Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wilkins in or out

Wilkins in or out

• Total voters

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
I dont want a massive debate on it from my side, but you all know how I feel about Wilkins. It really boils down to what does the board want from this season or next.

If they want a manager who doesnt seem to be taking the club forward and serving up trash week in week out, occassionally picking up a win or two against poor oposition then Wendy is their man...but if we want progression and good performances and consistancy I feel he is falling way short of that.

As far as I am concerned this season is over.....But if we finish the last six games poorly and we have no lynch pin to drive into next season with...I say we get rid..and give the new man the summer to change the club around for a fresh promotion drive.

Dandyman

In London village.
As far as I am concerned this season is over...

Funny that, I thought we were 9 points off the play-offs and had 3 games in hand.

Still, must bow down to teenage wisdom.

Monsieur Leclerc

Café Rene. In disguise!
Apr 24, 2006
byf, I think the man deserves his chance. He is still moulding the squad and by the sound of things we are having a clear out at the end of this season. We can keep chopping and changing managers when the going gets tough.

I was very pleased with the way the team were performing midway through this season. We played some decent stuff and we were hard to beat. The wheels fell off when the team was partially dismantled and we have been up and down ever since.

I honestly do not feel it would be beneficial to the team to change the manager when we are on the cusp of building a side that is good enough to challenge in the near future.

As for Wilkins' substitutes. He has pulled off some great moves this season and some not so. Not every substitution is going to work wonders and particularly so when we have a weak(ish) bench.

He came through the test last season. It was always going to be a struggle and quite a few clubs have slipped into the bottom tier immediatly after their relegation.

I think it would be churlish to kick him out at the end of the season, when he has brought in some decent new signings and we are building a decent backbone to the team. Next season is the big test and he deserves to take that on. If anything, perhaps the club should think about getting an experienced number two in to assist matters.

Contracts are coming to an end of those that are not the force they used to be or those that are not making the grade. He has proven himself to be adept at getting decent players in (Forster, Whing, Thomson, Savage etc) and I think we are on the verge of an exciting period for the club. Just my opinion, like.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Has he gone yet ?.

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
Funny that, I thought we were 9 points off the play-offs and had 3 games in hand.

Still, must bow down to teenage wisdom.

You sir are a maniac!

We could have 10 games in hand and still wouldnt make the playoffs. We are dishing up rubbish week in and week out, we dont look creative, we dont look exciting and for the first time in a while we look like the side that mcghee took down from a higher level. By that I mean dis-interested,slow and boring.

Why do people keep going on about the playoffs......your living in a dream world.

4700 fans....second lowest gate at withdean....people have had enough....Wilkins appointment is costing a lot more than his weekly wage to this club.

Monsieur Leclerc

Café Rene. In disguise!
Apr 24, 2006
You sir are a maniac!

We could have 10 games in hand and still wouldnt make the playoffs. We are dishing up rubbish week in and week out, we dont look creative, we dont look exciting and for the first time in a while we look like the side that mcghee took down from a higher level. By that I mean dis-interested,slow and boring.

Why do people keep going on about the playoffs......your living in a dream world.

4700 fans....second lowest gate at withdean....people have had enough....Wilkins appointment is costing a lot more than his weekly wage to this club.

I don't think anyone really believes that we will make the playoffs, but numbers say that we have an outside chance. Anyone would think we are rooted to the bottom of the table, the way some people are crying over their keyboards.

Besides, it is unfair to put all the blame on Wilkins for the fall in gates. There are many factors involved, not just an inconsistent team.

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
I don't think anyone really believes that we will make the playoffs, but numbers say that we have an outside chance. Anyone would think we are rooted to the bottom of the table, the way some people are crying over their keyboards.

Besides, it is unfair to put all the blame on Wilkins for the fall in gates. There are many factors involved, not just an inconsistent team.

I really feel strongly that the squad is under performaing, weve got some talented players on the pitch and for some unknown reason are not doing it.

Teams like walsall,donny and orient better than us....I think not.

Im not sure whether its the whole falmer thing that has made everyone think....oh well it doesnt matter if we play shit, are inconsistant and cant get 5k fans at home...least were getting falmer........off they skip la la la la

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I don't really see how, given our league position and how the side is just starting to be put together, a draw at home to an in-form playoff team is really that bad a result. Its one you want to win, but sometimes you don't.

I personally have doubts about Wilkins' long-term ability, particularly if we get Falmer and are talking about Championship/Premiership aspirations i.e. yesterday's thread. However, I don't believe there is any given replacement that would necessarily do better in the short term. Once the diggers move in, things might be different.

Also, I find it a touch strange how the so-called "McGhee In" brigade (of which I have always made it clear I am a member of) are so 'Wilkins Out'. I think the sacking of McGhee was disgusting, and I believe we would be in a better position now with him still in charge. However, as a result I wouldn't want the board to do the same thing to yet another manager.

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
I don't really see how, given our league position and how the side is just starting to be put together, a draw at home to an in-form playoff team is really that bad a result. Its one you want to win, but sometimes you don't.

I personally have doubts about Wilkins' long-term ability, particularly if we get Falmer and are talking about Championship/Premiership aspirations i.e. yesterday's thread. However, I don't believe there is any given replacement that would necessarily do better in the short term. Once the diggers move in, things might be different.

