Votes: 92 29.6%
  • No

Votes: 219 70.4%

• Total voters

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Except there's no debate to be had.

When the police arrest someone for murder, it's not up to them to decide that they're guilty.

its not murder though, its a minor offense and police often do use discretion at this level of offense.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The problem is that Cummings is the 'architect' of Brexit and been advising Vote Leave all along. If you can't trust him on this, then how could he be trusted on Brexit?
I know other people have had a vision of what leaving the EU meant and now realised that what is actually happening isn't what they expected at all. They have changed their minds, which is why people wanted a People's Vote.
https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/dominic-cummings-leave-voters_uk_5ecd3ad3c5b6a812dc66aad3

Anyway, back on topic.
Many more haven't changed our minds! And many remainers have come to accept that we're leaving (though you'll doubtless find a few who haven't if you go on the Brexit thread!) Oh, and btw, I think you'll find that it was people who voted in the referendum - I'd be interested to hear any theory that it was anyone other than people!

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
This is what i couldn't understand about yourself and people like my brother who voted leave and endorsed the ERG/UKIP position. One look at these people's past record shows that they were and are only interested in themselves and their track record e.g. NHS was/is a clear sign of what they want to do to shape the country and in my consideration the EU is/was the lesser of two evils.

Strange to think the EU is the lesser of 2 evils compared to the NHS. Still, you're entitled to your opinion ........................

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Strange to think the EU is the lesser of 2 evils compared to the NHS. Still, you're entitled to your opinion ........................

Sorry for the poor english...

This is what I couldn't understand about yourself and people like my brother who voted leave and endorsed the ERG/UKIP position. One look at these people's (the ERG) past record shows that they were and are only interested in themselves and their track record e.g. their disdain for the NHS was/is a clear sign of what they want to do to shape the country. In my opinion when it came to the EU or the ERG/UKIP group then the EU is/was the lesser of two evils

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Many more haven't changed our minds! And many remainers have come to accept that we're leaving (though you'll doubtless find a few who haven't if you go on the Brexit thread!) Oh, and btw, I think you'll find that it was people who voted in the referendum - I'd be interested to hear any theory that it was anyone other than people!

Please will you expand on this term 'accept'.........

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
its not murder though, its a minor offense and police often do use discretion at this level of offense.

A legal view:

this.jpg

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It's pretty clear by now that Cummings is safe no matter what. He could tie Black Rod to a pole and fellate him live on TV and Johnson would claim that dear old Dom's hand and mouth slipped and the todger and camera should never have been there in the first place.

The much bigger quesiton for me is will the country forgive them at the next election? If Brexit goes badly we could be looking at decades of Labour rule under Starmer.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It's pretty clear by now that Cummings is safe no matter what. He could tie Black Rod to a pole and fellate him live on TV and Johnson would claim that dear old Dom's hand and mouth slipped and the todger and camera should never have been there in the first place.

He'd have problems doing that ...Black Rod is a woman

If Brexit goes badly we could be looking at decades of Labour rule under Starmer.

I don't think there's any doubt that Brexit will go badly - even Farage said there'd be a short term hit (and that was before Covid-19 and the vote for the most incompetent PM in modern times). The question is how deep will it be and how long will it last.

As i said earlier, the disaster of Brexit will be the excuse for Cassius Gove and Brutus Hunt to sharpen their knives

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
He hasn't though - although I've seen lots of complaints that he's not been exploiting it. Personally, I think he's doing the right thing, he's giving Johnson plenty of rope. If Labour starts getting too heavy, the Tories will all regroup to turn their attention to Labour, at the moment there are 42 (and counting) calling for Cummings' resignation, Starmer doesn't have to do anything

As well as twitter which apparently doesn't count ..

The Prime Minister has treated the British people with contempt.

One rule for Dominic Cummings, another for everybody else. pic.twitter.com/XIFCztZnbu

— Keir Starmer (@Keir_Starmer) May 24, 2020

This was a test of the Prime Minister and he has failed it.

It is an insult to sacrifices made by the British people that Boris Johnson has chosen to take no action against Dominic Cummings.

The public will be forgiven for thinking there is one rule for the Prime Minister’s closest adviser and another for the British people.

The Prime Minister’s actions have undermined confidence in his own public health message at this crucial time.

After a week when the Prime Minister has taken his eye off the ball, it is now time to focus on the task at hand.

The nation’s health must come first.https://t.co/429X3H1r4Q

— Keir Starmer (@Keir_Starmer) May 27, 2020

"If I were Prime Minister, I would have sacked Cummings."

Labour Leader Sir Keir Starmer has called for an investigation into accusations Dominic Cummings broke lockdown rules, saying Boris Johnson is "treating the British public with contempt."

