? or has this picture just started to be formed? (genuine question)

As rugrat said... Gus and him must have had a fallout and Gus is too stubborn to let him back. Shame as i also would have liked to see what he could do for the last two games of the season.
I'm no manager but you could ask the same question about Harley and several of Gus's loan signings "Why sign them".

Hoskins is different as he did suffer with injury, maybe Gus was just unlucky with that one.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Every manager makes signings that look good on paper but don't work in practice - sometimes it's attitude,sometimes fitness and injury, sometimes personalities (player/manager or player/player) sometimes there is no particular reason but it just doesn't work. Brighton is no different to any other club and no matter how much research you do on a player you will get caught out. The ratio of transfer successes/failures/jury outs under Gus doesn't seem to be markedly different to anyone else.

As for recalling him from Sheffield to play - they would have to agree to it (and might not if they want him involved for key games including possible play-offs) and I'm not sure he is currently fit? A recurrent theme for Hoskins this season.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
He was injured almost from kick off and then asked to go on loan as soon as he was fit, because he wasn't being picked ? I think it's 100% adios. Just like McNulty

He's looked fairly useful in the handful of sub appearances I've seen him in. Too soon to say whether he could be part of the answer to our fairly low scoring rate; but deserves a clean slate in preseason. Would be a shame to see him go without knowing whether he could deleiver he goods. That said I have a sneaky feeling we won't see him again

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
From his press conference the other day I got the impression that Will has burnt his boats. But I am not very good at reading Gus. What hans said seems like a good idea.
I agree on all counts but the history of senior players who haven't acted how Gus would want says to me Hoskins will be off.

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
He needs the chance to prove himself. Injury stopped him this season and he was not getting a chance when he was coming back because he was not fit enough.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
From the little of seen of him, I think he would fit our style better than CMS.

It'll be a shame as I don't think he has had a chance to show what he can do.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Whatever he has or hasn't achieved at Sheffield United, I bet he's pleased he didn't accept the Bournemouth cash, looking at them now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here