Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will Capello be the most disliked England manager ever?

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
I know. ten consecutive wins, something that NO England manager has ever accomplished, not even if you want to go back to some pre-war era when England were 'good' by default (because other countries had only just started playing). And yet people can STILL ask idiot questions like "Will Capello be the most disliked England manager ever?" Unbelievable.

One. I asked the question because I wanted the true answer of how people felt about him. I personally don't like him but that is because I don't think he is that good in his man management skills which seem to be required to bring the best out of this bunch of Primadonnas.

Two. I don't really give a shit, I'm Irish.

Three. I haven't read the Sun. ( So this question was not a response to the article which has according to other posts appeared today.

Four. I'm just curious as to how others view him so not such an idiot thing to do asking a football related question on a football message board. ( IMHO )

Five. As stated before I think the question has been answered & people do actually still believe he is the right man for the job.

Six. I get a tad touchy when implied I'm an idiot.

Last edited:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
You have a point about the Premiership, but your comments are off target.

The problem with the Premiership teams is their use of too many foreign players which is preventing the development of young English players. How has that got anything to do with Sky, The Sun or anyone other than the Premier League and its clubs?

Utter f***ing bollocks, we didn't have lots of foreign players in 1972, 1976 (failed to qualify for the Euros), 1974, 78, 94 (Failed to qualify for the World Cup). Look at some of our other great efforts, 1988, played 3 lost 3 etc.

Remember two years ago under an English manager we failed to qualify for the Euros, or perhaps 2002 with the 'passion' of Keegan we were abject, and managed to lose to both Portugal and Romania, despite scoring twice against both teams.

Even our relative successes such as Italia '90 involved ONE victory in five matches over 90 minutes, and that was against the might of Egypt, similarly in Euro '96, we managed to draw against.....err.... Switzerland, and then when we played Spain in the quarter finals they had two perfectly good goals disallowed for offside before we scraped through on penalties.

The reason why we do poorly is lack of technique, lack of intelligence and lack of athleticism.

Your thinly veiled racist views are as usual WIDE of the mark, but never let the facts get in the way of your bigotry eh?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
One. I asked the question because I wanted the true answer of how people felt about him. I personally don't like him but that is because I don't think he is that good in his man management skills which seem to be required to bring the best out of this bunch of Primadonnas.

I'm inclined to agree with you in terms of man management for tournament play, which probably needs a different skill set to that of club management. You have 23 emotionally immature pampered multi millionaires cooped up together for six weeks, and it would take someone highly intelligent as well as technically adept, and with a degree in psychology to get the best out of them.

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
I'm inclined to agree with you in terms of man management for tournament play, which probably needs a different skill set to that of club management. You have 23 emotionally immature pampered multi millionaires cooped up together for six weeks, and it would take someone highly intelligent as well as technically adept, and with a degree in psychology to get the best out of them.

Which would be my thoughts on where he is failing. I believe he is doing an impossible job anyway but I'd love to see someone really break up the old guard & run with some freah faces & legs in the England team because I think England does have very talented players & if Germanys example is anything to go by.....

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P

voice of reason as always el pres.

its quite simple. find out how the others do it - copy that - maybe win something. we need a woodward style attitude to this. unless of course we all admit to the secret truth that most people in this country f***ing love watching england f*** up to give them something else to moan about.

i dont pretend to know what happens in england camps whether egos are too big or if in reality we just arent up there. all i know is my football watching started in the 70s when english clubs with mainly english players dominated europe and we didnt get f***ing anywhere internationally. so the blaming of others is mainly bollocks in my mind.

the other massive issue people forget is its a CUP competition at the finals apart from the first thre divvy matches. people bleat on about how well we qualified and then f*** up in tournaments but the clues in the name. if their was a world league over 4 years we would have a better chance of winning it. who would have thought a side being relegated would end up playing in a cup final against a world footballing giant?

as has been mentioned, people need to have some perspective.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
voice of reason as always el pres.

its quite simple. find out how the others do it - copy that - maybe win something. we need a woodward style attitude to this. unless of course we all admit to the secret truth that most people in this country f***ing love watching england f*** up to give them something else to moan about.

i dont pretend to know what happens in england camps whether egos are too big or if in reality we just arent up there. all i know is my football watching started in the 70s when english clubs with mainly english players dominated europe and we didnt get f***ing anywhere internationally. so the blaming of others is mainly bollocks in my mind.

the other massive issue people forget is its a CUP competition at the finals apart from the first thre divvy matches. people bleat on about how well we qualified and then f*** up in tournaments but the clues in the name. if their was a world league over 4 years we would have a better chance of winning it. who would have thought a side being relegated would end up playing in a cup final against a world footballing giant?

as has been mentioned, people need to have some perspective.

I agree with you to a point Spanish, but if you look at when English teams were doing well in Europe we had Liverpool with Dalglish, Rush, Lawrenson, Gillespie, Souness, Nicol, Grobelaar and a few others who I can't remember, Forest with Gemmill, Robertson, Burns and O'Neill. I grant you that Villa were mainly English though!

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Roy Hodgeson is English?

If we really must have a foreigner, then it could at least be someone who can speak English and is widely liked such ase Jose Mourinho, and not some greasy little Italian, and his foreign back-room staff. If we had won the Cup it would have been tainted by their involvement.

Assume you mean Roy Hodgson? Yes he is, and he's just taken over at Liverpool, do you think he is going to quit that to take over the England job?

So because Capello is a 'greasy little Italian', that would have tainted it if we won the world cup? But it would have been OK to win it with a non-greasy(!) little Portugese?

You are a very strange man.

The Modfather

Dec 13, 2009
Ibiza to the Norfolk Broads
Revie surely must be the most despised England manager,completely reviled
-rightly in my opinion-for walking out on England to take arab money.I actually
hated Eriksson as well

Agree 100% about Revie. He has to be the most hated England manager.

Lets not forgot he thought cash was more important than the England job.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I agree with you to a point Spanish, but if you look at when English teams were doing well in Europe we had Liverpool with Dalglish, Rush, Lawrenson, Gillespie, Souness, Nicol, Grobelaar and a few others who I can't remember, Forest with Gemmill, Robertson, Burns and O'Neill. I grant you that Villa were mainly English though!

yes with a certain mr mortimer with the armband.

different worlds. we are clutching at straws to a certain extent comparing the eras. another point that must be made is we have never sent players abroad in great numbers. we won the world cup with jimmy greaves having played in italy, in a suit, in the dug out.

i am making no real point apart from the fact that the national side is surrounded by hyperbole and bullshit and we are pointing fingers every which way but no one is saying hang on what do we need to do to f***ing be contenders. we have alwasy been club side fixated and to be honest thats our football.

france can win back to back euros and world cups but would you watch their football week in week out? we love our little local rivalries and history on our diddy island and we are so arrogant we have won one and that will do us. while there is no real will to try and do it again it will not happen. everyone is happy with pitching up in the pub and enjoying it win lose or draw. we are not going to fluke one. we either get it sorted or are doomed to go on like this forever. the thing is everyone will probably take the latter. chuck in some foreign fall guys and a top league that no one really loves and we are home and dry.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here