Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will Buckley: flair merchant extraordinaire

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Thought he was quite poor by his standards for the first half
Likewise, he didn't have the space to run at them, I thought Noone's style would have suited the first half better (facing the opposition, ball at feet, ready to go). But somehow in the second half he found more space and once going he looks fantastic.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
yea exactly. he can certainly defend as well. buckley will have to be very smart to beat jose enrique.

Hopefully it'll be CARRAGHER in the other full back slot. If Buckley switched wings he would win a pen off Carragher no question.

D

Deleted member 18477

Hopefully it'll be CARRAGHER in the other full back slot. If Buckley switched wings he would win a pen off Carragher no question.

good thinking. defence of carragher, coates, kelly, aurelio with a midfield of maxi, spearing, shelvey, henderson and caroll, kuyt up top.

but it'll more than likely be something like this id imagine...

reina

johnson, carragher, agger/skrtel, enrique

gerrard, spearing, adam/henderson

kuyt/maxi, suarez, carroll/downing

they'll rest bellamy for sure. but nonetheless they will have a strong bench just incase.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
good thinking. defence of carragher, coates, kelly, aurelio with a midfield of maxi, spearing, shelvey, henderson and caroll, kuyt up top.

but it'll more than likely be something like this id imagine...

reina

johnson, carragher, agger/skrtel, enrique

gerrard, spearing, adam/henderson

kuyt/maxi, suarez, carroll/downing

they'll rest bellamy for sure. but nonetheless they will have a strong bench just incase.

I said it because Carragher has been at full back on occasion in their last few games, with Agger and Skrtel in the middle.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Buckers is a bit of a 70's throwback, he really needs to grow his hair longer. Give him the number 8 shirt next season.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
i remember he did exactly that at the gillingham game, knocked it about 10 yards past their full back, looked like there was no way he was going to get it, and he just breezed past their full back.

he is so f***ing fast its unreal

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
All of this but I'm a bit worried that currently he's our only real outlet.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
He was brilliant last night, as simple as that.

However one moment of flair really stood out for me, although it didn't quite come off...

It was midway through the second half and we had a throw-in directly in front of the Albion fans. I'm not sure who took it - Calderon probably and he threw it to Buckley. Buckley played what seemed to be a pass to a player towards the corner flag, but there was no such player. Buckley then sprinted after the ball, giving the full back a 3 or 4 yard head start.

He just failed to get there first, but it was far closer than it should have been - the full back looked like he was running through quick sand relative to our speed machine.

A cynic may suggest it was a mis-hit from WB, but I refute that. He's so good he can pass to himself. FLAIR.

I agree. He's great and indeed one of our best players at the moment. However yesterday was not one of his best games. Too many times the final ball didn't work.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
In the Newcastle game, I loved his build up for his goal. He MEGGED the defender at pace, with one touch, with the outside of his boot.
Defender looks at bench and throws his arms in the air. Scenes.
Tell me I didn't imagine this.

I think he threw his arms up and looked round to check that Buckley hadn't gone down, because he was already on a booking and surely would've been sent off if he'd taken him out.

But still, Buckley SKINNED him with one touch. :love:

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
He was brilliant last night, as simple as that.

However one moment of flair really stood out for me, although it didn't quite come off...

It was midway through the second half and we had a throw-in directly in front of the Albion fans. I'm not sure who took it - Calderon probably and he threw it to Buckley. Buckley played what seemed to be a pass to a player towards the corner flag, but there was no such player. Buckley then sprinted after the ball, giving the full back a 3 or 4 yard head start.

He just failed to get there first, but it was far closer than it should have been - the full back looked like he was running through quick sand relative to our speed machine.

A cynic may suggest it was a mis-hit from WB, but I refute that. He's so good he can pass to himself. FLAIR.

yep saw that he nearly pulled it off could have been brilliant

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Great player.....plus he has a great chant.

I think I love him.......

Do you see him as a winger/scorer in the Kuyt mould ?

or do you think he could play the modern version of the Box-to-Box midfielder in the Trevor Brooking/ Bryan Robson type role ?

If he can play central midfielder we can play the the classic 4-4-3 with right-sided holding Bridcutt (cf. Brian Horton) and a left-sided creative Vicente/Noone/Harley as well as an out and out left winger: Kazenga. And two up front.

If he plays the Kuyt role there is no room for an out and out left winger (cause we can only play on one wing at a time).

There are other roles he could play as well.

It seems a waste that he has to take the corners.

Last edited:

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Do you see him as a winger/scorer in the Kuyt mould ?

or do you think he could play the modern version of the Box-to-Box midfielder in the Trevor Brooking/ Bryan Robson type role ?

If he can play central midfielder we can play the the classic 4-4-3 with right-sided holding Bridcutt (or Brian Horton) and a left-sided creative Vicente/Noone/Harley as well as an out and out left winger: Kazenga. And two up front.

If he plays the Kuyt role there is no room for an out and out left winger (cause we can only play on one wing at a time).

There are other roles he could play as well.

It seems a waste that he has to take the corners.

4 4 3, rush goalie then?

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
I said from the off that he was absolutely promising and he is now delivering but, FFS, he may have a quiet patch so don't then get on his back - He is outstanding !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here