Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wilkins rude to Hawesy?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
On listening to the post match interview from Tuesday again am the only one who thought Dean was little bit out of order the way he spoke to Hawesy when he put the question about the 'famous 5' to him?
Perhaps a "sorry Andrew I don't really want to talk about it" rather than his very abrupt yet repeated reply, would have been better?

You are not alone! Dean sounded like a rabbit in the headlights... in fact, I would say he came across not only as rude, but a bit of a tw@t!

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
I would have got pissed off too if Whoresey had kept asking the same question.
He asked it once and got "I don't want to talk about it" in return. What's wrong with Whoresey if he can't comprehend that!

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Wilkins was forthright, but he certainly wasn't rude.
I was a little bit aroused actually. He sounded quite butch.

That's the wrong Wilkins :laugh:

Ha! The way fans respond to every single thing the chairman or manager says - it's no wonder DW wouldn't want to talk about it.

DK gave everyone enough info to run with, didn't he? Why would DW want to risk mis-interpretations or statements thrown back at him later, or contradicting something his chairman has said? Maybe DK already asked him not to make any statements, or maybe DK went on the radio to talk about it because DW didn't want to/wasn't in the position to.

5 players targetted doesn't mean "any five possible permutations from the world of football". If one of the 5 fall through, does that mean that another name will be targetted to take that name's place? I would guess not, and that it would then mean the club were down to 4 possibilities.

I would imagine that DK and DW would have learned by now, if only from watching other clubs make 'early' announcements or leaked informations, that allowing rumours can shoot them in the foot, jeopardize deals-in-the-making or excite competition from other clubs to sign Albion targets or offer more to get them (our scouts doing the work for other clubs to capitolise on, in effect)

Look at the way football is going in the Prem! - some clubs harbouring the best players in the game, getting 8 top strikers on their books who might be lucky to play as many as 6 games a season!
Anelka goes to Chelsea, and how do Bolton replace him.... and how will they ever fare against Chelsea in the league now? As it is, Chelsea have a strike force of midfielders!
In illustration, a 'borderline' club like Tottenham had to worry about losing their chief asset, the only chance they have of ever competing anywhere near the top. Why? Because they started the season badly, and because their biggest asset isn't evenly matched by a super-group of fellow professionals on his team. Spurs, therefore, could be like BHAFC with Zamora unless they climb the division fast.

Bottom line - Dean Wilkins has to look at the concepts of talking about these things, in a completely different way to the public, and the crude publicizing conduit that is the media (yes Harty, that means you and Hawesy too).

It's a business, and to operate it wisely - everything that's asked by the media doesn't HAVE to be made public knowledge. Do the media sometimes know something we don't know? - some might think that, but my guess would be... rarely.

To paraphrase 'A Few Good Men" - the public can't often 'handle' the truth, and the media can't always be trusted with it either.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here