Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wickes - Urgent

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Lord Bracknell said:
The Football League won't be happy with the fact that the Albion are taking a principled stand and refusing to take the scumbag's money. They'll be even less happy that the story has broken in the way it has. We've spoilt the launch party.

DK will no doubt be in line for a smacked bottom.

Is there any danger that the Football League will try and force the club to take the money and the advertising against its will?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I doubt it, but I'm sure we could find ways of spending it appropriately if they did.

'Targets' in the urinals perhaps ?? :lolol:

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Or we create a very simple banner (as we did for Cardiff) which just says:

Shop at B&Q you Know it Makes Sense

and take it to every Home and Away match!

Clubs DO have the right to reject the money. For example, if a Club was already sponsored by B&Q, they might be contractually obliged to opt out.

And it's not just a deal about funding and advertising boards, of course. It's a deal that would entitle Wickes to use the football club's name and images of players in their advertising, and to get free tickets for matches and receive hospitality from the participating clubs.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Hospitality?

The only hospitality Wickes are likely to get is in the Sussex County.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Can you imagine a table of Wickes top brass in the Portakabins at Withdean? Almost worth doing to see what would happen...

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
WE ARE NOT ALONE!

'ANIMAL AID NICKS WICKES'

Britain's biggest animal rights group is urging City investors to boycott the flotation of DIY chain Focus Wickes.

Animal Aid says Focus sells exotic fish mass-bred in factory farms overseas or taken from their natural habitat.

The activists have already persuaded the chain to stop selling reptiles, wild birds and mammals. Animal Aid director Andrew Tyler said the production, capture and transport of fish led to a great deal of disease and death. He told Sun City:

"The particular problem with the sale of animals by Focus is that the glossy environment encourages impulse buys, leading to more irresponsible purchases and much additional suffering. All the evidence points to fish being capable of suffering stress and pain."

Focus Wickes shares will be limited to big City investors at this summer's float. Mr Tyler said the cruelty campaign, which has included in-store demonstrations, would continue until all animal sales stop. He said the company had a duty to tell investors of the battle in its prospectus.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
damn you Archer you're a sCUNThorpe, is there no end to this evil mans madness........GOD i'm pissed off :angry:

balloonboy

aka Jim in the West
Jan 6, 2004
Way out West
Too late! I've already written my letter. In my defence, I would certainly NOT suggest that the Football League don't do sponsorship deals. My regret is that they've decided to do one with Focus Wickes. The thrust of my letter was aimed at reminding the FL what Archer and his side-kicks tried to do to one of Britain's oldest professional clubs. A point worth making, methinks.

balloonboy

aka Jim in the West
Jan 6, 2004
Way out West
Incidentally, it seems DK and MP must have had a rethink on this, as I'm pretty sure the story was on the web site for a few hours yesterday, but then withdrawn.

Jul 14, 2003
BN2
CrabtreeBHA said:
...we are allowed to say what we want and I dont want anyone who aint my Mum or Boss telling me otherwise!
True enough but, in my book, "please refrain from sending these letters" is a request, not an instruction.
I'm on the list of supporters saying that DK's made the right stand. Archer wouldn't be putting money up if he didn't think he'd be getting a good return on it in terms of PR. On that basis I don't think we should touch his money on principle.

balloonboy said:
Incidentally, it seems DK and MP must have had a rethink on this, as I'm pretty sure the story was on the web site for a few hours yesterday, but then withdrawn.
Withdrawn at the request of the FL ... according to someone I know with connections at the Club.

Lord Bracknell said:
Withdrawn at the request of the FL ... according to someone I know with connections at the Club.

Basically, "our" club has had the gun held at their head by the FL "Thought Police," because we've refused to kiss the arses of the Corperate spivs who donate their spare pennies to be "prefered sponsors"?!?...In spite of the fact the money originates from bastard Bill, it rather sums up all that is rotten about the modern game......

Last edited:

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Zeitgeist said:
Basically, "our" club has had the gun held at their head by the FL "Thought Police," because we've refused to kiss the arses of the Corperate spivs who donate their spare pennies to be "prefered sponsors"?!?...In spite of the fact the money originates from bastard Bill, it rather sums up all that is rotten about the modern game......

Exactly, if anything the FL should know exactly what Archer put us through and stuck teo fingers up at him when he offered this Cash Fund thing....but nooooooooo its all about f***ing money is'nt it, the FL dont care about our past or care who they are dealing with....I swear if this bloke EVER gets back into a football club I will target the FL personally for allowing him to do so....god i'm pissed off today :angry:

CrabtreeBHA said:
he's just made a point that as the club have said "No dont do it" a vast majority wont (not that anyone probably would've anyway but the point is justified), we are allowed to say what we want and I dont want anyone who aint my Mum or Boss telling me otherwise!

Straw that broke the camels back. How anyone can be so negative is beyond me. It's like arguing with a 2 year old and I can't be arsed any more.

The Great Cornholio said:
Straw that broke the camels back. How anyone can be so negative is beyond me. It's like arguing with a 2 year old and I can't be arsed any more.

Well, keep going, you speak for the vast silent majority who can't be bothered taking issue with the whingers.

Mr P is the biggest sheep on NSC because he always follows the course of kicking the club at every available whingeing opportunity. One day he may surprise us by saying something positive, constructive and vaguely interesting. But I'd bet on one of Gareth's nags before backing that.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Personally, I am loathe to scrap my letter.

I have written to Brian Mawhinney expressing MY views and MY opinions on the matter. I am not naive enough to think that my letter will make the slightest jot of difference to the deal between Focus Wickes and the Football League, but I don't see why I should shy away from expressing my views to the authorities and telling them why I think this deal with Bill Archer is offensive.

Dick Knight has not launched a campaign for supporters to write in objection to the deal, I've just done this off my own back. The letter is not expressed as the views of the club - their point has already been made in throwing that £60k back in Archers face. I am merely writing as a fan of Brighton and Hove Albion, expressing my view that this deal is utterly reprehensible (damn, wish I'd used that word now).

Perhaps the club just want to be seen to be publically discouraging fans from writing to the Football League re this - Dick and Martin can then justifiably hold their hands up and say "nothing to do with us guv, we asked them not to write". If thats the case then fair enough, they're just covering their arses. But I'm buggered if I'm going to be told not to tell the authorities what I, as a fan, think of them for brokering a cash deal with the Antichrist.

Last edited:

London Irish said:
Well, keep going, you speak for the vast silent majority who can't be bothered taking issue with the whingers.

Mr P is the biggest sheep on NSC because he always follows the course of kicking the club at every available whingeing opportunity. One day he may surprise us by saying something positive, constructive and vaguely interesting. But I'd bet on one of Gareth's nags before backing that.

Someone else's turn LI! ;) I bite too easily and it wind's me up too much. Ignore list is much better suited for my sanity.

The one's that really get me are the one's that post complete and utter drivel and then compain we are denying their right to a point of view when we point out the absurdity of their comments.

Still, it could be worse. Have a look at the Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 forum if you want to see a really bad forum. There are so many kids posting dross that it is one big slanging match.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here