• Up to her

Votes: 30 35.7%
  • Would actively discourage it

Votes: 3 3.6%

• Total voters

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Would you expect your fiance to take your name if you got married. I voiced recently that I would not expect my future wife to and in fact would actively discourage it. For some reason my old man got really arsey about this. Weird.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Mine did, and I have a terrible name.

I think it is pretty shit not to in all honesty. the only exceptions I would concede would be if she were a writer or actress, or glamour model for example whom traded on their name. Even then they could continue to use that proffessionally and take yours anyway.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
She;s taken everything else, might as well have the bloody name as well.

*ducks*

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
my wife took my name. I'd have been pretty narked if she choose not to.
not to mention Mr MYNAMEISTHIS and Mrs HERNAMEISTHAT-DOUBLEBARRELED on bank details, council tax, etc takes too long to write when I have to fill in the paperwork. So Mr and Mrs SAMENAME works best for my lazy self.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Quite right Paddy. AND if she didn't, then when your kids get older and open bank accounts everyone would know their mother's maiden name and be able to steal all their money!

John Dorian

Glass Case of EMOTION
my wife took my name. I'd have been pretty narked if she choose not to.
not to mention Mr MYNAMEISTHIS and Mrs HERNAMEISTHAT-DOUBLEBARRELED on bank details, council tax, etc takes too long to write when I have to fill in the paperwork. So Mr and Mrs SAMENAME works best for my lazy self.

:laugh: that has just made me laugh. You do have a silly, yet unfortunate surname Mr. Samename, don't you Mr. Starry :laugh:

In my response to the thread, too right she will take my name.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
my wife took my name. I\'d have been pretty narked if she choose not to.
I just read that and thought you must be GREEK or something.

The penny didn;t drop till I made a REAL EFFORT at pronouncing your name.

:dunce:

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
It appears I am the only one who would actively discourage.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I suppose some of it might be about the pride a man feels for his family history, that he's following a line that shouldn't be smudged.
But nowadays ours surnames no longer represent what we do for a living, and most likely fail to highlight the strength we've potentially inherited, so it comes down to social association; whether a bride is marrying a man called "Bellamy" and thinks firstly of David or Craig. The former, then the name, and sluggishness, is hers. The latter, then something she fails to want. Both, then she's got making love on Thursday and Friday and Saturday, chilling on Sunday on her mind while her husband wears a tight hat and ever-stubbly face.

I wouldn't enforce a lady to want to be a Mrs Mysurname, as what could i gain, and why would i foolishly look to press her under my order if she had greater pride in her own family's past or struggle. I'd be merry if she said yes and had her own mind for things.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I don't really care, but I hate people with double barreled surnames and you should both have the same name if you're married so that option is ruled out. I'd be up for taking her name, but everyone would just think you were under the thumb or a wierdo, so the best option all round is for her to take my name.

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Its a personal preference thing, I've changed mine and my sister hasn't changed hers...

A few personal reasons, I have been married before, so infact I had my previous husbands name, which after that sad and long period of my life ended I had no wish to be associated with it everyday, and for Zef to see it continually and be reminded, but the main reason for changing my name is that I'm proud to be Mrs Zefarelly, and more than happy for everyone to know me as such. I haven't lost any of my identity, infact I think I've gained...

A few side issues also are that its easier to manage a house when I sign up to the socially acceptable title of Mrs, people assume I'm Mrs Zef. anyhow....but now that we have Arthur its much more straight forward, I don't have to prove my position as his mother as I have the same surname....my sister has a different last name to her son, confusing for him yes!!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I think the practice of using both surnames to create a double barreled name is pretty sad. I went to a school with the daughters Mr Ford and Ms. Brown. Okay you you have tedious surnames don't compound it by using two dull names to make a really pompous one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here