Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why so many police on Sat

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
They do have some "training matches" - perhaps this was one of those.
Can't say that I noticed more than usual - was it inside or outside the ground?

From Preston Park station to the ground:
- didn't let us walk through the wood. I seem to recall we weren't supposed to when we first moved to Withdean, but this hasn't been enforced for 10 years ...
- then loads of them along the main road, on foot and in vans.

All officers were perfectly polite, but lots of people were asking why they were there (which seems a reasonable question; maybe there's a risk to our safety we should be aware of) and being told "don't know" as an answer to every question! It seemed odd.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
My thoughts are that they were needed for the Marathon and so took the whole weekend as overtime. What better way to deploy extra police than at a football match?

stonski

Jan 31, 2009
Cowfold
Both inside and outside. Didn't hear of any trouble before or after so maybe it was just a training day. I guess there are still different category of games and Sheff W might just be in the higher risk group than most of the teams we have played this season? Not sure why though other than they filled the away end.

I think it was because at the last game I told the woman in the burger van not to be so bloody rude.Then word got around that I was ready to raise a right old rumpus this week and I really can be an absolute wretch when I`m rattled.

southwickseagull

Mar 4, 2004
southwick
And what was with the half a dozen blokes in shirts and ties who appeared in front of D block 10 minutes before half time?

siclean

ex hollingbury
Apr 14, 2009
They were on the look out for weds hardest supporter... leader of the shaft wed crew ... spotted here at the withdean early sat morning

Lord-of-the-chavs-antichavism-79515_500_375.jpg

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
My thoughts are that they were needed for the Marathon and so took the whole weekend as overtime. What better way to deploy extra police than at a football match?

:lolol: Have you any idea how much police budgets are being cut by??

And it's almost unheard of for police to be paid overtime for Albion matches: for starters the most games require minimal policing anyway so they're simply not needed, and secondly, the dates of the games are known weeks if not months in advance, so officers are either shuffled around from normal duties, or have their rest days cancelled and re-rostered, thereby incurring no overtime.

Might be a great big overtime gravy train in the Met, but Sussex are tight as anything when it comes to paying out any more than they absolutely have to.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
:lolol: Have you any idea how much police budgets are being cut by??

And it's almost unheard of for police to be paid overtime for Albion matches: for starters the most games require minimal policing anyway so they're simply not needed, and secondly, the dates of the games are known weeks if not months in advance, so officers are either shuffled around from normal duties, or have their rest days cancelled and re-rostered, thereby incurring no overtime.

Might be a great big overtime gravy train in the Met, but Sussex are tight as anything when it comes to paying out any more than they absolutely have to.

I know someone from Sussex Police who gets over time to police certain high profile Brighton or Crawley matchs because he is riot trained, or something like that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here