Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will Hoskins - Opinions?

Keep or Sell?

• Total voters

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
These were his tweets around the time of the move, 26th Jan. I think he was reacting to the news of the Bournemouth bid, which obviously wouldn't have solved any "homesickness" (so why did we accept that if the problem was he wanted to go back up north), but certainly doesn't read like a guy pushing for a move. Btw, the timeline runs from bottom to top.

Will Hoskins‏@Hosky_7
Quite alot to take in at the moment. This has all been sprung on me. Not gonna comment anymore though as u possibly know more than me lol

Will Hoskins‏@Hosky_7
My comment about being disappointed was not aimed at the club #afcb but about a fee being agreed as only joined #bhafc in the summer.

Will Hoskins‏@Hosky_7
I have only just got back from my injuries and looking to bang some goals in. Would be disappointed if it is true.

Will Hoskins‏@Hosky_7
Just got in from training reading all my tweets. Shocked as u all are. Football is a mad game.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Trouble is, 4-5-1 is the way forward, as all progressive teams seek to win the midfield first.
Southampton, Reading, West Ham, Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs, M'boro, Blackpool ... all tend towards this strategy.

We've tried 4-4-2 and been outgunned by 3 in midfield & Bridcutt was unfairly trying to stem the tide of numbers almost on his own.

Barnes survived because he could work in midfield too, (as well as scoring regularly).

Can others adapt their game, if they are not the 1 striker?

Razak and Bridcutt would have been a great CM partnership in a 4-4-2. But Razak's demise and Vicente's emergence meant Poyet had to stick to one up front as he clearly didn't want Vicente playing out wide. Vicente wouldn't have provided Bridcutt with enough defensive cover and we didn't want him to have to worry about going forward and leaving Bridcutt isolated anyway.

Our system next season will depend completely on whether Vicente is still with us or not

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I was excited when he signed, more so than when Buckley signed last summer and would love to see him get a run of games. Hopefully his recent op is a success and he gets a chance at the start of the season.

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
Razak and Bridcutt would have been a great CM partnership in a 4-4-2. But Razak's demise and Vicente's emergence meant Poyet had to stick to one up front as he clearly didn't want Vicente playing out wide. Vicente wouldn't have provided Bridcutt with enough defensive cover and we didn't want him to have to worry about going forward and leaving Bridcutt isolated anyway.

Our system next season will depend completely on whether Vicente is still with us or not

You cannot beat 3 in CM with Bridcutt, Vicente & one other with pace & height.

Noone on the left,
Buckley on the right
Chopra up front.

I like that front 6.

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
I'd personally like to see him stay. When he came on on the odd occasion, he showed signs of being good enough. I have said it before, and I'll say it again, unless players get a real run in the team, you will never be able to judge them properly. But if it is true about the homesick excuse, I have to agree, that is pretty lame.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
TBH if he wasnt good enough to play in the team this season, then he hasnt got a chance next season if our aim is for the playoffs.

Not sure being good enough was the issue, it was the regular injuries he picked up that stopped him getting a run in the team and building match fitness/sharpness. That and having to play out wide rather than a central striking position when he did play made it difficult with him. We know from League 1 and his goal at Cardiff this year that he has talent and is a great finisher, just needs a solid preseason and run of games to prove it. Whether he gets that is between him and Gus.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I don't mind either way.

If he was fit, settled or whatever else behind the scenes I'd be happy to see him stay. But I think he will be sold.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Trouble is, 4-5-1 is the way forward, as all progressive teams seek to win the midfield first.
Southampton, Reading, West Ham, Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs, M'boro, Blackpool ... all tend towards this strategy.

We've tried 4-4-2 and been outgunned by 3 in midfield & Bridcutt was unfairly trying to stem the tide of numbers almost on his own.

Barnes survived because he could work in midfield too, (as well as scoring regularly).

Can others adapt their game, if they are not the 1 striker?

I agree that 4-5-1 seems par for the course in the Championship but did Hoskins understand that's what he would be expected to fit into when he signed for us ? I guess it can be said that he was asked to adapt because I only recall him playing in deeper roles, including when he scored at Cardiff. I still hope he stays because he knows where the goal is. I wonder how things would have turned out if a fit Hoskins had played the Barnes role for the same number of games? Could he have been our 15-20 goal man?

T.G

Mar 30, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
I watched him in pre-season games and he looked sharp and a natural finisher. I was hoping he would emerge as a top play for us. I think he should have a decent run if he can stay injury free and fit and then decide if he is good enough. I realise looking good against Burgess Hill is one thing thing, but performing in the championship is another, but he did look promising.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Sad that people continue to ignore mental illness (depression being a form) and discount it's impact on peoples' actions.
Depression is a common partner of ill health/injury and can be debilitating.

I cannot even begin to judge Hoskins' actions and I hope that before Gus is tempted to "shoot from the hip" he gets advice from his new medical team - they clearly got it right with Vicente. Then when all parties are ready to sit down and discuss the situation I am sure that a decision will be reached on Hoskins' future with the club that works for all involved.

blue2

Apr 21, 2010
at his best he could be a very good asset but with a large squad he needs to fight for a place

TheBlueAndWhiteStrips

May 27, 2009
Huntingdon
Just seen Will Hoskins latest tweets

Will Hoskins ‏ @Hosky_7
Just for the record Bristol to Notts just under 2 hours playin week in week out withmdays off. Brighton to Notts 3 1/2 in doin rehab mostly

Will Hoskins ‏ @Hosky_7
Just found it mentally hard and had family issues. All done with now and looking to the future. Looking forward to next year. #excited

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I think he is saying, when he was at Bristol Rovers, he was travelling from Nottingham, but this is not possible from Brighton. I feel for him a bit, lets see what happens.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Sad that people continue to ignore mental illness (depression being a form) and discount it's impact on peoples' actions.
Depression is a common partner of ill health/injury and can be debilitating.

I cannot even begin to judge Hoskins' actions and I hope that before Gus is tempted to "shoot from the hip" he gets advice from his new medical team - they clearly got it right with Vicente. Then when all parties are ready to sit down and discuss the situation I am sure that a decision will be reached on Hoskins' future with the club that works for all involved.

No sorry I am not buying that. I understand why depression can be a problem for touring cricketers, living in hotels for nine months a year, but this is not on the same scale. Either way the best way forward is for Hoskins to find a club closer to what he views as home.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Maybe it's just the way I'm reading it, but he seems to be a bit of a whinger and moaner and is just looking for an excuse to get out.

Shame because I thought he showed a lot of promise, but if he's not happy here for whatever reason, then get rid of.

He needs to take a leaf out of Vicente's book. It must have been horrendously awful for him for a few months, but he kept at it and look what we got in the end!

Makes me wonder why some guys take up professional football if they are going to get homesick.
Also their other halves must know that marrying a footballer probably means moving around the country.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
When Gary Speed committed suicide there were some great posts from people on Nsc who understood depression and how some could cope with what life throws at them and others should seek help. A prolonged injury can cause depression especially when you can't see an end to it. I think that we should be a bit more understanding of circumstances that we haven't had to deal with. Nobody knows how someone else can cope whether with family or without.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here