• No

Votes: 219 70.4%

• Total voters

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Lots of giddy excitement across all the dozens of Cummings threads .... thought I would add to the excitement ..

Featured-template-copy.jpg

https://order-order.com/2020/05/26/survation-tory-lead-shrinks-still-higher-than-2019-election/

Starmer PM by Xmas? :wink:

Trajectory.

And we have barely started.

But as you imply, eary days.

Boris could still pull a rabbit out of his arse. Arsehat. Hat.

Could happen.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Wasn't doubting the report - doubting Cummings'! On that note - why did he have to go to the hospital from his sickbed when he had the 'willing nieces' and parents next door who could have picked his son up?

I've also just read his wife's Spectator article for the first time. https://spectator.us/getting-coronavirus-bring-clarity/ It really was misleading:
  1. My version of the virus began with a nasty headache and a grubby feeling of unease, after which I threw up on the bathroom floor. ‘That’s disgusting, Mum,’ said my four-year-old son, handing me a towel with a look of patronizing distaste. I’ve never known a bug treat its victims so differently. Cummings said that his wife probably didn't have the virus.
  2. That evening, as I lay on the sofa, a happy thought occurred to me: if this was the virus, then my husband, who works 16-hour days as a rule, would have to come home. - 'That evening' was actually when they were on a five-hour journey to Durham. Some sofa!
  3. My husband did rush home to look after me. He’s an extremely kind man, whatever people assume to the contrary. But 24 hours later, he said ‘I feel weird’ and collapsed. I felt breathless, sometimes achy, but Dom couldn’t get out of bed. Day in, day out for 10 days he lay doggo with a high fever and spasms that made the muscles lump and twitch in his legs. - no mention that they had spent 5 of those 24 hours driving to Durham. And the 10 days he was laying doggo appears to cover the day he was able to drive to pick up his son from hospital.
  4. After the uncertainty of the bug itself, we emerged from quarantine into the almost comical uncertainty of London lockdown. - except they emerged from quarantine in Barnard Castle

My personal probably rubbish theory is they have possibly suffered from something else. The key being his son was released from hospital (after an overnight stay) after taking a test.Cummings didn't state clearly whether it was negative or not, but said he was released "home" the next day.

He was sent there with similar symptoms (according to Cummings) stayed overnight and was released.

Cummings stated he hasn't taken a test, but we don't know about his wife.

Is it a possibility that they thought they had it (or were going to get it) but it turns out the mass panic was for nothing ? They feel a bit silly and tried to cover the whole episode up.

That's the reason for the odd ramble at the start about advisors not being tested that week, the implication being he was unable to get one.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
My personal probably rubbish theory is they have possibly suffered from something else. The key being his son was released from hospital (after an overnight stay) after taking a test.Cummings didn't state clearly whether it was negative or not, but said he was released "home" the next day.

He was sent there with similar symptoms (according to Cummings) stayed overnight and was released.

Cummings stated he hasn't taken a test, but we don't know about his wife.

Is it a possibility that they thought they had it (or were going to get it) but it turns out the mass panic was for nothing ? They feel a bit silly and tried to cover the whole episode up.

That's the reason for the odd ramble at the start about advisors not being tested that week, the implication being he was unable to get one.

I'm not sure if I follow the logic in that; Is it meant to make what he did better/more excusable (can be read as 'aw, c'mon, the poor guy is just embarrassed 'cos he assumed covid19, if he'd been able to get a test we wouldn't be in this mess')? Is it meant to make it seem worse ('they're totally lying and weren't even covid-sick so don't even deserve sympathy for that', and if he wasn't really ill, there was even less of an excuse to go to Durham, and no 'testing my ability to drive after recovery' excuse for driving to Bramber Castle)? And just generally seems to ignore how big an issue it is that they are lying about what they did/why they did it, and ignoring the regulations he wrote that were supposedly for everyone because "we're all in it together"

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
It is the 'them' and 'us' attitude.
People in certain positions don't have to follow the rules, even ones they helped instigate.
He clearly had better options, but chose to put himself in the firing line, what did he really expect to happen.
Man's an idiot.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
and I know he's got everyone on ignore but a 'Thumbs up'! from [MENTION=1200]Harry Wilson's tackle[/MENTION] means a bit more now too.
HWT is a very reasonable bloke except he has a much lower tolerance level of morons. I think thats fine given the numbers that infest the boards.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It will be an interesting PMQ's today. I'm not sure if Starmer is going to forensically dissect Cumming's statement and its implications for government. I think he might well score a couple of open goals then move on to the lifting of the lockdown and the government's dubious testing promises.

It may be better for Labour in the long run just to poke the fire of controversy and let the Public, Tory press and the Tory Party combust in anger and watch Johnson fall apart. " Not us Guv..."

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
It will be an interesting PMQ's today. I'm not sure if Starmer is going to forensically dissect Cumming's statement and its implications for government. I think he might well score a couple of open goals then move on to the lifting of the lockdown and the government's dubious testing promises.

It may be better for Labour in the long run just to poke the fire of controversy and let the Public, Tory press and the Tory Party combust in anger and watch Johnson fall apart. " Not us Guv..."
There's no PMQs today, they're all on recess again.

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away

No PMQ's today as there still on their holiday

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing

No PMQs today@Vegster, it’s half term for our parliamentarians.
How the hell they justify 2 weeks off in the middle of the biggest crisis since WW2 I don’t know.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Lots of giddy excitement across all the dozens of Cummings threads .... thought I would add to the excitement ..
Starmer PM by Xmas? :wink:

I know you are a die in the wool conservative and brexit supporter, but you have made some rational well thought out points over time, and didn’t strike me as the kind of person to strap some lead on and clear radioactive graphite off the roof just because the party told you to*.

