Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

why still no loan striker signings ?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
As a supplier of goal not an actual scorer and the other hasnt looked likely to hit the net very often this season. He appear to very rarely be in the right place at the right time unlike natural goalscorers.

You seem to be in an argumentative mood this evening and you're wrong which is all I'm going to say about it.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am not in an exceptionally argumentative mood but do not think that either Dobbie or Barnes are capable of scoring the goals that we would need to get promoted. It has shown that without CMS we are toothless. Dobbie will help CMS score goals and Barnes is a good foil but neither are goalscorers who would get 20 goals a season. To get promoted we need at least 2 players to do that.

Last edited:

J2 BHA

NSC Patron
Jul 28, 2004
Had a lively debate with a mate on Tuesday where I'd said Poyet was culpable for a couple of poor results due to his inability to ensure sufficient striking options, all well and good having a million midfielders but we need goals.

My mate was of the opinion that Poyet could obviously not get the right strikers in and, as such, felt it was right we're in a position to have no out and out strikers fit/playing.

I could definitely see what he meant but surely we can get someone in, ok they might not be exactly what we're after but gotta be better than nowt?

Feb 9, 2011
Lancing
Just a shame Kevin Phillips didn't want to move south last year would have been perfect

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I am not in an exceptionally argumentative mood but do not think that either Dobbie or Barnes are capable of scoring the goals that we would need to get promoted. It has shown that without CMS we are toothless. Dobbie will help CMS score goals and Barnes is a good foil but neither are goalscorers who would get 20 goals a season. To get promoted we need at least 2 players to do that.

When was the last time a Championship team got promoted with two players who got 20 goals each?

culvers

Jul 6, 2003
Sutton
Perhaps the three months loan would be more useful once the players return after the international break. Gus was in the Argus, saying that the period after the International games (Nov, Dec, jan) is very busy so maybe he is waiting til then. Having said that, I am not sure we need someone on loan - I doubt we would get the quality to better what we have really.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
When was the last time a Championship team got promoted with two players who got 20 goals each?

I would think that virtually every season the promoted teams have a strike force, usually a pair, who score the biggest part of 40 goals between them.

As I have said previously I would prefer an old poacher who is in the last chance saloon to come on with 30 mins to go if needed.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I would think that virtually every season the promoted teams have a strike force, usually a pair, who score the biggest part of 40 goals between them.

As I have said previously I would prefer an old poacher who is in the last chance saloon to come on with 30 mins to go if needed.

Reading didn't have one striker in the top ten goal scorers last season.

1 Rickie Lambert Southampton 27
2 Ricardo Vaz Tê Barnsley/West Ham 22
3 Billy Sharp Doncaster Rovers/Southampton 19
4 Ross McCormack Leeds United 18
5 Kevin Phillips Blackpool 16
Charlie Austin Burnley
Marlon King Birmingham City
Matty Fryatt Hull City
9 Jay Rodriguez Burnley 15
Darius Henderson Millwall
David Nugent Leicester City

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
As a supplier of goal not an actual scorer and the other hasnt looked likely to hit the net very often this season. He appear to very rarely be in the right place at the right time unlike natural goalscorers.

I would say he gets into good positions pretty reguarly considering he is being asked to play a withdrawn role in most games. If he was spending most of the game in an advanced position you would probably moan he was not taking his defensive duties seriously!

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011

Which actually translates as

"I've made a sweeping statement, there are no facts to back it up, so now I'm going to present an assumption"

Guess what? you THINK WRONG.

Here are some FACTS;
  • The teams that get promoted each season do not tend to have a 40 goal "strikeforce" (whatever that is)
  • There are not 20 goal a season or ageing goal poachers hanging around looking for work. If they were easy to find, then every club would have them.

In general teams that go up have a strike force where the leading marksmen score 20 goals. Reading were very much the exception last time around.

With the Albion, concede first, we don't win games.

A season knocking on the doors of the playoffs will be progress. If we are still third by the end of this month, I for one maybe convinced that we do not need an out & out old fashioned centre forward.

Derby v BHA - Score Predictor

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
It's not strikers it's the final ball.

Quality wide players just need a bit more quality with the end product. That said if they all crossed like Beckham; Buckley, Orlandi and KLL would all be in the Premiership.

In the midfield the only player with a final ball is Dicker as Bridcutt and Hammond are holding which enables Bridge and Bruno to push on. I know Calderon set up the goal on Tuesday but he does not have the attacking skills of Bruno.

We are not far off a top side, stay with it!

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Totally agree. Barnes, Dobbie and Toby are great alongside a main leading the line striker but it seems to me when CMS is unavailable we are are seriously lacking in that type of out and out striker.
about
THIS!!! We can compete for top 6 at the moment but a 'special' loan up front could see us as contenders. I'm really concerned about how we're supposed to score goals without CMS in the team at the moment :(

xollob

Jun 9, 2012
Brighton
If you keyboard warriors :wanker: had bothered to read a comment made by Gus earlier in the emergency loan period and indeed had the ability to remember that far back then you would have known and presumably understood that Gus had said that "As the loan period is for 90 days only, then to get a loan STRIKER :goal: early into the loan window would disqualify them from playing the busy Xmas :xmas:/ new year fixtures as their loan would have expired by then !!!
SIMPLE MATHEMATICS !!!
YAWN !!!!!!!

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Tranmere are firing in the goals - the big french lad Agro Apro or something has looked a handful, they also have a 19year old who is scoring for fun. Could be useful additions to our squad.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here