Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why the postponement at Ibrox?

Rangers have postponed their SPL match at the weekend because Eddie Thompson has died. Who? Oh, he's the opposing team's chaiman. It wasn't sudden, and at 66 not far off the average male lifespan in Scotland. So how can they justify the disruption and cost for 40000+ fans? He's hardly Princess Diana!

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
It's like a minutes silence (or the god-awful "minutes applause") whereby over the years we have started instigating it for almost anyone and everyone. At this rate we'll be having a minutes silence / applause for the groundsman dog in a few years time.

We are becoming a bunch of sentimental girls these days. What's wrong with simply donning a black armband and getting on with things?

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
It's like a minutes silence (or the god-awful "minutes applause") whereby over the years we have started instigating it for almost anyone and everyone. At this rate we'll be having a minutes silence / applause for the groundsman dog in a few years time.

We are becoming a bunch of sentimental girls these days. What's wrong with simply donning a black armband and getting on with things?
Indeed, in fact one could argue it's almost at that stage now. So now of course the tributes have to be 'ramped up' and instead of Rangers holding a respectful minutes silence for the chairman of a football club they've postponed a game.

What next? Sacrificing virgins in the centre circle?

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Hereford Game Off

As a mark of respect to Beryl Watson of 23 Seaview Crescent, Hove, the game between Brighton & Hove Albion and Hereford at Withdean on Saturday, 18 October has been postponed.

The Football League had dialogue with the Club this morning and it was agreed to postpone the match.

Beryl, a lifelong Hove resident, sadly lost her battle against Alzheimers on Tuesday. Beryl was 93, and although she never attended a Brighton game, it is believed her grandson Tom went to school with someone whose Dad went to the playoff final at Cardiff and the cup game at Spurs a few years ago.

There will also be three hours of compulsory applause before all of the other Football League Division One games on Saturday and Sunday to enable the FL clubs and their fans to pay their own tribute to Beryl. The game involving Bury will also be postponed, as it sounds a bit like Beryl.

In addition the US Presidential Elections, due in November, will now be held in 10 months time, as it is believed Beryl knew soemone who once went to Florida for a holiday.

Trading on the stock exchange will also be suspended, and all flights scheduled to depart from UK airports in the next 72 hours will be cancelled.

bobbab5

Sep 5, 2003
Ely, Cambs.
Hereford Game Off

As a mark of respect to Beryl Watson of 23 Seaview Crescent, Hove, the game between Brighton & Hove Albion and Hereford at Withdean on Saturday, 18 October has been postponed.

The Football League had dialogue with the Club this morning and it was agreed to postpone the match.

Beryl, a lifelong Hove resident, sadly lost her battle against Alzheimers on Tuesday. Beryl was 93, and although she never attended a Brighton game, it is believed her grandson Tom went to school with someone whose Dad went to the playoff final at Cardiff and the cup game at Spurs a few years ago.

There will also be three hours of compulsory applause before all of the other Football League Division One games on Saturday and Sunday to enable the FL clubs and their fans to pay their own tribute to Beryl. The game involving Bury will also be postponed, as it sounds a bit like Beryl.

In addition the US Presidential Elections, due in November, will now be held in 10 months time, as it is believed Beryl knew soemone who once went to Florida for a holiday.

Trading on the stock exchange will also be suspended, and all flights scheduled to depart from UK airports in the next 72 hours will be cancelled.
LOL! :lolol::lolol::lolol:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
What next? Sacrificing virgins in the centre circle?

But this would cause more postponements as the deaths would occur at football grounds.[/QUOTE]

Depends on what type of "sacrificing" we're talking about ;)

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Depends on what type of "sacrificing" we're talking about ;)

I've only just twigged what you meant - how rude![/QUOTE]

Could bring the crowds back.

Any virgins want to be sacrificed? it's all for the Albion y'know, if you were a good fan you would.

:p

I'm as unhappy as the next man at the profusion of one-minute silences, and don't even get me on to the topic of two-minute silences :rant:, but Eddie Thompson was so much more than "just another chairman". If every club chairman was like him, football would be a far, far finer world. It's not just the way in which he was intrumental in setting up a fans' trust which is now the second-largest share-owner of the club, and his putting of fans on the board, it is the general way in which he behaved - he believed completely that club owners and chairmen are custodians (his word) of the club and that the fans are absolutely the most important thing. And it was not only within his own club that he argued for this, for he tried to spread that gospel - he was the conscience of Scottish football, as far as I am concerned, and the whole of football is far poorer for his loss. You can't even begin to imagine to love the club's fans have for him - I certainly have never come across such chairman-fan rapport and mutual respect anywhere else - and you can't even begin to imagine the respect in which he is held even by fans of other clubs.

For the record, I don't think the game should have been cancelled - I think it should have been played as a celebration of the man and his approach to football. But don't go thinking that Eddie Thompson is *just* "the opposing team's chairman". That is to fail to get the measure of the man.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I'm as unhappy as the next man at the profusion of one-minute silences, and don't even get me on to the topic of two-minute silences :rant:, but Eddie Thompson was so much more than "just another chairman". If every club chairman was like him, football would be a far, far finer world. It's not just the way in which he was intrumental in setting up a fans' trust which is now the second-largest share-owner of the club, and his putting of fans on the board, it is the general way in which he behaved - he believed completely that club owners and chairmen are custodians (his word) of the club and that the fans are absolutely the most important thing. And it was not only within his own club that he argued for this, for he tried to spread that gospel - he was the conscience of Scottish football, as far as I am concerned, and the whole of football is far poorer for his loss. You can't even begin to imagine to love the club's fans have for him - I certainly have never come across such chairman-fan rapport and mutual respect anywhere else - and you can't even begin to imagine the respect in which he is held even by fans of other clubs.

For the record, I don't think the game should have been cancelled - I think it should have been played as a celebration of the man and his approach to football. But don't go thinking that Eddie Thompson is *just* "the opposing team's chairman". That is to fail to get the measure of the man.

Excellent post :clap:

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.

A point very well made, but Beryl Watson was a truly magnificent woman as well. She used to collect rubbish of the streets, and would turn them into models of famous buildings, and sell them in her front garden to raise money for the RSPB. her love for birds was legendary, and would take in up to two dozen injured birds a week, before carefully nursing them back to health.

Sadly in her latter years she would keep the birds captive, fattening them up before using them in her rather bizarre recipes. No-one who ever tasted her sparrow jam, will completely rid themselves of the taste.

But her heart was in the right place, and will be sorely missed by everyone in Hove and the surrounding area. A marvellous woman.

Last edited:

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

True, he was a good chairman, one of the old school, and by football standards a great man. Consequently an impeccably observed minute's silence at Ibrox (if it could be done which is moot) would have been a fitting tribute. And you do admit that postponing the match was a tribute too far.

But you also must admit that bhafc99's excellent post sums up the way football's going.

EDIT: I wonder if the fact that Rangers were worried about their fans not observing a minute's silence was what prompted them to postpone?

True, he was a good chairman, one of the old school, and by football standards a great man. Consequently an impeccably observed minute's silence at Ibrox (if it could be done which is moot) would have been a fitting tribute. And you do admit that postponing the match was a tribute too far.

But you also must admit that bhafc99's excellent post sums up the way football's going.

EDIT: I wonder if the fact that Rangers were worried about their fans not observing a minute's silence was what prompted them to postpone?

Especially as Dundee Utd are predominately RC (Dundee are Protestant, I believe).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here