Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why only one sub?...

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Redhead said:
Agree with that, we were crying out for players to run at them, if McCammon couldn't out muscle the centre halfs, which he didn't IMO, change the plan and run at them. Hopefully we'll get it right at Southampton, but i'm not to hopefullycould be another pasting.
Well I thought McCammon was causing enough problems and winning enough in the air to justify leaving him on, and at 2-1 down there's no way I'd have brought him off. But taking off Kaz for Leon made no sense whatsoever.

I agree we needed someone to run at them. Bringing on Jake for Frutos (who was totally anonymous in that 2nd half) would've given them something else to think about. As for Leon, I've had it with him now. I just wish he'd f*** off sharpish. His talent is a fraction of his ego, and its pretty clear he can't cut it at this level. Hopefully he'll be off next month.

Last edited:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Theatre of Trees said:

Coz it was clear Fruty was having a bit of a mare and giving the ball away too cheaply...

Anyway Danny Wilsons Blue & White Army :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Tony Meolas Loan Spell said:
Coz it was clear Fruty was having a bit of a mare and giving the ball away too cheaply...

A bit like Kazim. The ball kept bouncing off him.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Turkey said:
A bit like Kazim. The ball kept bouncing off him.
Exactly.

Nothing wrong with bringing off CKR but the rest of the team were still playing like arseholes so it didn't really make a difference.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Tony Meolas Loan Spell said:

But would Robinson have done any better? Not sure if Carole going to the left hand side would have been any better either. Both him and Fruity swapped a number of times during the match and neither looked that comfortable on the opposite flank.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Theatre of Trees said:
But would Robinson have done any better?
Without trying we'll never know, i recken he could have been right up for it having not played much of late, it's just a bit bemusing that McGhee didn't use his full allocation of subs, by not trying to change things it was like he was accepting defeat.

Last edited:

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Trigger said:
Without trying we'll never know, i recken he could have been right up for it having not played much of late, it's just a bit bemusing that McGhee didn't use his full allocation of subs, by not trying to change things it was like he was accepting defeat.

Bullshit. Putting Mayo and Elphick on would have been accepting defeat!!

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
No need to get abusive Turkey, it's nice that you stand by McGhee, i'd rather have seen some fresh blood on though for the tiring players, Robinson could easily have attacked Millwall's tiring defenders with his pace and even bringing on Mayo at LB and pushing El-Abd to CB and moving one of Butters or McShane, who are two of our more prolific goalscorers this season up front would have been better than sitting on a defeat and doing chuff all about it.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Trigger said:
No need to get abusive Turkey, it's nice that you stand by McGhee, i'd rather have seen some fresh blood on though for the tiring players, Robinson could easily have attacked Millwall's tiring defenders with his pace and even bringing on Mayo at LB and pushing El-Abd to CB and moving one of Butters or McShane, who are two of our more prolific goalscorers this season up front would have been better than sitting on a defeat and doing chuff all about it.

I wasn't abusive. Abusive would be saying you smell like bullshit!

What youre suggesting is that he should have been cluttching at straws. The players we had out there were capable of getting a goal and almost did.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Turkey said:
I wasn't abusive. Abusive would be saying you smell like bullshit!
And you smell of granny wee. :p

If you don't try these things you'll never know Turkey, who is to say we wouldn't have won 3-2 with two new players on the park in the last 25 minutes... Instead we lost 3 points, but like you say it may not have worked, would just have been nice to see something being tried.

Trigger said:
As a manager, if your team losing are you not supposed to make changes, especially when the performance has dropped to an unacceptable level.

Because we actually got back on top of Millwall in the last 20 minutes or so and looked the most likely team to score, Knight certainly had a couple of good chances to equalise.

We had few options on the bench. Jake coming on would have meant either sacrificing our best player Big Mac or one of the midfielders who had got the grip of the game back.

It would have been a gamble and McGhee decided obviously it wasn't worth making, and if you'd have watched the flow of the game in that last quarter of the game, you'd understand why.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Trigger said:
And you smell of granny wee. :p

If you don't try these things you'll never know Turkey, who is to say we wouldn't have won 3-2 with two new players on the park in the last 25 minutes... Instead we lost 3 points, but like you say it may not have worked, would just have been nice to see something being tried.

Yeah but he tried by keeping with the players out there. At that stage, who is to say we wouldn't have got something? We nearly did. Its all ifs and buts, end of the day, throwing on the extra subs wouldn't have necessarily helped us.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
After 2 minutes of the second half, because that was how long it took to see that Millwall were going to attack our left side I would have taken off Frutos and brought on Mayo to cover El Abd.

Repugnant Toad said:
Bloody ridiculous - Frutos was having the most impressive 'mare of the season, and McGhee decided sitting on his arse and staring into space was a better idea than doing what he's paid for. Useless.

It amazes me how someone with a temperament like yours can come out with such bizarre OTT judgements like this.

Frutos was one of our best players in the first half. Many of his crosses were troubling the Millwall keeper. Granted, he looked less effective going backwards in the second half than he did going forwards in the first half, that is the player we have in this guy. But to say we should have taken this speedy, creative player off when we were looking for a goal is a very odd, unlogical opinion. Frutos is exactly the kind of player you need ON when chasing the game, even though he can be a liability sometimes when you are defending a lead or a draw.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Like you say, it is all if buts and gambles but you've got to buy a ticket to win the raffle.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Trigger said:
Like you say, it is all if buts and gambles but you've got to buy a ticket to win the raffle.

He did buy a ticket - Big Mac and Leon up front, Carole and Fruity on the wings, Carole acting as a third striker actually.

BensGrandad said:
After 2 minutes of the second half, because that was how long it took to see that Millwall were going to attack our left side I would have taken off Frutos and brought on Mayo to cover El Abd.
That probably would have happened if we'd have had 15 or 20 minutes left to defend a lead. But to go into defensive mode with a full half left would be asking for Millwall to come on to you.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Turkey said:
He did buy a ticket - Big Mac and Leon up front, Carole and Fruity on the wings, Carole acting as a third striker actually.
Sadly, it was the wrong ticket, but the other one could also have been wrong but then again it could have been the 1st prize, who knows, this is just going to go round in circles i feel.

Last edited:

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
London Irish said:
It amazes me how someone with a temperament like yours can come out with such bizarre OTT judgements like this.

Frutos was one of our best players in the first half. Many of his crosses were troubling the Millwall keeper. Granted, he looked less effective going backwards in the second half than he did going forwards in the first half, that is the player we have in this guy. But to say we should have taken this speedy, creative player off when we were looking for a goal is a very odd, unlogical opinion. Frutos is exactly the kind of player you need ON when chasing the game, even though he can be a liability sometimes when you are defending a lead or a draw.

I'd have to disagree there - in theory, Frutos should be the kind of player you'd want, but he was simply having a nightmare. Nothing was coming off for him, his head was down, and he was only getting worse. Sometimes you've got to take a player off, irrespective of their talent. Though I'm far from a big Robinson fan, I think bringing him on and either switching Leon to the wing or throwing three up front would have given us a better chance of getting back into the game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here