Often criticising your party feels like bowling for the opposition, but sometimes you have to be a neutral in the crowd simply in it for the game, not who wins. I don’t think this is about party politics and Starmer and his team are keeping well out of it, and so they should as the British public won’t like them taking advantage anymore than they like Cummings taking the piss.

Same with Brexit really, if there are aspects you don’t like about what is transpiring in negotiations (such as say customs checks on goods moving within our own borders) then being against those doesn’t put you ‘on the other side’, what happens politically effects everyone.

If Brexit was about taking back control from unelected officials making rules, what exactly does it say about Cummings making, then breaking, then lying about them? Surely it isn’t the looney left that should be most mad about this? This isn’t about a man taking his family somewhere, this is about the very principles on which the government was elected so convincingly.

It’s a tough one because you know how many Labour voters are posting so the natural reaction is to defend, but there is a point at which you have to have a non partisan view. As said above, the very principles on which Cummings appears to have been successful in campaigning appear to be his undoing.

[*Ive finally caught up with the Chernobyl boxset]

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I know you are a die in the wool conservative and brexit supporter, but you have made some rational well thought out points over time, and didn’t strike me as the kind of person to strap some lead on and clear radioactive graphite off the roof just because the party told you to*.

Often criticising your party feels like bowling for the opposition, but sometimes you have to be a neutral in the crowd simply in it for the game, not who wins. I don’t think this is about party politics and Starmer and his team are keeping well out of it, and so they should as the British public won’t like them taking advantage anymore than they like Cummings taking the piss.

Same with Brexit really, if there are aspects you don’t like about what is transpiring in negotiations (such as say customs checks on goods moving within our own borders) then being against those doesn’t put you ‘on the other side’, what happens politically effects everyone.

If Brexit was about taking back control from unelected officials making rules, what exactly does it say about Cummings making, then breaking, then lying about them? Surely it isn’t the looney left that should be most mad about this? This isn’t about a man taking his family somewhere, this is about the very principles on which the government was elected so convincingly.

It’s a tough one because you know how many Labour voters are posting so the natural reaction is to defend, but there is a point at which you have to have a non partisan view. As said above, the very principles on which Cummings appears to have been successful in campaigning appear to be his undoing.

Definitely this. I have never got my head around those who will never criticise their party of choice. Surely it is impossible to share every single view and decision they make. Especially given the number of people like me who have to pick an choose who we vote for based on the various combination of stances on different issues. The MPs can't agree with each other when it comes to policy. And yet we have the same diehards time after time agreeing with everything their party goes with. Corbyn made some absolute howlers but there was a queue out of the door waiting to defend his moves. I am assuming one of the 10 Lib Dem supporters does something similar.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
How the hell they justify 2 weeks off in the middle of the biggest crisis since WW2 I don’t know.

My apologies to our collective MPs, it appears Johnson is appearing before the Parliamentary Liasons committee today, to answer questions on the Government response to CoVid 19.
It will be the first time Johnson has had to make an appearance before the committee made up of 37 senior MPs who chair various other committees since his election.

The committee will ask questions on the CoVid pandemic, and Cummings role in the

Government.

My mistake, the committee is made up of 37 MPs, but, only 6 will question Johnson, Sir Bernard Jenkin ( Tory) is chair, Hilary Benn and Sarah Champion, both Labour, Karen Bradley Greg Clark, Tory, and Pete Wishart, SNP.

Some controversy as Tory MP Tobias Ellwood wasn’t chosen as part of the inquisition.

Last edited:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Thanks, I badly took my off the ball! Yes, two weeks off, incredible.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Financial Times Editorial yesterday (not in full):

The foundation of this UK government is a bunker of close allies surrounded by a lightweight, supine and largely ineffectual cabinet chosen mainly for their commitment to Brexit or their loyalty to Mr Johnson in last year’s Conservative party leadership contest. With the possible exception of Rishi Sunak, the chancellor, and Michael Gove, the cabinet office minister, few show the gravity demanded of a secretary of state. More heavyweight conservatives are meanwhile banished to the back benches.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Definitely this. I have never got my head around those who will never criticise their party of choice. Surely it is impossible to share every single view and decision they make. Especially given the number of people like me who have to pick an choose who we vote for based on the various combination of stances on different issues. The MPs can't agree with each other when it comes to policy. And yet we have the same diehards time after time agreeing with everything their party goes with. Corbyn made some absolute howlers but there was a queue out of the door waiting to defend his moves. I am assuming one of the 10 Lib Dem supporters does something similar.

100% agree - so may people adopt a 'defend at all costs' mentality in relation to their party and a 'criticise at all costs' attitude to the others and seem unable to at least admit to any kind of balanced, considered judgement on any given situation/policy. It's worse than football club tribalism and just as polarised. I don't see how even the bluest of blue can contend that this has been anything other than a colossal **** up by Boris.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Surely it isn’t the looney left that should be most mad about this?
This is the bit I don't get.

As a yogurt knitted sandal (messy) wearing libtard I'm in no way surprised by any of this.
The politics have been Veeptastic.

I assume the further left you go from me, the resignation to the events become ever more predictable.

So all this is playing out for the Tory-Blues.
To me no matter which way you slice it, it's a shite show that has been made progressively worse with every half truth, revelation and down right lie.

Boris (although clearly it's not Boris) is abusing the trust of his, and most importantly, his party's support and they aren't outraged by it.

There's nothing wrong with being a Tory and saying 'oh f**k off, how stupid do you think I am?'
In much the same way as there's nothing wrong with saying 'I really f**ked this up and I'm sorry'.

But have you completed the very enlightening companion piece podcast?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here