Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why should Jarrett lose his place?

GUNTER

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton
I will be annoyed if it happens, wait until he has a bad game :angry:

Show you are worth a place
by Andy Naylor

Alexandre Frutos trained with the Seagulls for the first time yesterday Albion manager Mark McGhee today challenged new French signing Alexandre Frutos to show he is worth a place at Leeds on Saturday.

Frutos will make his debut in English football on the left wing at Elland Road, providing he proves to McGhee he deserves to oust Albert Jarrett.

Frutos trained with the Seagulls for the first time yesterday following his deadline day move on a free transfer from Metz.

McGhee must decide whether to throw the 23-year-old straight in or keep faith with Jarrett.

African-born Jarrett has started the last two matches and set up Richard Carpenter's clinching second goal in the victory over Plymouth at Withdean eight days ago.

"Alexandre has got to show us this week that he can do better than Albert," McGhee said.

"We are here to play the best team we can put out there, so if he looks to me this week as if he will do a better job than Albert has then he will be in but he is not just going in for the sake of it."

Frutos believes he is fit enough to do himself justice against Leeds, even though he has been out-of-favour at Metz.

"It would be a great match to play in as my first," he said. "I have not played a lot of matches with Metz but I'm ready physically."

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Jarrett should start. The few times he has played this season he has produced. However its right that no player should feel comfortable knowing that they are an automatic start.

Deano's Right Foot

Jul 5, 2003
Barcombe
Maybe McGhee is using mind games. I guess that he'll start with Jarrett with Fruity on the bench. Just to spur Albert on like.

But I'm normally wrong.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think Fruity will probably start on the bench. I guess Tiny Cox will make way.

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
brightonfan_86 said:
I don't think we should drop Jarett, he played excellent again Plymouth, There no need to change the squad against Leeds.

I agree, if a player performs well when he gets the shirt, he should keep it until he fails to perform. That way, players tend to be more motivated to get into the team, rather than think that they cannot win whatever they do.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
brightonfan_86 said:
I don't think we should drop Jarett, he played excellent again Plymouth, There no need to change the squad against Leeds.

Sounds sensible but I actually can't fully agree.

I think MM has to pick a side that will challange and compete in every department against the known oposition. I would guess that MM must be much more concerned about the striking power of Leeds than he was of Plymouth. As such, I think he will want to stave the Leeds strikers of ball supply, so we must be very strong in the midfield to do this and not fritter possession - unfortunately this is not Albys strongest suite - but not knowing anything about Fruity, I could honestly say which of those two is better - but I wouldn't be surprised to Nicolas start.

Father Jack

Aug 21, 2005
Jarrett has earnt his place therefore it is only right that he keeps his place untill he plays badly.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
There is a reserves game at 2pm tomorrow where Frutos will be watched to see what he does.

It's great that we have competition for positions in the team now.

Father Jack

Aug 21, 2005
Yorkie said:
There is a reserves game at 2pm tomorrow where Frutos will be watched to see what he does.

It's great that we have competition for positions in the team now.

Agreed well said:clap2:

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Father Jack said:
I wouldnt say the biggest but certainly the most healthy looking options wise.

In attack and midfield, yes... in defence, no... where is the competition for Big Guy and McShane (please let the latter be fit for Sat)?... where is the competition for Kerry (who is not good enough anyway, IMHO)?...

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Brilliant stuff from McGhee.

He has now thrown the gauntlet down to all members of the squad to say that they have got to work their bollocks off if they want to keep the shirt.

Personally, I think Albert should start against Leeds but he will know that if he doesn't go out on the pitch with a spot-on attitude, there is someone on the bench raring to go.

:clap2:

Last edited:

sirmax2004

Sep 7, 2005
Brighton
jarret was quality against plymouth and should keep his place providing he's been doin well in training. however if mcghee thinks fruity will do a better job than jarret on saturday then i'm sure he'll start. either way we starting to look decent (in midfield and attack anyway) with the players knowing that if they dont play consistently well and don't put the effort in then they'll be dropped

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here