Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why the hatred??

Reids-Belly

Aug 9, 2010
Worthing
Afternoon all,

I've been an Albion fan for about 10 years, though Spurs are my first team. Now I, like the next guy dislike Palace, but not for any particular reason....mainly just because they are Palace.

I was just wondering, why do Albion fans hate Palace so much?! Is it just that they are fairly close in proximity?! or is there a deeper reason?!

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
Afternoon all,

I've been an Albion fan for about 10 years, though Spurs are my first team. Now I, like the next guy dislike Palace, but not for any particular reason....mainly just because they are Palace.

I was just wondering, why do Albion fans hate Palace so much?! Is it just that they are fairly close in proximity?! or is there a deeper reason?!

we've been aggressive rivals since the 70's. The only difference is we've barely played them over the past 4 decades.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Afternoon all,

You are either:
a) :fishing:
b) haven't been an Albion fan for 10 years
or
c) a retard

Given that Spurs are your 1st team, I'm tempted to think c) is definitely the case, though it's probably all 3.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I don't really hate them either, the only team I dislike at the moment is Leeds.

Reids-Belly

Aug 9, 2010
Worthing
You are either:
or
c) a retard

Given that Spurs are your 1st team, I'm tempted to think c) is definitely the case, though it's probably all 3.

What i meant is where does the rivalry come from originally(which i'm pretty sure is more than 10 years ago). Why you feel the need to be insulting i'm not too sure. It was a serious question, if you don't want to answer, don't.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
You are either:
or
c) a retard

:laugh::laugh::laugh: :thumbsup:

Why dont you use the search facility on here Reid's Belly, this has been discussed so many times on here since you have been an Albion fan :thumbsup:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
The teams first met in the 1906/07 in a Southern League fixture which saw the Albion win 2-1, the clubs would go on to meet many times in both the Southern league and then division 3 (south) with honours fairly even but although there were some great matches the teams never really considered each other as their main rival until the mid seventies.

There were quite a few reasons why things intensified, the clubs were neck and neck footballing wise, the legendary Alan Mullery (Brighton) and Terry Venables (Palace) did not like each other (to say the least!) and the upsurge in hooliganism but it was an FA Cup first round tie in 1976, which really stoked the fires.

In 1976-77 season the teams met no less than five times: twice in the league and three times in an F.A Cup tie. After stalemates at the Goldstone and Selhurst Park the FA Cup Second Replay was held at Stamford Bridge that Palace narrowly won. Mullery was incensed by some diabolical refereeing decisions from Ron Challis including a penalty that had to be retaken and a disallowed goal! After provocation from the Palace fans he justifiably flung down five pound notes change into a puddle and screamed 'You're not worth that, Palace' whilst gesticulating at them.
He instantly became a legend with the Brighton and a villain in Croydon and it was then that the rivalry really kicked in, both on and off the field, quite often reaching boiling point.

It was also around this time that the Albion changed their nickname from 'Dolphins' to 'Seagulls' in response to Palace's 'Eagles'. Over the next few years the rivalry would get even stronger and Boxing Day would gain greater significance for both clubs.

Reids-Belly

Aug 9, 2010
Worthing
:laugh::laugh::laugh: :thumbsup:

Why dont you use the search facility on here Reid's Belly, this has been discussed so many times on here since you have been an Albion fan :thumbsup:

Looks like i've been saved a job.

The teams first met in the 1906/07 in a Southern League fixture which saw the Albion win 2-1, the clubs would go on to meet many times in both the Southern league and then division 3 (south) with honours fairly even but although there were some great matches the teams never really considered each other as their main rival until the mid seventies.

There were quite a few reasons why things intensified, the clubs were neck and neck footballing wise, the legendary Alan Mullery (Brighton) and Terry Venables (Palace) did not like each other (to say the least!) and the upsurge in hooliganism but it was an FA Cup first round tie in 1976, which really stoked the fires.

In 1976-77 season the teams met no less than five times: twice in the league and three times in an F.A Cup tie. After stalemates at the Goldstone and Selhurst Park the FA Cup Second Replay was held at Stamford Bridge that Palace narrowly won. Mullery was incensed by some diabolical refereeing decisions from Ron Challis including a penalty that had to be retaken and a disallowed goal! After provocation from the Palace fans he justifiably flung down five pound notes change into a puddle and screamed 'You're not worth that, Palace' whilst gesticulating at them.
He instantly became a legend with the Brighton and a villain in Croydon and it was then that the rivalry really kicked in, both on and off the field, quite often reaching boiling point.

It was also around this time that the Albion changed their nickname from 'Dolphins' to 'Seagulls' in response to Palace's 'Eagles'. Over the next few years the rivalry would get even stronger and Boxing Day would gain greater significance for both clubs.

Thanks very much :thumbsup:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
We don't hate Palace, we despise them of course but being decent people we also feel sorry for them.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
Its just behind your keyboard internet bravado. In real life we dont actually care or have the balls to say anything if we met a real Palace fan. :jester:

I actually dont mind them at all, have made a few friends on the Palace side

This.

I have tried to hate Palace, I really have, but I still find the likes of Man United, Chelsea etc etc FAR more deserving of hatred than Palace ever will be. Those clubs are everything that is wrong with modern football. Palace, and their supporters, quite simply aren't.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
I don't dislike Palace as much as I used to, it was replaced and fuelled by Manchester United.

:thumbsup: whereas I maintain a healthy hatred towards both , and if it came to the crunch probably hate the red shite more

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I don't hate Palace at all. My Dad was a Palace fan, his Dad was a Palace fan and my mum was a Palace fan - they're my family team.

UP THE PALLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

EDIT: And I'm from the Croydon area.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I love Manchester United, in comparison to how much I hate Palace.

But I do hate Chelsea too, and Man City, and Liverpool.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here