Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wilkins rude to Hawesy?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Nail. Head bulldog.

We'd just lost, it's a f***ing long way home and the team were down to the bare bones. And some bloke with a microphone wants to ask inane questions. I think the response was quite subdued considering.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I didn't hear the interview, what did he say? Was it "five, we're be f***ing lucky, I think what the Chairman meant to say was we have £5"

Midikilledmydog

Aug 20, 2006
Fair play to Wilkins, I'm not sure how many times he has to let it be known to the likes of Hawsey and Naylor that he does'nt want to discuss transfer targets before they get the message.

Fine, he doesn't want to discuss transfer targets, I don't want to pay £25 to watch the team, whose going to be the ultimate winner

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Wilkins is right not to discuss transfer targets. McGhee keenly aided by Knight (who still does it!) made us a laughing stock last January by listing about 10 strikers we were going to sign or missed out on. I don't want to hear about players we might sign, just the ones we do sign.

I truly believe Dean Wilkins has what it takes to take this club places, with the right kind of investment. So don't blame him for being focused on the job and not wanting to speculate like his chairman did so unwisely.

Midikilledmydog

Aug 20, 2006
So a thousand fans are'nt gonna turn up because Wilkins does'nt want to discuss transfers? :laugh:

Read the original, what I said was if he does'nt want to discuss it, all he needs to do is make a through away response, like any primadonnership manager not diss Hawsey and by association us

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
And read what I posted, How many times does he have to tell them he does'nt want to discuss tranfer targets before they get the message? If thats Wilkins style they should respect it, If they dont then fair play to him for being rude to them.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Ferguson is rude to everyone and refuses to talk to the BBC, he hasn't done so bad for himself.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Read the original, what I said was if he does'nt want to discuss it, all he needs to do is make a through away response, like any primadonnership manager not diss Hawsey and by association us

He didn't diss Hawsey at all. He just said (twice, after Hawsey asked twice) that he was not going to discuss transfers because he was frankly fed up with it. End of interview. He's probably had Naylor on the phone every half hour since Saturday poking around for a story, no wonder he was pissed off. I'd rather he was up-front about it than beating around the bush.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
He didn't diss Hawsey at all. He just said (twice, after Hawsey asked twice) that he was not going to discuss transfers because he was frankly fed up with it. End of interview. He's probably had Naylor on the phone every half hour since Saturday poking around for a story, no wonder he was pissed off. I'd rather he was up-front about it than beating around the bush.

Totally agree. See we can agree sometimes :lol:

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
I'm not one to bash Wilkins at all, but I have to say I was a little suprised by his responses to Hawesy after the Swansea match. I've always imagined Wilkins to be a very calm and sensible manager, extending to his dealing with the press, but throughout the interview with Hawesy he seemed quite stubborn and beligerent as if he was being asked unreasonable questions, the response to transfer questions was the icing. Whether he's annoyed or not, I would expect him to simply give a stock answer rather than letting off at the press.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I was surprised as well because it WAS out of character for Dean. But fair play to the fella - he spoke his mind. You can't ask for much more than that can you.

Nicky Rust

Jan 3, 2008
Hove
I can understand Wilkins getting fed up, but theres no need for him to take it out on reporters, who are the only people that give the fans what they want to hear!.
I think Wilkins has done a great job giving us attractive football when we're on form and a team so young and local it is promosing for all,but if fans hear a manager refusing to let the £25 a ticket fans know whats going on in a very rude and effortless way, then it can give the fans more reason to give Wilkins the same kind of response when the team dont do their job!!,
I personally dont think he wanted to answer the question as he has very little to do with the transfers, what football league manager is gonna know how good a player is who works part-time in ASDA is?
I wish it was easier for him but Brighton is one of the worst clubs to manage in England eg Steve Gritt saved Brighton from extinction when it looked impossible, sacked nxt season while playing at the Priestfield!,Mark McGhee wins a play-off final and gets us into the championship for 2 long seasons 3rd season sacked! Mark Mcghee now at Motherwell favourite for the Scotland job with Motherwell sitting 3rd in their league!
I sometimes wonder how hard it must be for a BRIGHTON manager when you look at Mcghees time here! getting booed by fans and not given chance once relegated!!Lets hope the boo boys dont turn on Dean!!!

Last edited:

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I was surprised as well because it WAS out of character for Dean. But fair play to the fella - he spoke his mind. You can't ask for much more than that can you.

Along with Kevin Blackwell they've gotta be the 2 unluckyest managers in the football league at the moment, It was'nt long ago they both had half decent teams playing pretty good football and now they've both had it ripped away from them for reasons out of they're control. I'm just grateful that Wilkins at least has the bollox to stick with it. :albion2:

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Along with Kevin Blackwell they've gotta be the 2 unluckyest managers in the football league at the moment, It was'nt long ago they both had half decent teams playing pretty good football and now they've both had it ripped away from them for reasons out of they're control. I'm just grateful that Wilkins at least has the bollox to stick with it. :albion2:

probably as he is getting paid a full wage to stick with it

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here