More: https://t.co/zRpwDBAG5n pic.twitter.com/grGJ9OeLgo

— SkyNews (@SkyNews) May 24, 2020

... there are numerous other examples ..

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/keir-starmer-dominic-cummings-broke-22097178

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...-dominic-cummings-test-lockdown-a9530711.html

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-52793379/starmer-pm-treating-public-with-contempt

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...tical-tweets-about-dominic-cummings-6pplj8sxh

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/k...06/Video-Keir-Starmer-PM-sacked-Cummings.html

Yes, I accept Corbyn would have been more aggressive/attack minded/clumsy but suggesting Starmer/Labour aren't exploiting the government's difficulties is simply untrue. It's part of his/their job after all.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

The much bigger quesiton for me is will the country forgive them at the next election? If Brexit goes badly we could be looking at decades of Labour rule under Starmer.
When we find out what happened behind the scenes at the start of the Pandemic the last thing the Government will be worrying about is Brexit.

I think Cummings himself knows he is toast due the mistakes he made at the start. He's the only one publically to say mistakes have been made.

Boris brushed it away when asked about Cummings comments.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
If after a few days Cummings and his wife had gone down with virus and ended up in Durham hospital. Would people have said good job he was somewhere where child could be looked after or would they still have said should have been in London with no suitable childcare.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
If after a few days Cummings and his wife had gone down with virus and ended up in Durham hospital. Would people have said good job he was somewhere where child could be looked after or would they still have said should have been in London with no suitable childcare.

He had suitable childcare in London but chose to not take it, as his niece had already offered.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

Stupid stupid question with an equally stupid analogy.

One of the main reasons for the lock down was to stop people moving away from massively resourced NHS areas like London to lesser resourced areas like Durham.

I hope it didn't take you long to compose that question.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Yes, I accept Corbyn would have been more aggressive/attack minded/clumsy but suggesting Starmer/Labour aren't exploiting the government's difficulties is simply untrue. It's part of his/their job after all.

But, given the difficulty that the government is in, Labour have been remarkably quiet (and, remember, Parliament is sitting this week so what other opportunities are there to make a noise?)

If you go back to my original post on the subject, I said that there are lot of tweets from people saying that he hasn't done enough - I've not seen a single one saying that he's been too agressive or too vocal.

Jan 30, 2008
Well after enjoying a few hours fishing I'm sad to say the usual suspects on here stil having faux outrage clearly have nothing better to do

Regards
DF

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
He had suitable childcare in London but chose to not take it, as his niece had already offered.

But he promised Mary that he'd take her away for a break for her birthday, and also that he'd take her to Barnard Castle

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Possibly - but the lawyers' views that I've seen basically say that the wording indicates that he DID commit a breach of the regulations (ie, the law), but because it was "minor", no further action needs to be taken.

Therefore, I think it's logical to conclude that minor breaches of the regulations are fine (and are even to be applauded by the Prime Minister, in fact!).

Part of the problem in all this is that we have "guidelines" (STAY AT HOME), and "regulations" (ie, the law - which lists out detailed circumstances, etc). It's pretty clear that Cummings didn't adhere to the guidelines, and also breached the regulations (albeit in a minor way). I still find it bizarre that they concocted the story about testing his eyesight, though - in a way it was entirely unnecessary, and just served to underline how willing they are to use whatever lies they feel like!

Of course, the Government will keep up their "Let's move on" message.

Trouble is "let's move on" is the only option... If the people march on parliament sq, we would be seen as idiots breaching lockdown rules and endangering everyone. And it's a very long time until the ballot boxes appear again.

I for one, will never vote for Boris again, nor will I actively cooperate with his continuing measures (I will *not* put myself or anyone else at risk though... Because Cummings is the c**t doing that).
Not sure yet whether that means I can or would do anything different but what I do, I do for the good of the British people not because some Whitehall scumbag has created a slogan.

Seriously though... Boris is toughing it out now because he knows the people will still comply and by the time he faces a public vote this will have been such a minor blip in his performance as to be insignificant.

What it would take is for several million people who voted for him at the last election to pledge never to vote Tory again so long as Boris, this cabinet and Cummings are associated with them.
But... There would have to be a Centre Right option available because I wouldn't vote for Farage and his rabble but neither would I vote for the Keynesian economic folly of Labour.

So to be (centre-leaning) conservative, sensible, not want to give or catch a dangerous virus and still want to exercise a democratic right... What can I do??

Boris knows he and his chums can kick this so far into the long grass that he can stand a crash in the polls now.

Someone... Give me an option to realistically do *anything* to express how angry I am at this c**t Cummings in *any* effective manner.

If you are Labour now, then you can be angry but nothing changes for you... If you aren't, then you are doubly f**ked.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here