Also, I find it a touch strange how the so-called "McGhee In" brigade (of which I have always made it clear I am a member of) are so 'Wilkins Out'. I think the sacking of McGhee was disgusting, and I believe we would be in a better position now with him still in charge. However, as a result I wouldn't want the board to do the same thing to yet another manager.

Good points made.......but surely Knight knows himself that the guy wont ever take this club much higher, if that is the case we are just using him as a sit in boss until we are ready to go to the next level....

As a shareholder or board member or fan...you must want the best for the team....the fans are voting with their feet...

Monsieur Leclerc

Café Rene. In disguise!
Apr 24, 2006
I really feel strongly that the squad is under performaing, weve got some talented players on the pitch and for some unknown reason are not doing it.

Teams like walsall,donny and orient better than us....I think not.

Im not sure whether its the whole falmer thing that has made everyone think....oh well it doesnt matter if we play shit, are inconsistant and cant get 5k fans at home...least were getting falmer........off they skip la la la la

Using your examples as a yardstick, figuratively speaking, Doncaster are better than 21 sides in this division (allowing for 15 points deducted from Leeds). It will be interesting to see what happens to Walsall, now that they have sold two of their best players and Leyton Orient made some cunnings, but have hit a rough patch of form, considering we played them when they were top(?), they are now 8th.

We do have some decent talent in this squad, but a lot of them are still learning and there is a lack of consistency within the ranks. That is something that comes down to the individual player. If some of them performed to their full potential more often than not, they would perhaps be playing in a higher league.

As for the Falmer ‘thing’, I don’t believe it has altered my opinion of the team and I am not going to be satisfied with anything less than a promotion charge next season. Whilst it is important to aim for the top (this season), are we good enough to go up? Our midfield is currently devoid of a creative spark, something that O’Callaghan was able to address, but I don’t think that is a reason to sack the manager. I know this has been said a lot, but we are maybe two players away from being a decent team. If we can get the right men over the summer, then I really will start to feel positive about things. Honestly, would a new manager be able to transform this team?

It is all about adding to the players in my opinion. If you look at our bench over the last month or so, it is quite clear that we have some players that are not currently up to the job and we don't have anyone that can change a game. We are seeing a turnover of players and gradually building a team that is worthy of a place in the upper echelons of this league and above.

Dandyman

In London village.

We may or may not make the play-offs. The point, as you rightly say, is that the season is far from over. We could still make it, we could end up just outside the playoff zone or we could be marooned in mid-table. To say the season is over in mid February, however, is at best defeatism and at worst a total misunderstanding of the point of supporting a local team.

The attendances are poor at the moment. I suspect that has less to do with Wilkins and more to do with relatively high ticket prices, the poor facilities and low level of customer care offered by Withdean and a general weariness with how long the whole saga had dragged on (13 years from the Goldstone to Falmer?).

However, I suspect the travelling support will still be there and we have "big days out" at Forest and Leeds still to come. Audere est facere, as they say in north London.

Dandyman

In London village.

Probably the fairest comment I've seen from that corner.

Monsieur Leclerc

Café Rene. In disguise!
Apr 24, 2006
Good points made.......but surely Knight knows himself that the guy wont ever take this club much higher, if that is the case we are just using him as a sit in boss until we are ready to go to the next level....

What is to say he won’t? When he had the right tools, earlier in the season, we were beginning to look like a decent outfit that was hard to beat. There are more positives than negatives of his progress. I think people are panicking unnecessarily here. Yes, we blow hot and cold and it is very disappointing, but that is part and parcel of being an average League One side. Why are we an average League One side? Circumstances. I am going to be patient and see this season out. Next season is the big test and it would be another backward step to change managers at this point or at the end of the season.

As a shareholder or board member or fan...you must want the best for the team....the fans are voting with their feet...

I think it is very unfair to blame the fall in attendances solely on DW. You only have to read the papers about a mass increase in the cost of living, which means that recreational activities are the first to be surrendered. I am not saying that the standard of football is not part of the reason, but it is certainly not the only reason. Attendances are falling across the board and many clubs do not have to put up with an open air athletics track.

Seagullible

Super Keeper
Jul 7, 2003
Tea room, The Office, Slough
BORING BORING BORING. we are a mid table team with a bright future, please be patient. Wilkins is learning and doing ok, he will take us forward but we don't just have the right to be in the play offs. SOme people have been spoilt in the last few years with the double championship etc and has distorted their view

Last edited:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I dont really care who is manager to be honest.

What more concerns me is the ability of the current crop of players to get us out of this horrendous run of form

Ding Dong !

Boy I'm HOT today !
Jul 26, 2004
Worthing
Been sitting on the fence for sometime now but starting to sway towards geting a highly motivating experienced manager in unless things improve.

Last nights showing was boring at best. Result OK but boring and who wants to pay £24 for that !!!

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Been sitting on the fence for sometime now but starting to sway towards geting a highly motivating experienced manager in unless things improve.

Last nights showing was boring at best. Result OK but boring and who wants to pay £24 for that !!!

I know we're not brilliant at the moment (which is a different issue) but when you buy a ticket you risk a dull game. I have seen LOADS of waaaaaaay worse 0-0 draws than that.

Yoda

English & European
Question to all you morons blaming the performances for the dropping attendances.

If that is the case, then why the f*** are our away attendances still looking as pretty healthy as always?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here