Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will Capello be the most disliked England manager ever?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
nice fishing trip. anyone proposing Capello is most disliked manager doesnt remember Taylor or Mclaren

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
There is the usual xenophobic clap trap. Yes, we would all like and english manager but there aren't any of the calibre to succeed. People bang on about Redknapp he has virtually zero experience of european football let alone international class. After him, who else is there. Maybe Hodgson but as good and as nice as he is, the media would be at his throat from day one. We had a shit world cup and that, as far as I am concerned is down first and foremost to the players. They couldn't do the simple things like control and pass and in one particularly bad example, get your body behind the ball to stop a shot. The players off-field extra curricular activities have had a negative effect on the squad, Stevie G's court case, Terry basic lack of morals and leadership capabilities etc etc.

If we start winning our Euro qualifiers then the world cup will soon be forgotten and the two faced british media will turn once again.

As for most disliked managers, I would suggest this is the list :-

1. Don Revie (by a country mile)
2. Graham Taylor (He selected Geoff Thomas and Carlton Palmer!)
3. McLaren (Had he not dropped Beckham I am sure we would have qualified for the Euros.
4. Kevin Keegan. All bluster and couldn't manage his way out of a paper bag. Walks away when the going gets tough.
5. Peter Taylor. Walked out on us but then he did make Beckham captain

The bottom of the list are managers I have respect for.

6. Howard Wilkinson
7. Sven Goran Eriksson.
8. Fabio Capello
9. Ron Greenwood
10. Alf Ramsey
11. Joe Mercer
12. Bobby Robson

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
One thing noone seems to have mentioned. Before the World Cup, Capello was just about the most experienced and successful club Manager going. He'd qualified for the WC in style, and just about the only thing he didn't have on his CV was big tournament experience. All right he f***ed it up, but you can be sure if he had another go in a big tournament he'll do it differently. So now he has that experience and people want to get rid of him.

Who shall we get instead? Pearce? Allardyce? Holloway?

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
There is the usual xenophobic clap trap. Yes, we would all like and english manager but there aren't any of the calibre to succeed. People bang on about Redknapp he has virtually zero experience of european football let alone international class. After him, who else is there. Maybe Hodgson but as good and as nice as he is, the media would be at his throat from day one. We had a shit world cup and that, as far as I am concerned is down first and foremost to the players. They couldn't do the simple things like control and pass and in one particularly bad example, get your body behind the ball to stop a shot. The players off-field extra curricular activities have had a negative effect on the squad, Stevie G's court case, Terry basic lack of morals and leadership capabilities etc etc.

If we start winning our Euro qualifiers then the world cup will soon be forgotten and the two faced british media will turn once again.

3. McLaren (Had he not dropped Beckham I am sure we would have qualified for the Euros.
4. Kevin Keegan. All bluster and couldn't manage his way out of a paper bag. Walks away when the going gets tough.

6. Howard Wilkinson
7. Sven Goran Eriksson.
8. Fabio Capello
9. Ron Greenwood
10. Alf Ramsey
11. Joe Mercer
12. Bobby Robson

If you "respect" Eriksson you really must be a sad little person!

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
nice fishing trip. anyone proposing Capello is most disliked manager doesnt remember Taylor or Mclaren
Trouble is, I don't think the thread starter WAS on a fishing trip!

6. Howard Wilkinson
7. Sven Goran Eriksson.
8. Fabio Capello
9. Ron Greenwood
10. Alf Ramsey
11. Joe Mercer
12. Bobby Robson
Hard to argue with that and I agree with you nearly 100%. The only quibble I might have would be over respect for Howard 'long ball' Wilkinson - but as he was only manager for one game it's hard to form an opinion!

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
One thing noone seems to have mentioned. Before the World Cup, Capello was just about the most experienced and successful club Manager going. He'd qualified for the WC in style, and just about the only thing he didn't have on his CV was big tournament experience. All right he f***ed it up, but you can be sure if he had another go in a big tournament he'll do it differently. So now he has that experience and people want to get rid of him.

Who shall we get instead? Pearce? Allardyce? Holloway?

Roy Hodgeson is English?

If we really must have a foreigner, then it could at least be someone who can speak English and is widely liked such ase Jose Mourinho, and not some greasy little Italian, and his foreign back-room staff. If we had won the Cup it would have been tainted by their involvement.

The Terminator

Aug 7, 2010
Steve Mclaren
end of thread

Spacegull

Sehr Kosmiche.
Feb 22, 2009
High Weald
Capello is quality.
The real reason for England's dismal showing lies systematically within the Premiership, which has become little more than a Newscorp (Sky) funded circus.
The Sun (another arm of Newscorp) is now trying to scapegoat Capello for all English failures as a smokescreen to prevent analysis of the big picture and thus protect their investment.
Possibly.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Capello is quality.
The real reason for England's dismal showing lies systematically within the Premiership, which has become little more than a Newscorp (Sky) funded circus.
The Sun (another arm of Newscorp) is now trying to scapegoat Capello for all English failures as a smokescreen to prevent analysis of the big picture and thus protect their investment.
Possibly.

You have a point about the Premiership, but your comments are off target.

The problem with the Premiership teams is their use of too many foreign players which is preventing the development of young English players. How has that got anything to do with Sky, The Sun or anyone other than the Premier League and its clubs?

Spacegull

Sehr Kosmiche.
Feb 22, 2009
High Weald
'The problem with the Premiership teams is their use of too many foreign players which is preventing the development of young English players'.

Possible reasons for this?

Capello has done the RIGHT thing in dropping a 35 year old who's now playing in a Mickey Mouse league. If anything, he was kind giving him all those extra caps in cameo roles for 10 minutes here and there, you can ill afford to be that sentimental in top level football.

Seems like the backlash for the world cup showing has begun from the red tops now... of course it's never the players fault. If they can pin anything on the manager they will.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Not while Glenn Hoddle's alive :glare:

glen hoddle will always be alive just with different levels of disability each time.

people forget robson being slaughtered by the papers in 86. everyone lined up behind them. now its St Bobby the Untouchable.

shame people dont dislike the shitty papers that churn out all this guff as much as England managers. Then we might start getting somewhere when the whole set up isnt terrified of what some dickhead in an office in wapping fancies whipping up for the gullible punters.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I forgot about Hoddle. Probably mid table but certainly has no respect from me. Should have taken Gascoigne to France even if he was only ever going to play 30 minutes. The one player we had at that time that could change a game (except of course we did find out that Beckham could do that against the Argies but not in the best way!!!)

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Capello is quality.
Possibly.

I think you're right :thumbsup:

Agent_Torpor

May 1, 2009
Someone needed to cut the old gristle from the squad and now he's getting stick for it?

Ridiculous. The job is massive, let the man do his work.

Axing Beckham was wonderful - in such a prick manner, well, that's just the proverbial cherry on top.

Aug 21, 2006
Royal Arsenal
Erm simply No.

Some people need some perspective, McClaren didn't qualify and neither did we under Taylor in '94.
The press would like you to believe he is hated but many people I have spoken to (and read on here) don't have that view

No need to read the rest of the thread. You're 100% right. We discussed it at work today and we all think he's been hard done by. The press clearly have their agenda, but they've mis-judged the view of the normal fan big time. It's the players that are/were the problem.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here